Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL First Class for Couples

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2022, 7:16 am
Original Poster

JAL First Class for Couples

I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but looking to see if anybody has new thoughts.

Wife and I are booked on JAL 8005 JFK-NRT in First Class for our honeymoon. Currently have 1D / 1G selected. If we wanted to be able to talk and just in general experience the flight together, is it better to do 1 aisle 1 window instead of the two in the middle?

If anyone has any experience, that would be great. Thanks

Last edited by swim711crazy; Sep 26, 2022 at 7:22 am
Old Sep 26, 2022, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by swim711crazy
I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but looking to see if anybody has new thoughts.

Wife and I are booked on JAL 8005 JFK-NRT in First Class for our honeymoon. Currently have 1D / 1G selected. If we wanted to be able to talk and just in general experience the flight together, is it better to do 1 aisle 1 window instead of the two in the middle?

​​​​​
The seats in the middle for sure.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:20 pm

Congratulations on your marriage, and getting to fly JL F to Japan. I agree, the two middle seats are the best, the aisle seats have a privacy wall which means you'll need to scoot forward in your seat and poke your head around in order to see/talk to your companion. If you've never flown JL F before, you're in for a real treat. Bon Voyage!
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:41 pm

How full is your flight? If not very, they typically will offer to make up your bed(s) in a separate suite for you, allowing you to use both. Generally your entire half of the cabin would need to be open for this to work for two of you - so you could consider taking the two window seats if there is only one or two other pax on the flight.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pesos
How full is your flight? If not very, they typically will offer to make up your bed(s) in a separate suite for you, allowing you to use both. Generally your entire half of the cabin would need to be open for this to work for two of you - so you could consider taking the two window seats if there is only one or two other pax on the flight.
Flight is still a few months away, so right now it's empty, so we'll see how it goes.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfpaul900
Congratulations on your marriage, and getting to fly JL F to Japan. I agree, the two middle seats are the best, the aisle seats have a privacy wall which means you'll need to scoot forward in your seat and poke your head around in order to see/talk to your companion. If you've never flown JL F before, you're in for a real treat. Bon Voyage!
Thanks! We are very much looking forward to it. Appreciate the thought!
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:22 pm

Middle seats definitely make talking, clinking your glasses to no worries for the next few weeks of honeymoon bliss, and experiencing the flight together easier. However, having a window seat in JL F class, gives you at least 3 windows to gaze out upon and enjoy your meals with a view. You'll have your whole life to talk with her, but it's not everyday that you get to sit in JL F.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benjahman
Middle seats definitely make talking, clinking your glasses to no worries for the next few weeks of honeymoon bliss, and experiencing the flight together easier. However, having a window seat in JL F class, gives you at least 3 windows to gaze out upon and enjoy your meals with a view. You'll have your whole life to talk with her, but it's not everyday that you get to sit in JL F.
Haha, I send this comment to my wife and we had a great laugh. Fantastic point about the windows. Definitely part of my considerations.

Question for those who have flown it. There is enough room for wife and I to dine together in the same suite right? That's part of the feature of the seats?
benjahman likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
I can't see that being comfortable, if it's even doable. As I recall, the ottoman doesn't extend beyond the screen.

Take the two seats in the middle of the cabin when travelling together. JL F has no doors, so gazing out the window isn't a herculean challenge anyway.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Haha, I send this comment to my wife and we had a great laugh. Fantastic point about the windows. Definitely part of my considerations.

Question for those who have flown it. There is enough room for wife and I to dine together in the same suite right? That's part of the feature of the seats?
It is possible, the ottoman has a seat belt in case if turbulence. And yes the ottoman does extend beyond the screen, actually the screen does not protrude. But looking at the table in stored position that is where the guest will sit.

It is not the best seat in the house though, get some pillows for support.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 11:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
And yes the ottoman does extend beyond the screen, actually the screen does not protrude.
Thanks for the correction. I always thought of my feet being under the screen. I do recall the seat belt, but thought it was for belting in feet - JL conservativeness. Never used it.

I would still recommend side by side dining. There is ample space in the middles, it's easy to talk to your companion, and everyone will be comfortable.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pWei
Thanks for the correction. I always thought of my feet being under the screen. I do recall the seat belt, but thought it was for belting in feet - JL conservativeness. Never used it.

I would still recommend side by side dining. There is ample space in the middles, it's easy to talk to your companion, and everyone will be comfortable.
If you get the middle seats, I would definitely pick side by side dinning.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Got it. Sounds like my current selection of 1D and G is the way to go. Thanks all!
Old Sep 29, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
1DG is perfect for a couple. I have flown in those seats and also in 2DG and in all circumstances enjoyed JAL F very much. (Also enjoyed JAL F when I flew alone in a window seat!)
Old Aug 25, 2023, 5:30 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by benjahman
You'll have your whole life to talk with her, but it's not everyday that you get to sit in JL F.
Such a great one-liner, lol.

Thanks for the really helpful thread. Excited to experience JAL F (likely from the middle).
dc10forlife and benjahman like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.