Inflight purchase of Mori Izo Shochu

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2022, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Inflight purchase of Mori Izo Shochu

Finally returning to Japan in February 2023 after 3 long years away

Flying business class LAX to HND and same on return

Perusing the inflight catalogue and seeing Mori Izo available for purchase on the flights. Previously those required advance reservation to buy but no mention of that is made currently.

Has anyone taken advantage of this (great shochu at a really good price)?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 16, 2022, 5:22 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by davidgrahammd

Perusing the inflight catalogue and seeing Mori Izo available for purchase on the flights. Previously those required advance reservation to buy but no mention of that is made currently.

Thanks in advance
Note that this is available to First and Business Class passengers only. Make sure you are in an eligible cabin if you plan to purchase this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Thanks in advance
There are several versions of Mori Izo that JAL has been offering. The more standard variety currently available has never required pre order. But have always been limited to first and business class, and it has been a bit of a mix of whether you needed to fly long haul, or the mid haul Asia flights were included as well. Short Asia routes never were.

The red bottles, were pre order for Diamond and JGC members only, the green label was pre order for Diamond members flying F only.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There are several versions of Mori Izo that JAL has been offering. The more standard variety currently available has never required pre order. But have always been limited to first and business class, and it has been a bit of a mix of whether you needed to fly long haul, or the mid haul Asia flights were included as well. Short Asia routes never were.

The red bottles, were pre order for Diamond and JGC members only, the green label was pre order for Diamond members flying F only.

this may solve my question remember seeing Mori Izo for about 30k JPY per bottle and required reservation but it’s now only roughly 3k. I brought a bottle anyway when seeing this price ^
Old Nov 16, 2022, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by cchuang1980
this may solve my question remember seeing Mori Izo for about 30k JPY per bottle and required reservation but it’s now only roughly 3k. I brought a bottle anyway when seeing this price ^
Still quite a bargain, unless you are one of the privileged few that can buy direct. If you can't buy direct, the current bottle on JAL retails around 20K yen in Tokyo.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Still quite a bargain, unless you are one of the privileged few that can buy direct. If you can't buy direct, the current bottle on JAL retails around 20K yen in Tokyo.
Thanks to all who responded!
This sounds great.

The only other time I've seen a bottle in the wild was at Don Quixote for over 10K so this is truly a bargain. Definitely will be taking advantage of this (yes, I am in the business cabin both ways)
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:06 am

Programs: *G
I bought it on Monday (C class NRT/FRA).
When I asked it to a cabin crew, she said "only one, Sir?". I bought only one, but maybe I could more.
Last time, FRA/NRT in 2020, crew said that each passenger could buy max 3 bottles.
If you want more, you should ask on it.
3400yen, but you can sell it with 9000yen or more at some pawnshops in Japan,
Old Jan 3, 2023, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Just looked at the latest inflight shopping magazine and the regular bottle is no longer listed. Its the green label bottle only.

Arrgggh

I'm flying in 5 weeks so it looks like no luck for me
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just looked at the latest inflight shopping magazine and the regular bottle is no longer listed. Its the green label bottle only.

Arrgggh

I'm flying in 5 weeks so it looks like no luck for me
You just need to fly first class, then you can get the green label, which supposedly is better than the regular. Or rapidly get diamond status for a pre order service in J.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 1:31 am

Noob question, can you buy this only on outbound flights? Or inbound (from SFO) is allowed as well?
Old Jan 12, 2023, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenteamuimui
Noob question, can you buy this only on outbound flights? Or inbound (from SFO) is allowed as well?
Both are possible.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:32 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Mori Izo Red and Green both pre-order only on my flights (flying as JGP in F on NRT-JFK) - cabin in-charge said Green out til March and Red til May “Just to drink, not to buy!”.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 1, 2023 at 7:53 am
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:41 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
So I only just recently found out that JL serves Mori Izo in domestic F! Now I'm really looking forward to trying it on my upcoming domestic F flight in March.
lcpteck and DRAGON_fly like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Mori Izo Red and Green both pre-order only on my flights (flying as JGP in F on NRT-JFK) - cabin in-charge said Green out til March and Red til May “Just to drink, not to buy!”.
To confirm, did they mean it's currently only pre-order only but hopefully they would have them in March/May where you can order in cabin? Unfortunately I don't have any of those premier memberships...

Last edited by greenteamuimui; Feb 1, 2023 at 9:01 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenteamuimui
To confirm, did they mean it's currently only pre-order only but hopefully they would have them in March/May where you can order in cabin? Unfortunately I don't have any of those premier memberships...
The red is sold out, even pre orders are closed. That happened already sometime in December if I remember correctly. Sold out quite rapidly. The green one is supposedly still available for pre order and to F passengers in general.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.