Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HNL lounge situation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

HNL lounge situation

My MIL will be flying JL from HNL to HND in J on 28 Jan. The Sakura Lounge Hale (opened in 2018, apparently closed in 2020 due to the [mod edit] Coronavirus restrictions) still shows "now temporarily closed" on the website:

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/se...ge/hnl/sakura/

Are premium JAL pax at HNL really still stuck with the AA Admiral's Club joint lounge?

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 19, 2024 at 1:46 pm Reason: Edited unnecessary term
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GaryD
My MIL will be flying JL from HNL to HND in J on 28 Jan. The Sakura Lounge Hale (opened in 2018, apparently closed in 2020 due to the Coronavirus restrictions) still shows "now temporarily closed" on the website:

Are premium JAL pax at HNL really still stuck with the AA Admiral's Club joint lounge?
I am not sure I would say "stuck with" it is more a JAL Sakura Lounge than an Admirals Club. Most if not all you'd find in an outstation Sakura Lounge usually, you'd also find here. But yes, the second lounge is still closed. Though traffic is getting closer to being back to normal.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 19, 2024 at 1:44 pm Reason: Conform with edited version
Old Jan 19, 2024, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I am not sure I would say "stuck with" it is more a JAL Sakura Lounge than an Admirals Club. Most if not all you'd find in an outstation Sakura Lounge usually, you'd also find here. But yes, the second lounge is still closed. Though traffic is getting closer to being back to normal.
Thanks for the update. Most of the lounge guides including the airport website itself show the JAL Sakura Lounge Hale as existing and not as closed. I haven't seen the joint lounge but Mrs. D (JAL Diamond/OW Emerald) pans it. She is spoiled by the new HND lounges.

The only other remaining "restriction" that comes to mind is the LAX Flagship Dining also still closed, nearly four years later. Quite a virus!
Old Jan 19, 2024, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thanks for the update. Most of the lounge guides including the airport website itself show the JAL Sakura Lounge Hale as existing and not as closed. I haven't seen the joint lounge but Mrs. D (JAL Diamond/OW Emerald) pans it. She is spoiled by the new HND lounges.

The only other remaining "restriction" that comes to mind is the LAX Flagship Dining also still closed, nearly four years later. Quite a virus!
JAL's Hawaii traffic is still quite a bit down, the assessment is probably that they don't need the space yet. Main reason is the weak yen, keeping Japanese travellers away from Hawaii.

Food and drink is the same in the two lounges. The design of the Hale lounge is nicer and newer.
willoL likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That has nothing to do with Covid, it's all about costs. With AA now planning to eliminate Flagship First, it doesn't see much point in supporting that particular expense. There's been a similar change at JFK, where AA eliminated FF dining and instead opened a joint F lounge with BA (Chelsea).
Old Jan 26, 2024, 7:42 am

My MIL will be flying JL from HNL to HND in J on 28 Jan. The Sakura Lounge Hale (opened in 2018, apparently closed in 2020 due to the [mod edit] Coronavirus restrictions) still shows "now temporarily closed" on the website:

You can access the Qantas International Business Lounge at HNL with your J ticket. It opens 8am till 11am.

That's if you're departing on JL73 at 1140.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lowjhg
You can access the Qantas International Business Lounge at HNL with your J ticket. It opens 8am till 11am.

That's if you're departing on JL73 at 1140.
Unless it is a Tuesday or Thursday when it is closed....
Old Jan 30, 2024, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

I had to go up a creepy flight of stairs, but I found it. None of the several people I asked at HNL had heard of this lounge, apparently closed since 2020.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Where is this lounge in relation to the C gates ?
which gate is it nearest/beside ?
Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2024, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Earthman
Where is this lounge in relation to the C gates ?
which gate is it nearest/beside ?
Thanks
C1

But it is still closed.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 7:37 am

C1

But it is still closed.
I mean where is the admirals club/Sakura lounge not the Qantas one?
Google says it opens at 530am but doesnt say near what gate
Thanks,anyone know ?
Old Apr 22, 2024, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Earthman
I mean where is the admirals club/Sakura lounge not the Qantas one?
Google says it opens at 530am but doesnt say near what gate
Thanks,anyone know ?
Sorry, I thought you meant the one just mentioned in the post before. The JAL AA joint lounge is in the middle of the central terminal. towards the E gates so to say, above The Local. Up from the main concourse.
Earthman likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 9:54 am

Sorry, I thought you meant the one just mentioned in the post before. The JAL AA joint lounge is in the middle of the central terminal. towards the E gates so to say, above The Local. Up from the main concourse.
Thanks,I foound it
Its very quiet and very bright but a nice oasis of air con away from the crowds outside ! Spartan and a bit of a trek to my C gate,but nice nonetheless
outside downstairs is like a zoo this morninh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.