Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Report on Zipair full flat seat differences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Missed my Zipair outbound check-in cutoff the other day and had to scramble and grab another flight over to Seoul. Threw up a few thoughts on Air Premia's "42" seat here:
Air Premia - not bad at all

On the way home I decided to actually get to the airport on time and got to finally see what Zipair is all about, and wanted to do a quick writeup for those who are tall and bigfooted like me. I had preselected 1K for the trip. I settled in and immediately realized I had unknowingly made a mistake. Like all reverse herringbone seats, the foot cubby narrows at the end, but this was ridiculous. It was impossible for me to have my legs even remotely straight without bending my neck sideways, and what's more is I couldn't even fit by bending my knees as the angle of the seat was too severe. Yikes!

So I decided to see if the middle seats were any better than the window (there are no middle seats in row 1) - and it was immediately apparent that 2G had WAY more room - both length and width, AND as it turns out height.

However, Zipair does NOT want you moving seats - to the point that I was initially given a flat "NO" when I asked if it would be ok to move from 1K to 2G (they later emphasize this during the safety briefing) - I kept a smile and asked in a friendly manner if they might consider an exception for a giant like me given that the window seats are more cramped. The purser was queried and she said it was ok this one time (only two other pax in full flat and they were on the opposite side of the craft in window seats). Later on I asked if they would mind if I hopped into a couple of other seats to grab some photos and compare and they said no problem.

Photos to follow - for reference i'm about 192cm and size 31cm shoe

Last edited by pesos; Jan 26, 2023 at 1:34 am
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Weird that the photo and other rich controls are missing on Edge and Firefox in windows… switched to mobile and here they are…

anyways here is 1k full flat (again I had to crane my neck sideways to even straighten my legs and my feet had to also be one on top of the other):

my legs were uncomfortably pinned against the sides of the seat.

in 2G you can see there is a marked difference (and I had plenty of headroom left even when fully extended):

no uncomfortable leg pinning - much more open and wider configuration.

2k was a bit better than 1k but still uncomfortable - a bit longer and wider but not as much height as 1k oddly:

and finally 3g which ends up being similar to 2k overall:

Old Jan 26, 2023, 5:02 am

Cool "business differences" on ZIPAIR

Thank you for making the effort and try all the different options as well as take all the pictures.
Not exactly tall as you, even so, like to know if I'm going to be comfortable rather than snug, especially in a fully flat seat ...
Contemplating dashing over to Seoul for a few days around Easter, heard some good things about ZIPAIR recently but I prefer HND over NRT , so it's probably going to be JAL ...
pesos likes this.

Last edited by DRAGON_fly; Jan 27, 2023 at 7:06 am
Old Jan 26, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Tall guy here too. Thanks for the pics. I've generally noticed that with reverse herringbone seats that the window seats generally have more legroom than the middles, and that the bulkheads have the most. I guess Zipair's config is the exact opposite of this!

I've been considering trying them at some point, but I'm definitely going to do a shorter haul flight in Asia before I commit to a LAX-NRT...
brabb12 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 6:40 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Thank you for the report. As for a seat change, it is LCC and that is their policy. Does ZIP Air have an advance seat assignment fee even in ZIP Full-Flat?

Another point about ZIP Air people are talking about on the net, ZIP Air is LCC, front section lie-flat seats are called ZIP Full-Flat and not business class. May not be an issue on ICN-NRT flights, but ZIP Full-Flat does not come with a complimentary blanket and pillow. NRT-SJC/LAX flights passengers need to bring their own blanket and pillow or purchase an amenity kit that cost 2500 yen which includes a blanket, plugs, eye mask, neck pillow, and slippers. Same for meals in ZIP Full-Flat.

LCC with a premium class often includes amenities and meals, but with ZIP Air the only difference is a seat, amenities and meals in ZIP Full-Flat are the same as standard seats.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:01 am
Original Poster

They do. I paid 2200 yen for the "biz" bundle that included seat selection and bumping my carryon allowance from 7kg to 13kg. Onboard a coke was 300yen and other snacks/drinks were available to purchase but not meals (must be prepurchased).
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:44 am

As long as you are aware beforehand ...

Last edited by DRAGON_fly; Jan 27, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Old Jan 27, 2023, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DRAGON_fly
As long as you are aware beforehand ...
?
Old Jan 27, 2023, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by pesos
?
... Regarding the catering/food that you have to arrange beforehand ... makes sense when you think about it, but honestly it did not even cross my mind until I saw you mentioned it . Now I'm thinking about a blanket and pillow for long haul flights ... bring your own or purchase it every time you take a longer flight ...
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:45 pm

Thank you for these details, I am quite shocked at how small the footwell is in 1K, 2K, and 3G.

So 2G is more roomy, and I assume that 2D is the same. Are those the only 2 seats in the cabin with roomy footwells? It seems like the A and K seats have small foot wells, and except for the first row of the center seats (D and G), the foot wells are small as well.

https://seatmaps.com/airlines/zg-zipair/boeing-787/

That being said, this report was done by a traveller in 4K and they report the footwell as "roomy." Maybe they are not as tall as the original poster in this thread?

https://milelion.com/2022/11/18/revi...-flat-nrt-sin/
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stratoliner777
Thank you for these details, I am quite shocked at how small the footwell is in 1K, 2K, and 3G.

So 2G is more roomy, and I assume that 2D is the same. Are those the only 2 seats in the cabin with roomy footwells? It seems like the A and K seats have small foot wells, and except for the first row of the center seats (D and G), the foot wells are small as well.

https://seatmaps.com/airlines/zg-zipair/boeing-787/

That being said, this report was done by a traveller in 4K and they report the footwell as "roomy." Maybe they are not as tall as the original poster in this thread?

https://milelion.com/2022/11/18/revi...-flat-nrt-sin/
sorry I never saw this reply - yes those are the only two that I could see that were roomier. Mr Wong says nothing about his height or shoe size - which means for a 192+cm person with 31cm feet that part of the review is summarily ignored 😂 - I’m guessing he’s 5’10” at best if he felt he could actually move around. The narrowness of the window seat footwells was killer. Heading to Seoul again next week and my return is on zip - in 2g lol
Stratoliner777 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Interesting that these are basically the same seats for KLM 787-10 I guess they chose some different customisations, as they generally get good comments. Or is Mr Wong wrong on that remark....
Old Nov 10, 2023, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Interesting that these are basically the same seats for KLM 787-10 I guess they chose some different customisations, as they generally get good comments. Or is Mr Wong wrong on that remark....
overall I like the seats - the materials chosen, layout, etc - just very poorly done footwells. Again, someone who is not as tall or bigfooted will have less of an issue. To me the main surprise is the degree of variety across the seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.