Wiki Posts
Search

Japanese driver's license

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Japanese driver's license

I understand there is a reciprocal agreement between Canadian and Japanese driver's license. I can give them my Canadian BC driver's license and they will issue me a Japanese driver's license.

What I am not sure about is the written test. Can I take it in English? How hard is it? Is it mandatory for people who already have a driver's license from another country?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
What I am not sure about is the written test. Can I take it in English? How hard is it? Is it mandatory for people who already have a driver's license from another country?
No written test for Canadians, it seems:
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:59 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I understand there is a reciprocal agreement between Canadian and Japanese driver's license. I can give them my Canadian BC driver's license and they will issue me a Japanese driver's license.

It's called gaimen kirikae (許からの切り替え), and it's not too difficult to do -- and it's a lot cheaper than going to Japanese driving school. Here's a pamphlet from the Tokyo Metropolitan Police concerning the procedure, which doesn't vary much from prefecture to prefecture.

As jib71 mentioned, Canadians are exempt from the written *and* driving tests, which makes your life a *lot* easier -- Americans, for example, have to take abbreviated written and driving exams, and multiple failures on the driving portion are common.

The only tricky part is getting a translation from JAF, but they usually take care of it on the spot within 30 minutes.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses.

Will report back in October after I try this.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
The other potentially tricky part is that you will need some evidence that you lived in Canada for 3 months after getting the license.

When I converted my American license at Samezu, there was a very irate Briton who was getting the run-around at the counter. He had been living in Hong Kong since he had gotten his current passport, so there were no stamps showing that he had been in the UK for three months, and he supposedly couldn't even get that evidence from the UK government if he asked.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joejones
The other potentially tricky part is that you will need some evidence that you lived in Canada for 3 months after getting the license.
That will be no problem, since I got my license when I was 16 years old. My Canadian drivers license is already 2 years old.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:37 am

he supposedly couldn't even get that evidence from the UK government if he asked.
Hmm ... Smells fishy. I'm awash with evidence of my residence...

- I don't see how you can avoid having a ton of evidence unless you lived at your parents' home and avoided earning any money, claiming any benefits, or using any services.

- Even if you didn't keep the paperwork, the authorities keep records. For example, Ealing council has evidence that I was living in the borough, using library services, paying my council tax and on the electoral register 11 years ago. The council was able to confirm this when I returned to London a couple of years ago. And then there's income tax records, national insurance, TV license, bank statements, car insurance policies, parking fines (try avoiding those!) ...

- The passport story sounds like a red herring. A UK passport would not have any UK stamps in it (regardless of how long the owner lived in the UK or how often he crossed UK borders). An old passport, issued in the UK would not serve as evidence of a period of residence in the UK.

Last edited by jib71; Aug 29, 2011 at 4:03 am
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
The passport story sounds like a red herring. A UK passport would not have any UK stamps in it (regardless of how long the owner lived in the UK or how often he crossed UK borders). An old passport, issued in the UK would not serve as evidence of a period of residence in the UK.
You are using logic. You have obviously been outside Japan for a while.

The way they interpret the passport is that if it was issued in, say, 2003, and doesn't have any stamps prior to 2004, they will assume that the holder spent the first year of the passport in that country. This is how I proved that I had been in the US for the requisite period. I think this guy's problem was that he had a HK residence stamp of some kind which dated back to (or immediately followed) the day he got the passport.

I think they are mainly looking out for the possibility of Japanese people skirting the expensive and time-consuming domestic licensing process by traveling to somewhere else, getting a license there and immediately bringing it back for conversion in Japan. US licenses in particular are really easy to get, which is probably why we have to take a driving exam in order to convert ours....
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:26 pm

The way they interpret the passport is that if it was issued in, say, 2003, and doesn't have any stamps prior to 2004, they will assume that the holder spent the first year of the passport in that country.
That's not a good assumption with a European passport.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
That's not a good assumption with a European passport.
It's not a good assumption with any passport...
Old Aug 30, 2011, 2:11 am

It's not a good assumption with any passport...
You are probably right. However, it's harder for, say, Chinese citizens to leave their home country without getting some ink on the passport.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA, Delta, Starwood
As long you're visiting, or only a short-term resident ("short-term" meaning less than one year), you should be able to use an International Drivers License while in Japan. And getting an Intl Drivers License in Canada (or elsewhere) is going to be alot easier than trying to get any kind of license in Japan.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
US licenses in particular are really easy to get, which is probably why we have to take a driving exam in order to convert ours....
My understanding is that the actual reason is that the US doesn't recognize Japanese licenses for conversion, so Japan does the same in the spirit of reciprocity. It didn't used to be this way until a few years ago.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PomPalm
As long you're visiting, or only a short-term resident ("short-term" meaning less than one year), you should be able to use an International Drivers License while in Japan. And getting an Intl Drivers License in Canada (or elsewhere) is going to be alot easier than trying to get any kind of license in Japan.
Yeah I know this however the principle reason why I want a Japanese Driver's license is not so I can drive.

I want ID that doesn't ID me immediately as an Alien Resident and is readily accepted.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:23 pm

Yeah I know this however the principle reason why I want a Japanese Driver's license is not so I can drive.

I want ID that doesn't ID me immediately as an Alien Resident and is readily accepted.
A health insurance card would also work for this purpose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.