Wiki Posts
Search

Duplicate/Impossible Award Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Duplicate/Impossible Award Tickets

We (2 travelers) are looking at travel on JAL later this year. Currently, I have a ticket for 1 of us in J with an AA Award, as there’s not availability now for both of us in J.

I feel fairly confident that at some point we will find seats in J closer-in, but I want to protect our travel by booking an economy award. It will be on a different routing, but on the same date. I am looking at booking with Alaska MileagePlan, to at least prevent AA from canceling a duplicate/impossible booking. But will JAL catch this and cancel it?
Old Apr 19, 2023, 9:23 am

In my experience, no. But anything is possible.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 2:40 pm

Did you try this and what happened?

My case is a little different. I have AA awards ticketed on JAL and want to book the same flight and passengers in a different cabin. It's not a different routing. I will use AS miles. I'd rather not cancel the 1st until the 2nd are ticketed. JAL takes time to finalize an award, and I'm concerned they'll cancel one automatically while waiting. I'm trying to decide on the best strategy.

The JAL website vaguely mentions they block duplicates at purchase time, but I assume they're referring to their website only.
Q. If you try to make a duplicate reservation, you will get an error.
A. In order for more customers to use their seats effectively, we may not be able to accept multiple reservations that are not actually available due to the schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.