Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo ... or leave it ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Beef exceeding those limits has been sold throughout much of Japan, partly because Fukushima cows have been shipped to other prefectures, and partly because radioactive feed from Fukushima has been shipped throughout the country and eaten by cows in other prefectures.
I think you're overstating the issue. Some beef did slip into commerce in excess of the limits, was detected, was pulled from the market, and wasn't all that radioactive to begin with. See, for instance, this FT article, particularly the following factoid:

The effect of eating a kilogramme of beef with the maximum limit allowed for caesium in Japan is the equivalent to one-50th of an annual dosage from naturally occurring radioactive materials, and one-13th of levels received on a one-way flight between Tokyo and New York.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joejones
I think you're overstating the issue. Some beef did slip into commerce in excess of the limits, was detected, was pulled from the market, and wasn't all that radioactive to begin with.
I reiterate:
  • They are not testing all agriculture, only a small sample
  • They are not testing seafood in any significant quantities
  • They are only testing for cesium and iodine, not other radioactive matierals
  • Ingesting radioactive materials is quite different from merely being exposed to radioactivity

I don't have enough information to say that the food is unsafe, and it's probably nothing to worry about for a tourist. But I don't think you have enough information to say that perpetually eating such food is safe either.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
I reiterate:
  • They are not testing all agriculture, only a small sample
  • They are not testing seafood in any significant quantities
  • They are only testing for cesium and iodine, not other radioactive matierals
  • Ingesting radioactive materials is quite different from merely being exposed to radioactivity

I don't have enough information to say that the food is unsafe, and it's probably nothing to worry about for a tourist. But I don't think you have enough information to say that perpetually eating such food is safe either.
I read that after the incident at 3 Mile Island, children were fed milk from cows that had eaten grass contaminated with radioactive material. And ingesting that milk had significant long term health consequences for those children. As much as I want to visit Tokyo and other parts of Japan, I don't feel comfortable with the information that the Japanese government has put out so far.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerred
I read that after the incident at 3 Mile Island, children were fed milk from cows that had eaten grass contaminated with radioactive material. And ingesting that milk had significant long term health consequences for those children. As much as I want to visit Tokyo and other parts of Japan, I don't feel comfortable with the information that the Japanese government has put out so far.
By the time all of the long term health affects would be known, the people responsible for making these decisions will be off in a cushy retirement with no culpability for them, though they'll probably get a bonus for getting things "back to normal" so quickly.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by flyerred
I read that after the incident at 3 Mile Island, children were fed milk from cows that had eaten grass contaminated with radioactive material. And ingesting that milk had significant long term health consequences for those children.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyyZqCl8kXQ
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:33 am

Programs: UA
OP- what's the final decision? Tokyo or pass? Sorry for hijacking your thread.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I have also visited a lot of Asian cities in the recent years (Hong Kong, Bejing, KL, Singapore, Bangkok) to name a few. I just came back from a week of Japan and we did Tokyo, Nikko and Kyoto.

I was not impressed by Tokyo and we felt after 2 days we had seen it.. we only did one day in Kyoto and where sad we did not spend more time there.

Japan is quite different then the rest of Asia and worth a visit. But I think you can actually go to Japan but just skip Tokyo and spend some time in other cities and the country side.

I was not really impressed with Bangkok but liked it far more then Tokyo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.