Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JL digital board pass is still in the iOS Wallet main screen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2023, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Anyone else experiencing this? Usually after the flight is completed, the digital boarding pass would automatically be archived. At least this was the case with every other airline except for JL. My Tokyo trip boarding pass is still in the main screen. Why? How can I archive it.
Old May 19, 2023, 9:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Sounds like an Apple iOS wallet issue. Maybe contact someone at Apple?
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 7:37 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Just delete it.
Old May 21, 2023, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mizunara
Just delete it.
I want to archive it.
Old May 22, 2023, 4:08 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
This is likely not an OS/wallet issue and something that the airline hasn't implemented correctly. It'll probably help to provide a detailed report of behavior and expectations with examples, etc. to JAL if you're hoping they eventually fix it.

Took a little bit of time to look into it and it's because JAL hasn't set an expiration date in their passes. Qantas seems to have the same problem. Whereas a recent AS boarding pass of mine has its expiration date set to a little over 2 days after arrival. AFAIK there probably isn't much you can do about this.
lsquare, AJchang, LapLap and 2 others like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by izzik
Sounds like an Apple iOS wallet issue. Maybe contact someone at Apple?
It isn’t an Apple issue. The issuer of the pass handles triggering the push that marks it as invalidated/expired.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/walletpasses/adding_a_web_service_to_update_passes

This functionality works fine for most other airlines. It used to work for JAL but they broke something and it hasn’t for quite some time. Most likely they aren’t sending any push over APNS after a flight.

They could also just set an expiration time but this is a bit risky due to things like delays which may be why they don’t do so. They could just set it two days in the future like described in the post above.

Last edited by nexusCFX; May 27, 2023 at 2:33 pm
Old May 27, 2023, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
It isn’t an Apple issue. The issuer of the pass handles triggering the push that marks it as invalidated/expired.

https://developer.apple.com/document..._update_passes

This functionality works fine for most other airlines. It used to work for JAL but they broke something and it hasn’t for quite some time. Most likely they aren’t sending any push over APNS after a flight.
I'm guessing it'll be stuck on the main screen forever then? Is anyone else here experiencing this?
Old May 27, 2023, 2:34 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm guessing it'll be stuck on the main screen forever then? Is anyone else here experiencing this?
Yes. All you can do is delete it. I would write in to JAL, although their support will likely also mistakenly describe this as an Apple bug.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 2:40 am

I had the same issue. Still have. Just wait a few days, it will be archived eventually (mine were after a couple of days).

Not sure why it takes longer for JAL than for the other carriers, though.
Old May 28, 2023, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kyotoben
I had the same issue. Still have. Just wait a few days, it will be archived eventually (mine were after a couple of days).

Not sure why it takes longer for JAL than for the other carriers, though.
I completed my JL flight back in January 2023...
Old May 28, 2023, 3:26 am

Oh, that is unusual.

Then it is probably different from my issue.

I had taken a flight last weekend and it was only archived Wednesday or Thursday the week after. For other carriers, the passes are usually gone from the wallet screen and archived on the next day.
Old May 28, 2023, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kyotoben
Oh, that is unusual.

Then it is probably different from my issue.

I had taken a flight last weekend and it was only archived Wednesday or Thursday the week after. For other carriers, the passes are usually gone from the wallet screen and archived on the next day.
You are absolutely right. I also got the JL boarding pass in Google Wallet and that was archived after the flight was completed. Only Apple Wallet failed to archive the bp. It's already June and I don't have any hope it'll be done automatically.
Old May 28, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I took a TK flight back in Jul 2022, pass is still in my Wallet so looks like it's an issue with some carriers.

Originally Posted by lsquare
I want to archive it.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes to not only keep paper bp's but also archive Apple Wallet ones. What I used to do back when there was no "Archive" in Wallet was to send the pass to myself via iMessage.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.