Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL Sakura Lounge at SFO closing 25th June 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2023, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Hi,

Just saw this on the JAL website and thought it deserved its own thread

JAL | The Change of Lounge Service in San Francisco International Airport

The JAL SFO Sakura lounge will close after 25th June 2023

From 26th June 2023 , eligible pax can use the British Airways lounge ( A gates after security)

First class pax can use BA first dining ( + 1 guest)

Have not been to SFO personally for years so cannot comment on how the BA lounge is now

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 16, 2023, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The Sakura lounge is pretty drap, so I can't say it is a loss. I was looking for the BA lounge last time I flew out on Jl57. However it was closed for the relevant hours, so I guess they will get BA to extend the opening hours to suit the JAL departures. But at least it should keep crowding a bit at bay not having too many flights mixing.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:03 am

BA lounge at SFO is pretty unimpressive in my opinions especially given the amount of premium passengers BA has, but for JAL operation, it should be okay. The business section is decent, despite food is bad. The first Dining is pretty underwhelming too. I actually skipped BA lounge when I flew BA F a couple weeks ago. I just walked around Terminal 1 and International Terminal A and then got a nice Vietnamese noodle soup in one of the eateries on Terminal One. I can't wait for the whole SFO airport to be connected soon so I can just go to Alaska Lounge or AMEX Centurion lounge.

However, BA SFO lounge is still way better than JAL Sakura lounge at SFO.

Carfield
Old May 11, 2023, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Good riddance. The terminal is better than the JAL Sakura lounge at SFO.
Old May 13, 2023, 5:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pickles
Good riddance. The terminal is better than the JAL Sakura lounge at SFO.
I doubt most here would agree given that half this forum are threads asking about JAL lounges....
Old May 13, 2023, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by izzik
I doubt most here would agree given that half this forum are threads asking about JAL lounges....
Have you been to the Sakura lounge at SFO? The F Lounge at NRT it isn't. It even isn't some mediocre Priority Pass lounge in pretty much every airport in the US. Compared to the Harvey Milk terminal, it's a flatulent dump, especially when crowded, which is most of the time as it's only open when the widebodies are getting ready to depart.
Old May 13, 2023, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
While the "terminal is better" moniker in some ways is a poetic exaggeration, it is not a lounge that will be missed by this frequent JAL traveller. The staff was quite nice though, and I hope some of the regular faces will still be there in the BA lounge.
Old May 13, 2023, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Just saw this on the JAL website and thought it deserved its own thread

JAL | The Change of Lounge Service in San Francisco International Airport

The JAL SFO Sakura lounge will close after 25th June 2023

From 26th June 2023 , eligible pax can use the British Airways lounge ( A gates after security)

First class pax can use BA first dining ( + 1 guest)

Have not been to SFO personally for years so cannot comment on how the BA lounge is now

Regards

TBS
Why is it closing? It's a shame that JL isn't renovating the lounge and giving it the HND/NRT treatment.
Old May 13, 2023, 10:17 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Lots of people bash the SFO Sakura Lounge, but I've been there a few times and thought it was fine. I've never understood all the negativity.
izzik likes this.
Old May 13, 2023, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Lots of people bash the SFO Sakura Lounge, but I've been there a few times and thought it was fine. I've never understood all the negativity.
Did it offer hot food?
Old May 13, 2023, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Did it offer hot food?
It did offer a couple of hot options.
Old May 14, 2023, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It did offer a couple of hot options.
Such as what? As extensive as Sakura NRT?
Old May 14, 2023, 10:24 am

Have you been to the Sakura lounge at SFO? The F Lounge at NRT it isn't. It even isn't some mediocre Priority Pass lounge in pretty much every airport in the US. Compared to the Harvey Milk terminal, it's a flatulent dump, especially when crowded, which is most of the time as it's only open when the widebodies are getting ready to depart.
Yes, I have been there. Earlier this year, in fact.

Originally Posted by lsquare
Such as what? As extensive as Sakura NRT?
Are you really comparing to a hub lounge? Apples and oranges.
dw likes this.
Old May 14, 2023, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I have been there. Earlier this year, in fact.
Then you have a soft spot for the Sakura Lounge in KIX? To be fair, that lounge, as miserable as it is, actually beats the terminal!
Old May 14, 2023, 5:00 pm

Then you have a soft spot for the Sakura Lounge in KIX? To be fair, that lounge, as miserable as it is, actually beats the terminal!
What are you talking about? KIX?
This is about SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.