Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT-Tokyo-Osaka-Hakone-Tokyo-NRT

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:18 am
Original Poster

NRT-Tokyo-Osaka-Hakone-Tokyo-NRT

For the above routing, here's what I have planned. It doesn't seem that buying the rail pass would save us any money, so here we go:

NRT to Tokyo (Park Hyatt): Airport Limo Bus to Park Hyatt (or Washington Hotel or Shinjuku Station, whichever comes earlier) - 3,000YEN per person (plus cab if we go to Shinjuku Station)

Tokyo to Osaka: take NOZOMI Shinkansen from SHINJUKU to SHINOSAKA 14,050YEN per person

Osaka to Hakone: take HIKARI Shinkansen from SHINOSAKA to ODAWARA (non-stop) Y12,070 per person.
We'll be staying at Hyatt Regency and will take advantage of their free shuttle to the hotel. There is a 12:34PM arrival into ODAWARA, so we can take the 1:15PM shuttle.

Hakone to Tokyo: take ODAKYU Romance Car from HAKONE YUMOTO to SHINJUKU (direct) - 2,020YEN
Now, here's the dilemma. It's not that easy to get to HAKONE YUMOTO from Hyatt. Should we skip the romance car (which is not supposed to be that special anyway) and take train from ODAWARA to TOKYO STATION, then transfer to SHINJUKU -- 3,440YEN?

Tokyo (Park Hyatt) to NRT: Limo bus again -- Y3,000

Last edited by broadwayboy; Nov 7, 2010 at 5:32 am
Old Nov 7, 2010, 6:01 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
A JR pass should save you money - provided you fit it all into the 7 days. You will need to go to Shinagawa or Tokyo station to get the train to Osaka. Shouldn't be too hard to get to Hakone from the Hyatt Regency.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by jib71
A JR pass should save you money - provided you fit it all into the 7 days. You will need to go to Shinagawa or Tokyo station to get the train to Osaka. Shouldn't be too hard to get to Hakone from the Hyatt Regency.
Please note that if you use JR Pass you cannot use Nozomi train.

If you can make the TYO-OSA-Hakone-TYO within 7 days you should save "some" money by going JR Pass, and instead of romance car, use JR Hikari to go back to Tokyo
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:25 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's rather fun to get to Hakyone Yumoto from the Hyatt. If you have significant baggage, take a taxi from the hotel to Gora. Otherwise, the cog railway is about a 5 minute walk and it will take you down to Gora (although it's not that frequent, check the schedule).

From Gora, the quaint Hakone Tozan railway takes you to Hakone Yumoto, running every 15 - 20 minutes, although it takes longer than a bus or shuttle. I particularly liked the three reversals (where the engineer has to switch ends and the train switches direction) to get around steep curves.

From Hakone Yumoto to Odawara, there are regular trains that connect to the Hakone Tozan line, not just Romance Cars. And no, the Romance Car is not very romantic, but it is quite comfortable. Note that although the Romance Car originates in Hakone Yumoto, it also stops in Odawara.

Odakyu runs a number of limited express trains on the Odawara - Shinjuku route, not just Romance Cars. They are all comfortable.

There are also plenty of regular rapid trains on the Odakyu line which connect from Odawara to Shinjuku, if you want to save money. Odakyu is less hassle than taking JR to Tokyo and transfering to Shinjuku. Also cheaper.

I suppose you know this already, but the JR pass is not valid on Odakyu line trains. So if you have a valid JR pass, take the JR route from Odawara. However, if you have a JR pass, go ahead and do silly things. For example, on my last trip using my JR East Pass on a valid day, I took the shinkansen from Ueno to Tokyo just because I could.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys for all the comments.

Since on day 2 in Hakone we will be taking the Hakone Round Pass (Gora-Sounzan-Togendai-Hakone-machi-Moto-hakone-Hakone-Yumoto-Gora), we will skip the Romance Car to go back to Shinjuku.

We will take the Odakyu Odawara Rapid Line line to Shinjuku (looks like a local train, taking many stops -- Y800, 83 minutes), the frequency is pretty good.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:25 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Thank you guys for all the comments.

Since on day 2 in Hakone we will be taking the Hakone Round Pass (Gora-Sounzan-Togendai-Hakone-machi-Moto-hakone-Hakone-Yumoto-Gora), we will skip the Romance Car to go back to Shinjuku.

We will take the Odakyu Odawara Rapid Line line to Shinjuku (looks like a local train, taking many stops -- Y800, 83 minutes), the frequency is pretty good.
I've taken the regular express, it's fine. If you happen to time it so you get a rapid express (seems to only be one an hour), even better. Getting on in Odawara, you'll have a seat the whole way.

Note that the Hakone free pass is valid at a minimum for 2 calendar days, so you can use it from Gora on the second day if you want. Plus I just noticed it gives you a discount on the Little Prince museum!

Last edited by RichardInSF; Nov 7, 2010 at 9:32 pm
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Can I buy Hakone Free Pass in Osaka Station?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Can I buy Hakone Free Pass in Osaka Station?
No, you can only buy that at Odakyu Stations

http://www.odakyu.jp/english/freepass/hakone_01.html

For you, traveling from Osaka / Kyoto, you should get it at Odawara

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.