Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by ainternational
I especially want a REAL dill pickle.
https://www.culturesforhealth.com/le...-dill-pickles/
Old May 20, 2018, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by mjm
In a word, No. In fact Deli here is getting worse, not better. It is now the case that a counter selling various options to be combined at the customer's request in a bento box is called a deli. A good sandwich here is not nearly as easy as a world class hamburger. The good news is that Pizza Slice (couple locations) offers a very very good representation of a NY slice. Best bet for a reuben is buy the ingredients at National and make it at home. For a country so amazingly adept with baked goods it is freaking impossible to easily lay your hands on dark rye or pumpernickel of any quality though.
Thanks, mjm, appreciate the candid update. I make a pretty decent reuben, so perhaps I'll follow exactly that advice. On a related note, the "house made" pastrami from Wise Sons had way more flavor than I expected. Definitely too dry, but with some modification, it wouldn't make a bad base for a home made sammy.

I may have a house party here when I move in mid June. I think reubens will be on the menu. If anyone would like an invite, PM me!

Thanks. I'll get the lady on that ASAP.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by ainternational
Thanks. I'll get the lady on that ASAP.
If you or the lady are interested in making pickles and fermented foods (it's quite the thang these days), then Tokyo is a great place to learn. There is a huge history of fermenting and pickling, and you can find courses on making all sorts of things - miso, hishio (a less well known precursor to soy sauce), cured meats, vegetable pickles etc. As mjm pointed out with baked goods, there's lots of know-how, but nobody (commercially) is making exactly what you want.
LapLap likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:26 am

The good news is that Pizza Slice (couple locations) offers a very very good representation of a NY slice.
IMO B612 Nishi-Azabu and Rocco's (Oji) both have good New York-style pizza by the slice. But I don't think that Pizza Slice makes the cut - they may look like NY pizza, but there's something about the flavor that's not quite there.

BTW for home Reuben-assemblers, I've found that Kuhne Fasskraut in jars is the best locally available sauerkraut that I've run across.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:15 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by lobsterdog
IMO B612 Nishi-Azabu and Rocco's (Oji) both have good New York-style pizza by the slice. But I don't think that Pizza Slice makes the cut - they may look like NY pizza, but there's something about the flavor that's not quite there.

BTW for home Reuben-assemblers, I've found that Kuhne Fasskraut in jars is the best locally available sauerkraut that I've run across.
Nah, Rocco's although good is not right. It is like Japanese pizza made NY style. B612 has waaaay too much cheese to be NY and who does hamburgers at a pizza place. Not NYers for sure The Pizza Slice pizza is as close as you'll get to real Neapolitan in Tokyo full stop. They do add a tinge too much sugar to their sauce but you get the same argument between Joe's fans and Di Fara's fans.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know that the pastrami from National is that great, but then that is a comparison with what I grew up on. I find both the National and Nissin products to be rather dry, and I typically don't eat it with cheese and sauerkraut. Really the only way ai is to make your own brisket from scratch, and invite a few of us over to help you taste test it !

Pizza Slice is good, quite like having a slice or 2 after a few cocktails at Radio nearby.

Is it just me, or are there a great deal more locals sporting tattoos openly , is this just a Shibuya thing or more wide spread ?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Have you tried the pastrami at The Good Vibes in Asakusabashi (near Akihabara)?

THE GOOD VIBES
lobsterdog likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:48 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by groovbusta
Have you tried the pastrami at The Good Vibes in Asakusabashi (near Akihabara)?

THE GOOD VIBES
I'll attempt to get to this place next time I am in Tokyo but just looking at the pictures on the web page, it doesn't look like any pastrami that I've ever had so not expecting too much.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I'll attempt to get to this place next time I am in Tokyo but just looking at the pictures on the web page, it doesn't look like any pastrami that I've ever had so not expecting too much.
Guess you've never been to Harry and Ida's in the East Village?

Home ? Harry & Ida's
lobsterdog likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:01 am
mjm
Original Member

Guess you've never been to Harry and Ida's in the East Village?

Home ? Harry & Ida's
Yeah that thick cut can happen in a variety of places, heck I've even had it at Katz's. Have to give this Good Vibes place a taste test.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:44 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I’m game to give it a try the week of Sept 10.
mjm likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, actually, I never had pastrami cut thick like that, maybe I have a learning experience ahead.

I do know that I've never seen a bagel for sale in Japan that was boiled, however. Maybe someone knows where those are available?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:18 pm
mjm
Original Member

No, actually, I never had pastrami cut thick like that, maybe I have a learning experience ahead.

I do know that I've never seen a bagel for sale in Japan that was boiled, however. Maybe someone knows where those are available?
I assume this is still open although I have not been in a year at least:

Maruichi Bagel, 1-15-22 Shirokane, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:35 pm

I've heard good things about Ozo Bagel but can't confirm if they are boiled.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:37 pm
mjm
Original Member

I've heard good things about Ozo Bagel but can't confirm if they are boiled.
Going to bear that one in mind next time I head to that part of Tokyo. Always need a good bagel. Still the location is a bit like heading to NJ for a NY bagel
RichardInSF likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.