Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Why does JAL want me to fill out Verifly on a connecting flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2022, 4:29 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

We are returning to the US from SE Asia this weekend. Today I got an email from JAL, asking that I fill out Verifly to ease our transit at Narita. I am not familiar with Verifly nor do I understand the benefit of using it. We are American citizens. We no longer have to have Covid test results to enter the country. We have never had to show our vaccination status to do so. Is there really any point of me trying to use this electronic tool?
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:59 am

That email goes out to everyone. Verifly is required for non-US citizens. As a US citizen, I ignored it and had no issues upon return to US or getting on JAL.
SanDiego1K and sambagrrl07 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by portlandexpos04
That email goes out to everyone. Verifly is required for non-US citizens. As a US citizen, I ignored it and had no issues upon return to US or getting on JAL.
Thank you. That's very helpful. I won't struggle with the app in the last hours of our holiday.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thank you. That's very helpful. I won't struggle with the app in the last hours of our holiday.
JAL has the worst automated emails in the industry.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:47 am

Ah, this happened to me several times on several carriers, and I've found that without complying, I was unable to checking in remotely for the mobile boarding pass. If you're fine with checking in at the counter, this is unnecessary. On the other hand, if you only had carry-ons, perhaps it would be worth the effort to secure the mobile BP to bypass the counters, and just go straight through security.
dvs7310 and sambagrrl07 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, this happened to me several times on several carriers, and I've found that without complying, I was unable to checking in remotely for the mobile boarding pass. If you're fine with checking in at the counter, this is unnecessary. On the other hand, if you only had carry-ons, perhaps it would be worth the effort to secure the mobile BP to bypass the counters, and just go straight through security.
I think on a lot of carriers that might be true, but JAL? I'm not sure, they allowed me to do online check in during COVID restrictions for Thailand, USA, and Japan (different trips) without any verification of PCRs or Vax certs. I suppose if you didn't use the check in counter they'd check these at the gates, but despite OLCI they definitely always did the verifications when I dropped of my checked luggage.

Having said that, currently in the case of a US Citizen going to the US, of course it's not necessary to verify anything at all.
sambagrrl07 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

I have now returned home. Thanks for the assurance that I did not need to use Verifly. I successfully checked in the day before. I got my boarding card for NRT-SAN but not SGN-NRT. The agent needed to see our passports. We were given lounge passes when given our boarding cards. The process was very easy.
sambagrrl07, Visconti and izzik like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.