Transport Nara-Kyoto-Osaka

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2010, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE (2008-2013), SPG Platinum (06-NOW)

Hi guys,

My wife and I will be spending our 4 Days and 3 nights in Kansai region before us heading back to Toronto. We are wondering if any member can assist us in regard to the local transportation and directions…...

We are arriving in KIX and will stay at:

1st Night: Nikko Nara
2nd Night: Westin Kyoto
3rd Night: Sheraton Miyako Osaka

I read from the Nikko Hotel website that the easiest way to connect us from KIX to our 1st hotel in Nara is by the Limousine Bus from KIX to Nara JR (will cost approx 2000 yen per pax each way).

My questions:
Is there any easy accessible public transport that can take us:

‘From’ Nikko Nara ‘to’ Westin Kyoto,

And

‘From’ Westin Kyoto ‘to’ Sheraton Miyako Osaka

Or will it be easier for us if we just renting a car with a GPS and drive ourselves during our stay????

Mario
Old May 15, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by mraquinas
My questions:
Is there any easy accessible public transport that can take us:

‘From’ Nikko Nara ‘to’ Westin Kyoto,
Path 1 By Google: JR + Kyoto Subway East-West Line

JR Nara --> JR Rokujizo (JR Nara Line)
Rokujizo --> Keage (Kyoto Subway East-West Line)

Alternatively, travel JR from Nara station to JR Kyoto Station, then cab it, may be 2000 yen for the cab?

‘From’ Westin Kyoto ‘to’ Sheraton Miyako Osaka
Kyoto Subway + JR + Osaka Subway

Keage --> Yamashina (Kyoto Subway East West Line)
Yamashina --> Osaka (JR Line, get the Special Rapid train)
Osaka (Umeda) --> Tanimachi Kyuchome (Osaka Subway Tanimachi Line)

Personally I will recommend cab to JR Kyoto, followed by the JR train and Osaka Subway

BTW will it be better for you to stay 2 nights at Kyoto instead ? Nara can be act as a one day detour for your Kyoto --> Osaka Plan

Day 1: KIX --> Kyoto
Day 2: Kyoto
Day 3: Kyoto --> Nara --> Osaka
Day 4: Osaka --> KIX

Because your Osaka hotel is right on top of terminus of Kintetsu Nara Line

Or will it be easier for us if we just renting a car with a GPS and drive ourselves during our stay????
I recommend against it as parking in Kyoto is quite an headache, especially if you want to explore with car and locating a car park. Nara will be better.

I will only think of driving in Hokkaido / Kyushu
Old May 15, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Best is to just stay all three nights in Umeda and take trains to Kyoto and Nara. There are lot's of hotels there and you won't need to waste time moving.
Old May 15, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I agree with the above. Why in the world are you changing hotels every day of your stay? Osaka and Kyoto are only a few minutes apart by train and Nara is only about 45 minutes from either. I'd recommend just choosing one for your stay and leave your luggage - and hassles - there while you explore the area.

Get a 4-day Kansai area rail pass and take the JR trains between the 3 cities. Use cabs or local bus/subway to get from the stations to hotel or attractions.

I'd avoid renting a car in this area. Parking is horrendous and tolls are high.

IMHO, the best 'central' place to stay for your 4/3 would be Kyoto. You can get direct, fast trains to either Osaka or Nara from Kyoto Station and there is a fast, comfortable airport train (the 'Haruka') between KIX and Kyoto Station. Kyoto buses are convenient and tourist-friendly and cabs are abundant.
Old May 15, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
I echo the sentiments that you should A) stay in one place and visit each city via a short train ride and B) absolutely do not rent a car.

Kyoto is great. Another great side trip is Himeji to see the castle.
Old May 15, 2010, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta
I live in Kansai. Yes, I agree one hotel, probably Osaka Umeda, and just take the train wherever you want to go each day. Far more convenient and less hassle. Don't even think about driving.

By the way, Himeji Castle is undergoing restoration work and I'm not sure that tourists can get inside right now, though I know that you can still tour the outside grounds.
Old May 15, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by nishimark
... Himeji Castle is undergoing restoration work and I'm not sure that tourists can get inside right now, though I know that you can still tour the outside grounds.
A good alternative for visitors to Kansai who wish to see a real feudal castle (as opposed to reconstructed, like Osaka-jo) is Hikone castle. Hikone is about an hour from Kyoto on a local train line, on the shore of Lake Biwa. Hikone is a small town compared to Osaka, Kyoto or even Nara and makes for a nice visit. On the other hand, with only 4 days for Kyoto, Osaka and Nara, I wouldn't recommend using one of them for Hikone. You don't really have time to see Kyoto and Nara. Add Osaka and there is no time for day trips.
Old May 16, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: UA, NW
Hikone is more like a half-day trip, but yes, there's plenty to see in Kyoto and Nara alone. I wouldn't even bother with Osaka on a short trip but stay in a hotel near Kyoto Station (take the Haruka Express from KIX) and use it as a base for bus and subway trips around Kyoto and a day-trip to Nara.

Be sure to get a transit pass for Kyoto. They're sold in 24-hour increments, and with a well-planned sightseeing itinerary, they can save you a fair amount of money and hassle.

Nara is walkable, with all the major attractions close together in a park-like setting, and an easy walk from either the JR or Kintetsu stations. If you like museums, the one in Nara is an attractive one.
Old May 16, 2010, 8:50 am
Yub

The Westin Kyoto Miyako has shuttle service to and from the JR Kyoto Station. They had a check-in counter at the JR Kyoto Station when we stayed there in 2006, though I don't see mention of it on their website.
Old May 16, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Yub
They had a check-in counter at the JR Kyoto Station when we stayed there in 2006
The hotel no longer has a counter at the station. More's the pity.
Old May 17, 2010, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would suggest staying at the Westin Osaka (taking a guess with your SPG Plat status).

If you need that extra stay. You can move to Sheraton Miyako Osaka on the day you go to Nara. Take your bags on the underground or take a taxi (might cost 2000-3000yen from Westin Hotel) and leave your bags at the hotel before you head out to Nara.

Go explore Kyoto on the first day. Second day around Osaka. Third day Nara...
Old May 17, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: UA, NW
I think that people who have not been to Japan before cannot imagine how wonderful the train system is, especially in the Kansai area.

You have JR and private rail options for just about any destination, and all trains run more than once an hour, sometimes just every few minutes on the most heavily-traveled lines.

Another thing the OP may not be aware of is that even though the itinerary you received probably says something like "ARR KIX KANSAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT OSAKA JAPAN," the airport is not in or near the city of Osaka proper. Rather, it's in "Osaka-fu," which is the equivalent of a state or province.

Due to the train connections, Osaka and Kyoto are equally accessible from KIX. The trip to Kyoto takes a bit longer, but you're in a comfortable train, so it's not so bad.

By the way, to make the most of your time in the area, I suggest buying a Kyoto city guidebook, which will also have chapters on Osaka and Nara.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SJUAMMF
Best is to just stay all three nights in Umeda and take trains to Kyoto and Nara. There are lot's of hotels there and you won't need to waste time moving.
+1. Save lots of time transiting, not to mention logistics.
Unless, the OP is on a *wood mattress run.
Old May 20, 2010, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE (2008-2013), SPG Platinum (06-NOW)
Thanks guys for all the insight. We have decided to skip Nara and just stay in Kyoto for the first night, and 2nd and 3rd night at the Sheraton Miyako Osaka. We are not too much of a 'temple' and nature kind of visitor, we want food, food and food ^ all about the great culinary of osaka
Old May 21, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta
Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but why not spend all 3 nights at the same hotel in Osaka? Kyoto is only 30-40 minutes away by train. You're going to lose time checking out and checking in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.