NRT to Shibuya

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT to Shibuya

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by lobsterdog
Sorry, but that's not correct. The total time listed on Hyperdia and Jorudan includes waiting time between trains, but it doesn't include waiting time for the first train.

(And also, as I said, if the next train leaving doesn't have any free seats, Hyperdia certainly isn't going to tell you that.)
It does tell you the actual departure time and the actual arrival time though so you can easily which option is fastest (in travel time) and which option gets you there earliest
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I prefer Google Maps over Hyperdia etc. because you can input your starting and ending locations (not just stations) and it will give you a list of options taking walking time into account. This is especially useful when going somewhere like Shinjuku where you have multiple lines and stations within walking distance. Google also shows how the limousine bus stacks up against rail options.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
Limousine Bus...

Have you considered the Limousine Bus? I used to think catching the bus was lame. My folks always used the bus but I thought it was faster to catch the train (NEX). I started using the Limousine buses a few back, found them to be very comfortable, economical and not that much different time wise. They even have a toilet albeit, very small.

Here's a link for bus services to Shibuya:

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus...a/shibuya.html
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
Catch the Limousine bus, it's a lot more convenient, comfortable, ecomonical and get you right into Shibuya.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soarer
Catch the Limousine bus, it's a lot more convenient, comfortable, ecomonical and get you right into Shibuya.
i didnt at HND but from NRT it may be worth investigating. thx!
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by soarer
If you have a lot of luggage, and are staying at a hotel where the bus stops, then its generally a good idea to take the bus. However, in my book, express train >>>>> bus in terms of comfort. The bus might also run into traffic jams during rush hour.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joejones
If you have a lot of luggage, and are staying at a hotel where the bus stops, then its generally a good idea to take the bus. However, in my book, express train >>>>> bus in terms of comfort. The bus might also run into traffic jams during rush hour.
I arrive may 2nd smack dab in golden week so I'll prob be taking the train.. On top of that at 4:20pm
Old Apr 9, 2012, 3:22 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by ksandness
O Sora, what you have there is a picture of the Keisei commuter train (the ¥1000 yen option), not the Keisei Skyliner.

Here is a picture of the interior of the Keisei Skyliner.

http://www.blue-works.com/jprail/wp-...eries_seat.jpg
Thanks, ksandness. It looks simpler than that of Nex.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by lobsterdog
Sorry, but that's not correct. The total time listed on Hyperdia and Jorudan includes waiting time between trains, but it doesn't include waiting time for the first train.
Switch to Yahoo Transit then, which ranks by 到着時刻順 by default. For this example query, note how the Skyliner leaving at 10:39 beats the N'EX leaving at 10:15:

http://transit.loco.yahoo.co.jp/sear...B1%A0%E8%A2%8B

(And also, as I said, if the next train leaving doesn't have any free seats, Hyperdia certainly isn't going to tell you that.)
Which is why there are big electronic billboards at NRT that show seat availability.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Switch to Yahoo Transit then, which ranks by 到着時刻順 by default.
AFAIK, that's the default setting for Hyperdia too. The list of routes prioritizes the route with the earliest arrival time. Yahoo Transit allows searches from addresses that aren't stations, which is a big advantage.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by joejones
Not to mention more limited schedules from NRT to the hotel, at least as is shown on the provided link. I'm holding reservations at one of the hotels the service stops at, Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku, but the benefit of being driven right to the door is somewhat negated because of this hotel's proximity to Shinjuku Station. I'm also plan on travelling fairly light so can easily manage the few blocks walk.

Also if I read it right it's 6,000 yen RT on the Airport Limousine whereas Suica + N'EX has an offer of a 2,000 yen Suica card and regular RT seat for 5,500 total which to me seems the better value. The time difference of approx. 10 minutes is not really a factor to me as I'm in no real rush so the Suica + N'EX seems the better choice.

My NH arrival into NRT is at 15:30 and so will likely put me into the city center at rush hour but for first time visitor to Tokyo with a hotel close to Shinjuku the Narita Express seems the safest bet, though if I've missed anything would appreciate the input.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I live near Shibuya station. From my experience, if you are arriving in late afternoon the train is marginally better into town because the bus will hit some traffic on the Rainbow bridge. The Suica-NEX deal reduces the real NEX fare to only 1500 yen. The last time I took the bus the driver exited the expressway and took the non-toll crossing (didn't know there was one!). And then drove surface roads and got back on at Shibakoen. It didn't take much longer. Another time the bus avoided the Rainbow bridge completely and went via C1 (past/ under Imperial Palace). This route was pretty slow.

However, to the airport, the bus is better. There is also an annoying gap in the schedule for NEX (trains only go from Shinagawa) if you are going for one of the late morning Euro departures.

If you are going or coming from the north side of Shibuya station then the trek through the station is a pain. The NEX stops on the south side near the New South Exit. You have to factor in 5 extra minutes to get to the platform from the Hachiko exit and that assumes an aggressive pace, knocking over a few people on the way. And this involves carrying bags up stairs.

A better option is to exit at New South and grab a cab. Sometimes there are a few waiting. Otherwise you can catch one on Meiji dori. Getting to New South from the north side by cab is a pain because you can't make a right turn onto Meiji dori, so you have to make a U-turn onto 246.

For the bus the final stop on the way to NRT is at the Excel which is easily accessed from Mark City via elevator from the ground floor. And the trip is about 70 minutes (ignore the timetable) door to door. And then you don't have a long walk from the platform up to check-in. That's another 5-10 minutes depending on pace. The bus leaves you right by check-in.

So in summary, take the NEX from NRT and take the bus back.

p.s. The Skyliner is another option. I just haven't done it because I don't want to spend 30 min on the Yamanote line in rush hour. It might be OK for a late afternoon departure to the US.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by gnaget
p.s. The Skyliner is another option. I just haven't done it because I don't want to spend 30 min on the Yamanote line in rush hour. It might be OK for a late afternoon departure to the US.
How about taking Ginza line from Shibuya?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by gnaget
So in summary, take the NEX from NRT and take the bus back.
Thanks for the thoughts I know I posted in the NRT to Shibuya thread but am staying near Shinjuku so would pretty much the same rules apply?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:40 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Thanks for the thoughts I know I posted in the NRT to Shibuya thread but am staying near Shinjuku so would pretty much the same rules apply?
I always take the train in both directions on that route, although the N'Ex platform at Shinjuku is now also about as inconvenient as the one at Shibuya. It's just a way more comfortable ride, and the N'Ex/Suica deal can't be beat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.