Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan to US in August

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Japan to US in August

I'm a regular around the Hhonors thread, and found Flyertalk an amazing resource in planning my honeymoon to HI and follow up trip to Vietnam. I'm new to the Japan subforum, but I've done a bit of reading to think that my question merits a new thread. A thread was posted about flying from Japan to UK in June and noted that the prices were outrageous. My post is similar but different and I thought it might be best to ask this in a separate place.

Basically my friend is in Sendai, Japan and is looking to come home (PA, USA) with her husband for our fellow friend's wedding. She had prices previously (a month ago?) that were more reasonable, but now, most of the flights are ~2000.

To make things oddly more complicated, she was hoping to "double dip" across the US to visit with his family in Phoenix on the trip, too. What I know about what they are looking to do is this:
Leave Tokyo on aug 7, 8, 9, or 10 to phoenix (Via LAX?)
Leave pheonix on aug 14, 15, or 16 to Pittsburgh.
Leave USA for Tokyo on aug 22.

I think part of their problem might be with coming into a west coast city and out of an east cost city. They might be best off flying into and out of LAX and then getting a domestic flight independent of the international flight.

Any possible thoughts for ways to search or places to look would be incredibly much appreciated. Thanks again in advance!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:09 am
mjm
Original Member

Fair question.

The trip as described is a R/T to PIT breaking there with a stopover in one direction in PHX. Nothing wrong or even more cost;y in this than a simple R/T. The zone to which your friend is flying, i.e. the east coast is pricier by about 30-40K in yen than the west coast but that is about it

Try looking at prices a month and then two months after the proposed dates. You will find huge drops because the 2nd week out of Japan is about as peak as it gets here for travel outbound. (prices climb from mid July and do not drop until early Sept.) It s called Obon which is akin to All Soul's Day in the Christian faith. The upshot is you are seeking a ticket at the single highest part of the year save possibly New Years.

If at all possible I advise your friend to enjoy the lack of crowds in Japan caused by the exodus of so many people at that time and then travel in Oct or Nov for fun.

Best,

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.