Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First trip to Toyko

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by cmtobin
Not quite as easy as jumping into a cab at JFK..
No, not with NRT being 60km (about 40 miles) outside Tokyo.

Travelers who haven't done their homework and have thoughtlessly jumped into a cab at NRT and asked to be taken to central Tokyo are one of the sources of the myths about Japan being impossibly expensive.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:30 pm
In memoriam

After much research, we are going with the Peninsula. The rates for top hotels in Tokyo are much less than the rates in New York and even Hong Kong. Do you have advise for the best way to get to the hotel from NRT? The hotel car service is MUCH more expensive than in HKG. Thinking either limo bus or train, how difficult are these options and are there any other options I don't know about?
We have and will be staying at FSM. Best option to there is the limo bus with the FSM meet and greet service at NRT (no way we'll be able to handle trains after our trip). Why don't you ask the hotel concierge what it recommends? Robyn
Old May 23, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by robyng
We have and will be staying at FSM. Best option to there is the limo bus with the FSM meet and greet service at NRT (no way we'll be able to handle trains after our trip). Why don't you ask the hotel concierge what it recommends? Robyn
No offense to the fine concierges at the Peninsula, but the information he'll get here in FT will be far more complete than what the concierge will come back with, which will be (a) take the hotel car, (b) take the limobus, here's the schedule, or (c) take the train and then a taxi, here's the schedule. With a cautionary note that you should consider them in that order, since Tokyo is sooo difficult to get around.
Old May 23, 2013, 5:06 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Pickles
No offense to the fine concierges at the Peninsula, but the information he'll get here in FT will be far more complete than what the concierge will come back with, which will be (a) take the hotel car, (b) take the limobus, here's the schedule, or (c) take the train and then a taxi, here's the schedule. With a cautionary note that you should consider them in that order, since Tokyo is sooo difficult to get around.
IMO - that was one ^ in terms of FSM. The meet and greet service. Didn't cost much. And someone met you at arrival at NRT post immigration/customs - and got you heading to the hotel when you were dead on your feet after a super long journey. In our case - the limo bus - which had a stop about 2 blocks away from FSM - was the best option. A bellman met us at the bus stop and took us and our luggage to the hotel.

Of course - if our flight had been 2 hours instead of 2 days - the train might have been the best option.

Perhaps the person who posted the original question can post another question in the luxury hotel forum - and see what the best options are when it comes to the PEN in Tokyo (lots written about luxury hotels in Tokyo there). Robyn
Old May 23, 2013, 5:10 pm
In memoriam

After much research, we are going with the Peninsula. The rates for top hotels in Tokyo are much less than the rates in New York and even Hong Kong. Do you have advise for the best way to get to the hotel from NRT? The hotel car service is MUCH more expensive than in HKG. Thinking either limo bus or train, how difficult are these options and are there any other options I don't know about?
Will you be alert and awake or among the walking dead upon arrival? Train is ok if awake. I recommend the limo bus if you've just passed through 12+ time zones on a 12+ hour flight. Robyn
Old May 24, 2013, 2:48 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I usually travel be car to/from NRT, but another good and much less expensive option if you have a manageable amount of luggage (i.e. a hand-carry and one rolling suitcase) is to take NEX to Tokyo Station transfer to Yamanote line one stop to Yurakucho and then walk (about 150 yards) from the Yurakucho Station from the Pen.

If you do your research you can get maps of the station which will show you which exits, how to transfer at Tokyo, etc.

Alternatively you can take a taxi from Tokyo station to the Pen.
Old May 26, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by 5khours
Alternatively you can take a taxi from Tokyo station to the Pen.
That's what I would do. The taxi would be ~$7, money well spent. Don't be the lost water buffalo struggling to get through the rush hour crowds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.