Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JFK to HND via JAL - Booking direct or codeshare at AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Planning a trip from NYC JFK to HND Japan.

Is there any difference booking direct with JAL or code share via AA? Which one you u recommend?

If I book via JAL, can I credit the miles into my AA account? If yes, how?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 9:59 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Naiwenzh

Is there any difference booking direct with JAL or code share via AA? Which one you u recommend?
Biggest gotcha is if you do not have Oneworld Sapphire or Emerald, and you want to book JAL premium economy and get JAL lounge access, the ticket must be JL coded and operated.
i.e. Your ticket says JL 3 operated by Japan Airlines = you have Sakura Lounge access
Your ticket says AA8495 operated by Japan Airlines = no lounge access

Yes, you just select AA from the list and put your AA number in the frequent flyer number field
Old Aug 16, 2023, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Naiwenzh

If you want to earn on AA, you generally should book AA coded. The loyalty points earning on partner flights is pretty low. Of course, do the math for the specific booking, but it is unlikely to better if booking the JL code.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 6:56 am

Programs: DL
There may be differences in seat selection with JAL direct offering more seats in general, but it depends on a lot of factors. The AA codeshare will be much slower to receive schedule updates, but you'll be able to use AA support including chat which is far more convenient and accessible in my opinion. That's probably less important with a single long haul flight.
Naiwenzh likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Also, it is likely JL ticket and AA ticket have difference fees and rules associated with ticket change and cancellation.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paul21
There may be differences in seat selection with JAL direct offering more seats in general, but it depends on a lot of factors. The AA codeshare will be much slower to receive schedule updates, but you'll be able to use AA support including chat which is far more convenient and accessible in my opinion. That's probably less important with a single long haul flight.
I agree that accessing customer service is a pain with Asian airlines. My previous call to with asian airlines, Cathay, Asiana were long wait. Just tried calling ANA this week and was on queue for 1.5 hours, gave up in the end without speaking to anyone.
Accessing customer support is one of my concern. American airlines seem easier to contact. Asian airlines customer support is only available certain hours where as American airlines are 24/7. But since it is one way, it might not big of a deal if I don't need any "change."

Last edited by Naiwenzh; Aug 16, 2023 at 12:12 pm
Old Aug 16, 2023, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If you want to earn on AA, you generally should book AA coded. The loyalty points earning on partner flights is pretty low. Of course, do the math for the specific booking, but it is unlikely to better if booking the JL code.
​​​​​​I get my points mostly from credit card. Earning more points from this trip is not my major concern. I just want the points in my AA account, which I have more use. I have no points on JAL account. Assessing customer support is one of my other concern.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If you are booking $3,000+ biz or higher flights, probably.

But booking direct with a partner airline in non-super saver economy or PE would net you massively more LP than AA direct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.