Wiki Posts
Search

Fall schedule F to US?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Fall schedule F to US?

It seems like come Oct 29th, SFO and LAX are both losing F class and fully switching over to 787s - that leaves a 2x daily JFK and 1x DFW frequency to North America.

Does anyone know where JAL if flying those spare 773s with F class to instead?
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:40 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
HND-LHR
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 1:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Those A350-1000s can't come fast enough. The 77W F is really dated and shows it's age compared to what NH offers. You're not missing all that much if you have to fly in C on the 787 instead. (yes the seat is tremendously bigger, but they always seem to have problems when I'm in one, they all seem to need overhauled if they'll keep them in service much longer.)
Old Nov 4, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Just realized this as well while snagging some F awards from DFW. Was hoping to get a West Coast departure point, but they are all 787

Really shocked JL removed the 777 from LAX and SFO
Old Nov 4, 2023, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Just realized this as well while snagging some F awards from DFW. Was hoping to get a West Coast departure point, but they are all 787

SFO/ORD to HND have 777 in February-March, but TBD afterwards
FlyingFrZ likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 7:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by freckles123
SFO/ORD to HND have 777 in February-March, but TBD afterwards
I did a bit of digging into this - it looks like one of the 77Ws is out for maintenance (JA732J). 77W service to SFO is due to be reinstated starting Dec 13th, so I'm guessing that's when JA732J returns to service (but F is not even for sale until Feb 1st). In the meantime, the 77W is doing short-haul flights to FUK and BKK this winter to utilize the 13th 77W. ORD gets 77W restored on Feb 1st, so that's probably JAL's outside date for when they expect the A350-1000 to be flying the JFK route.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 9:25 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jch636
I did a bit of digging into this - it looks like one of the 77Ws is out for maintenance (JA732J). 77W service to SFO is due to be reinstated starting Dec 13th, so I'm guessing that's when JA732J returns to service (but F is not even for sale until Feb 1st). In the meantime, the 77W is doing short-haul flights to FUK and BKK this winter to utilize the 13th 77W. ORD gets 77W restored on Feb 1st, so that's probably JAL's outside date for when they expect the A350-1000 to be flying the JFK route.
Dec 13 is probably when they plan to launch the non-daily A350-1000 service to JFK if that’s when SFO reverts back to 77W. Details will be announced next week.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 4:22 am

I was wondering where all the close-in award availability had gone… this explains it!
Old Nov 5, 2023, 11:49 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ

Great for peopel redeeming miles. Doubt there were many paying cash fares.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by triplefives
Great for peopel redeeming miles. Doubt there were many paying cash fares.
You reckon DFW has more people buying F? I suspect that continues to get 77W service for higher premium cabin capacity for connections.

F aside, I think typically LAX and SFO have had tons of demand historically but are more O&D dependent. I could speculate that California's current skyrocketing (and likely not ending soon) crime rate might have something to do with demand decreasing so much that JL can justify a plane with about half the premium cabin capacity, could explain ORD going to a 787 as well. Many Japanese are terribly risk averse.
cjsnell likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 4:50 pm

I'm just getting back into this after a long time away. What's the easiest way to find F award seats (US to JP) on JAL? I've been going through the AA site and it's excruciating, scrolling through single days at a time, since they don't allow you to search "only F". Is there a better way?
Old Nov 7, 2023, 5:41 am

Try Cathay Pacific/ Asia Miles website.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 9:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dvs7310
You reckon DFW has more people buying F? I suspect that continues to get 77W service for higher premium cabin capacity for connections.

F aside, I think typically LAX and SFO have had tons of demand historically but are more O&D dependent. I could speculate that California's current skyrocketing (and likely not ending soon) crime rate might have something to do with demand decreasing so much that JL can justify a plane with about half the premium cabin capacity, could explain ORD going to a 787 as well. Many Japanese are terribly risk averse.
Are you really trying to link local crime rate with airline revenue forecasting / planning?
dw, beachfan and KBOS777 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by izzik
Are you really trying to link local crime rate with airline revenue forecasting / planning?
I agree, I don't think that has much to do with it and if true, it would cause a service cancellation entirely.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by izzik
Does seem ironic that ORD, SFO, and LAX all lost 77W service, while DFW keeps it... Sounds like a lot less high spenders flying those routes for some reason, you can take your own guesses as to why the high spenders aren't flying in numbers sufficient enough to support a 77W anymore.

Of course maybe it's just coincidence, but people getting everything stolen the first stop they make out of LAX and SFO are all over YouTube / TikTok / Instagram... believe it or not Japanese people see those too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.