Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Is 4 hours 50 min enough to transfer from NRT to HND?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Booking a United award flight back from China has me going China -> NRT arriving at 7:15pm and then taking off at 12:05am from HND -> LAX. Is this enough time and how should I be getting to HND? Taxi, bus, or train?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I think train. Take Narita Express to Shinagawa and a Keikyu train to Haneda. Alternates are to take Narita Express to Tokyo or Skyliner to Ueno, take a local train to Hamamatsucho and take the monorail. There are some buses to Haneda but the times I don't think work out for you. As to can you make it, yes. You should have no problem.

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:58 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Take the NRT-HND limousine bus. Least hassle, takes up to 90-100 mins depending on the terminal and costs 3,000 yen. There are numerous threads about the service in this forum and the timetable is available here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...-merged-7.html
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your help guys. It looks like the train would be best since the limousine bus only leaves at 7:50 or 10:30 to the international terminal. 7:50 would be too soon and 10:30 too late.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:41 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thatguy47
Thanks for your help guys. It looks like the train would be best since the limousine bus only leaves at 7:50 or 10:30 to the international terminal. 7:50 would be too soon and 10:30 too late.
There are free shuttles between terminals at Haneda which run every 5 minutes.

http://www.tokyo-airport-bldg.co.jp/...huttleBus.html
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I'd go with the Skyliner to Nippori. From Nippori, take to the Yamanote line to Hamamatsucho From Hamamatsucho take the monorail to HND.

At first glance, it might seem like a bit of a hassle to change trains twice but they're actually pretty easy changes. The other potential downside is that you might not get a seat on the Yamanote line - which means standing for 17 minutes. (However, at that time of night, you're likely to be able to snag a seat at some point).

If you have huge luggage and you don't like the idea of using the Yamanote line, the N'EX to Shinagawa and Keikyu to HND is a better bet. N'EX has dedicated storage areas and you'll be on the Keikyu from the first station - which guarantees you a seat.

EDIT - SCRAP this advice. I assumed that the OP had looked at the timetable and found that there were no convenient buses. It seems, (from Richard's post below) that the bus timetable will work just fine. In that case, take the bus.

Last edited by jib71; Jul 16, 2012 at 5:26 am
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:35 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If this is your first stopover in Japan, I am with the people who say to take the limousine bus to ANY part of Haneda and take the shuttle to the proper terminal. There is a bus to Haneda that starts at 8:25pm, getting to Haneda before 10pm. Requires the least thinking, and on this route, traffic is rarely a problem since it doesn't go through the center of Tokyo.

Note that if you arrive at 7:15pm at NRT, it's not a busy time and you may even make the 7:50pm bus!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:15 am

Another vote for the limousine bus here - it's by far the easiest way, especially with luggage.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
United arrival into Narita, but then a Thai flt out of Haneda...

I am booking award travel on United.com, and some crazy options that it gives me is; arriving into Narita with an 8 hour layover and then departing out on Thai from Haneda to BKK , then off to PNH.

The getting from Narita to Haneda seems too impractical for me.

Thoughts?

Patrick :-)
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:18 am

I found the transfer very easy indeed... I had no trouble finding the appropriate "desk" at which to pay after arriving at NRT from YVR...

..and the whole thing was beautifully organised... you are lined up based on which bus you are taking... and the baggage is whisked away and loaded... and the "ground crew" then line up and bow as the bus departs... (IME at least!)
Old Jul 21, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
it's very easy to take the bus and quite a comfortable ride.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by pallensf
I am booking award travel on United.com, and some crazy options that it gives me is; arriving into Narita with an 8 hour layover and then departing out on Thai from Haneda to BKK , then off to PNH.
You might be able to find a better route by multi-city segment-by-segment search.
I envy you for your visit to PNH. I liked Foreign Correspondents' Club bar on the riverside there.
http://www.avant-de-partir.com/wp-co...phnom-penh.jpg
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Thanks for the info O Sora...:-)

I will keep the Club in mind...:-)

I just posted a possible itin here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...l#post18979824

let me know your thoughts...:-) I am the last entry in the thread....
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:46 am

I used the Airport Limousine Bus from NRT to my Tokyo hotel and back and found it easy to use and understand.

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/pla...ches/index/3/4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.