Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Can you help me find yakitori near Saitama University ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Grounded ex-Flyer

Hi all,

My brother is visiting Japan soon for the first time and staying at Saitama University. I'd like to introduce him to Yakitori, which I throughly enjoyed recently during my own honeymoon in Japan.

We had an amazing dinner at a tiny little place in Ginza, near the Ginza Capital Hotel; I picked up a flyer, but I don't read Japanese - can only figure out their website, www.hoso-foods.co.jp Google translation isn't of much help, can somebody help me figure out how these restaurants are called and if they have a location near Saitama, or conveniently situated by public transport ?

Any other recommendation for some nice yakitori near the University ?

Arigato gozaimasu,

J-
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Saitama University is located in Saitama-shi, which is essentially a bedroom community for Tokyo. The 'burbs, in other words, only a lot more crowded than any suburbs you are likely to have seen.

The Ginza place you ate it is hardly the only place to find great yakitori. Your brother should ask whoever is hosting him or some students at the university where the best local yakitori is. Sometimes it's at a little hole-in-the-wall beer bar. Sometimes it's more upscale. The locals will know.

No need to go all the way to central Tokyo. (I checked the website, and all this chain's locations are in central Tokyo.)
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA MP Club (no status)
I agree with ksandness. The local senpai (more senior students) will be all too eager to show your brother the best yakitori, and students on a budget generally know where the best value for money can be had, too.

ETA: Also, the site you linked to is a chain. There will be MANY of these (and stuff very like this) at every station. Saitama isn't Aomori (and even in Aomori they have fantastic food near stations).
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:56 am

According to their site, the nearest place is in Ohmiya, close to the Ohmiya station. From Saitama University, your brother goes to Minami-Yono station on the JR Saikyo line to Ohmiya (4th stop). Then exit to the east side. It is on the 1st floor of the Ohmiya Maruzen building.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA, NW
But I bet the locals know nearby restaurants that are just as good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.