Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL codeshare on AA questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2023, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

JAL codeshare on AA questions

I had a booking DEL->HND->SFO in Premium Economy.

This has now been revised to DEL->HND->ORD->SFO, ORD-SFO is JAL codeshare on AA in Economy. ~5hrs layover in HND and ORD

- Will I get lounge access in ORD? I'm guessing maybe no as departing flight is AA domestic, but its also on the same JAL ticket so is there a chance?
- Since one leg of the flight is now in Economy but price is same as original PE, do I get any benefits/perks/adjustments?
- will baggage be thru checked to final destination SFO ? Will I need to pay for cabin baggage on the AA codeshare?

Last edited by ecrispy; Jul 1, 2023 at 11:57 pm
Old Jul 2, 2023, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As someone based in London I am unqualified to answer your latest questions, but I was quite invested in your previous queries about finding vegetarian food at the JAL Sakura lounge and airside at Haneda.

What happened? Did you find anything? Do you have any feedback that could help other vegetarians and vegans (or those with other dietary restrictions) who will be transiting Haneda Airport?
Old Jul 2, 2023, 1:48 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
No lounge access at ORD based on class of service. Bags will be tagged all the way to SFO, but you will need to collect your checked bags at SFO and re-check them for your SFO flight.

Last edited by JALPak; Jul 2, 2023 at 4:01 am
Old Jul 2, 2023, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
No lounge access at ORD based on class of service. Bags will check tagged all the way to SFO, but you will need to collect your checked bags at SFO and re-check them for your SFO flight.
what does 'check tagged' mean? baggage tag? do you mean I have to collect my checked bags, carry them with me for the layover, then check them in for the AA flight? what about baggage fees? AA is a domestic flight and nothing is free, hence why i asked about any benefits I'd get as its an international ticket and that too on a more expensive class.

Last edited by ecrispy; Jul 2, 2023 at 2:56 am
Old Jul 2, 2023, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
As someone based in London I am unqualified to answer your latest questions, but I was quite invested in your previous queries about finding vegetarian food at the JAL Sakura lounge and airside at Haneda.

What happened? Did you find anything? Do you have any feedback that could help other vegetarians and vegans (or those with other dietary restrictions) who will be transiting Haneda Airport?
I will make a separate post about the meals I had and overall experience, sure.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ecrispy
what does 'check tagged' mean? baggage tag? do you mean I have to collect my checked bags, carry them with me for the layover, then check them in for the AA flight? what about baggage fees? AA is a domestic flight and nothing is free, hence why i asked about any benefits I'd get as its an international ticket and that too on a more expensive class.
JAL in Delhi will print a luggage tag all the way to SFO, At the first point of entry to the US you will need to collect your luggage, take it through customs, and drop it off with AA. There will be no luggage fees for this, your allowance is the standard JAL allowance for the full itinerary.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had a booking DEL->HND->SFO in Premium Economy.

This has now been revised to DEL->HND->ORD->SFO, ORD-SFO is JAL codeshare on AA in Economy. ~5hrs layover in HND and ORD

- Will I get lounge access in ORD? I'm guessing maybe no as departing flight is AA domestic, but its also on the same JAL ticket so is there a chance?
- Since one leg of the flight is now in Economy but price is same as original PE, do I get any benefits/perks/adjustments?
- will baggage be thru checked to final destination SFO ? Will I need to pay for cabin baggage on the AA codeshare?
JL still flies to SFO, no? Even if you have to overnight in Japan, that would be much better than the ORD routing IMO. Taking a refund and booking something else more sane is also an option.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 2, 2023 at 5:09 am
Old Jul 2, 2023, 4:08 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Typo. Bags will be tagged all the way to SFO. Since US DOT exception applies to your ticket, the first marketing carrier of your entire ticket determines the allowance.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
JL still flies to SFO, no? Even if you have to overnight in Japan, that would be much better than the ORD routing IMO. Taking a refund and booking something else more same is also an option.
OP doesn’t have a visa that would allow entry to Japan. Overnighting there (particularly as a vegetarian) won’t be as attractive as it would be to other transit passengers.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
OP doesn’t have a visa that would allow entry to Japan. Overnighting there (particularly as a vegetarian) won’t be as attractive as it would be to other transit passengers.
Then he could presumably fly via HKG instead. His stated itinerary gives me shivers.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:39 am

Programs: BA GfL
Ask JL to rebook you on NRT-SFO instead of HND-ORD-SFO flight.
grussell121 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Peregrine415
Exactly, I have a trip from SFO to Tokyo next month. Outbound is SFO-HND and the return is NRT-SFO.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Peregrine415
And if the traveller does not have a passport with visa free entry to Japan, how do you propose they easily enter Japan for the transfer from Haneda to Narita?
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
And if the traveller does not have a passport with visa free entry to Japan, how do you propose they easily enter Japan for the transfer from Haneda to Narita?
During Covid, Japan made 2 day stays easy for most nationalities, even though they weren't really issuing visas. I'm not sure if this is still the case.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
During Covid, Japan made 2 day stays easy for most nationalities, even though they weren't really issuing visas. I'm not sure if this is still the case.
They most certainly did not make it easy to enter Japan. You could basically stay in Haneda overnight, and some cases for practical reasons stretch that beyond the standard 24 hours, there was no way that normal people could transit from airport to airport during the pandemic. In the very late part of the period, there was a not very advertised option to get JAL to vouch for a passenger, so it was possible to have an overnight connection to and from Taiwan in Narita but in the bigger scheme of things, that was a very limited period and a very limited subset set of passengers. And it did not allow moving from Narita to Haneda or vice versa.

There was a fairly big case of Air Canada getting a group of passengers stuck in Narita due to missed a connection, they did get to stay in Narita overnight and for a couple of days, but they never got to leave the terminal building.

Years ago, there was a 72 hour transit without visa option, but I have not seen reference to that in years. It is possible to apply for a transit visa via the Japanese embassy/diplomatic representation.
LapLap and moondog like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.