Wiki Posts
Search

2 Week trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

2 Week trip

Hi
I have been to japan a couple of times now and am planning another trip for middle of next yr.
I have never used a JR rail pass though, last time we used Pasmo.
We will be based in Tokyo for the most part, travelling around the city, then traelling to Kyoto for 5 days or so and a 2 night stay in Osaka.

Will the JR rail pass be worthwhile for this type of trip? I am unsure of what lines are what in Tokyo and Kyoto so I don't know what sort of pass I should b buying to be the most cost effective.

Thanks for any help
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA, NW
The general rule is that the JR Pass is worth it if you're making at at least a roundtrip between Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka.

If you have an open jaw ticket (into NRT, out of KIX), you may save money by using Pasmo in Tokyo, its Kansai counterpart Surutto Kansai in Kyoto/Osaka. Private rail options exist throughout Kansai (in greater variety than in the Tokyo area, I think), including routes between Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara,and the Surutto Kansai card is usable on both the Osaka and Kyoto subways)

By the way, you really don't need to change hotels to visit Kyoto, Osaka, and Nara. Kyoto and Osaka are an hour apart via commuter train and only about 20 minutes if you have a JR Pass and can hop onto the Shinkansen at Shin-Osaka. (The JR Pass is also good on Osaka's Kanjo Line, which is a lopsided circle, like the Yamanote Line in Tokyo, but it is of limited use within Kyoto.)

In other words, it all depends on your plans, preferences, pocketbook, etc.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
Short answer is yes, assuming you are flying in and out of Tokyo.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Just be sure that you return to Tokyo falls within the 7 day period covered by the Pass. It is only good for 7 consecutive day.

If you will be in Kansai (Kyoto-Osaka region) for 6 days or so, you could certainly use the Rail Pass for day trips to other nearby sites. Since the castle at Himeji is under construction scaffolding, a good alternative castle visit is Hikone, on the shores of Lake Biwa. The local train from Kyoto to Hikone is around an hour. The Pass would also be good for the daytrip to Nara. May as well good full value out of the Rail Pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.