Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Waitlist

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
Upgrade Waitlist

I am an AA Executive Platinum who is traveling ORD-BKK on a One World first award. I am in J on JL 9 on 11 August, as there is no F award availability. Still, I have redeemed F miles, and one would think that I could waitlist for F. However, AA tells me that they cannot wait list on JL metal, which I suppose is correct.

Is there a way to wiat list through JL, where I have no status beyond my OW EXP? I do not imagine that joining the JL program at the no status level will help. Any advice?
Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
It's possible JAL can put you on a waitlist, so I'd call JAL and explain the situation.

As an alternative (or in addition), why don't you waitlist F on AA153? Both flights will give you ample time to connect to JL707 to BKK. The waitlist will have to clear on one or the other no later than 11 a.m. that morning since JAL and AA depart from different terminals at O'Hare, and you have to go outside security to switch between those terminals.

Also, you could try asking AA to waitlist you on AA5821. That's the codeshare flight number for JL9. I doubt it would work, but it can't hurt to ask. It's remotely possible AA5821 has different inventory than JL9.

On edit: I just checked F availability to JMB members on JL9 on August 11th. JMB members would also have to waitlist that flight for an award right now. I checked a few days on either side of the 11th, and there are no open seats right now. It's all waitlist.

Last edited by sipples; Jul 7, 2007 at 12:15 am Reason: Availability.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
Thanks. Both AA and JL confirm that they cannot wait list on each others flights. The only way to get F is to call back every day to see if it hits--which I may do.

I imagine that there is no logic or pattern to when JL releases F seats for upgrades. The flight is showing F4 on EF, more than a month out, which does not look good. Any tips woulld be appreciated.

As to using AA metal, I am trying to avoid this--I fly enough on AA and have done NRT-ORD in J on AA before--no big deal and we are very much looking forward to the JL experience. We are even watching the red-eye BKK-NRT, which would allow the NRT-ORD on JL, as the AA flight that we do have, even in F, will be sub-par.

This is our 25th anniversary trip. I will be sure to mention this at check in--just in case it might sway a GA or two. Other than that, the worst I can do is J, which is not bad--I just hate to burn 135K and not get F on the outbound.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: JAL JGC/Diamond, IC RA
Hi

I have both good news and bad news. As of today JL009 still has four vacant F seats (out of 11) for paying passengers on Aug 11. (You can also check this yourself by making a fake booking on their web site.) So there still is chance.

Bad news is that the date is among the busiest travel time in Japan, just preceding the Obon holidays (observed widely in Japan on August 13-15). So I am afraid the chances of award F seats released in advance is not good.

But as long as there are seats available, keep hoping. I think there is some chance that they will make a few more seats available for reward travel as it gets closer to to the travel date.

Wishing you a happy anniversary trip,

kojiro

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.