Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL F Seat Broken, How to Request Compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Booked Cathay multi-carrier award. First leg is JFK-HND on JL5 in F. Originally had 2 seats one behind another (1D and 2D), but the gate agent came up and asked if we would like to sit next to each other (1D and 1G). She cautioned that seat 1G didn’t fully recline electronically, but said it would be easy to do manually and we just needed to ask the FA after dinner. We agreed to switch.

On the flight, after dinner, they tried to manually recline the seat but it wouldn’t budge. Several FAs tried for over an hour to pull it down. Eventually they gave up. F was totally full and the only open J seat also didn’t recline all the way. So we said screw it and sat in 1G and tried to sleep at 75% recline.

I would think we should be compensated for this. Anyone know what JAL has offered in similar circumstances and who we should reach out to? I would think the fare difference between F and J would be a good starting point. Not sure if JAL offers money, vouchers, future upgrades, or what. We don’t have JAL points as we booked with Cathay.

A little miffed but service is really excellent and the FAs were very apologetic so we didn’t make a fuss.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:22 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by XUEC
Booked Cathay multi-carrier award. First leg is JFK-HND on JL5 in F. Originally had 2 seats one behind another (1D and 2D), but the gate agent came up and asked if we would like to sit next to each other (1D and 1G). She cautioned that seat 1G didn’t fully recline electronically, but said it would be easy to do manually and we just needed to ask the FA after dinner. We agreed to switch.

On the flight, after dinner, they tried to manually recline the seat but it wouldn’t budge. Several FAs tried for over an hour to pull it down. Eventually they gave up. F was totally full and the only open J seat also didn’t recline all the way. So we said screw it and sat in 1G and tried to sleep at 75% recline.

I would think we should be compensated for this. Anyone know what JAL has offered in similar circumstances and who we should reach out to? I would think the fare difference between F and J would be a good starting point. Not sure if JAL offers money, vouchers, future upgrades, or what. We don’t have JAL points as we booked with Cathay.

A little miffed but service is really excellent and the FAs were very apologetic so we didn’t make a fuss.
The CA should have given you the compensation form. Options will be JAL Coupon in JPY or JMB miles. The CAs probably have also reported the issue already.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
The CA should have given you the compensation form. Options will be JAL Coupon in JPY or JMB miles. The CAs probably have also reported the issue already.
Thank you! We are still on the flight so will look out for the form and ask for it if not offered by the time we land.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Update on this:

FAs finally managed to get the seat to lay down flat but turned off the electronic function so had to call the FA to change the seat whenever we wanted to change positions. Ended up laying down for most of the flight and then sitting up close to landing.

Was offered the compensation form close to landing for 30k JAL miles or 40k yen in voucher or Visa gift card. Took the Visa gift card.
dw, yabadoo and mediator like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
In a similar situation I was offered miles, a voucher of the 40k JPY gift Visa card. I went for the card which was delivered by mail a few weeks after I filled a form. I did not manage to set up the Vanilla card portal to see the balance, but using the card was easy - just like any other prepaid CC.
kevin111260 likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I got one of those for HND-BKK but now idea how much they would offer. I would take miles if I know the amount is decent and I could supplement with Marriott. Is there any way to find out?

At least when UA had these coupons they'd display what they offer and you can pick.
Old May 28, 2023, 9:11 am
koi

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
In a similar situation I was offered miles, a voucher of the 40k JPY gift Visa card. I went for the card which was delivered by mail a few weeks after I filled a form. I did not manage to set up the Vanilla card portal to see the balance, but using the card was easy - just like any other prepaid CC.
Is it just me or 40k jpy visa card to compensate for broken seat in f seems really low... As an introvert, being told that I have to call fa everytime I want to adjust seat, would be nightmare...
Old May 29, 2023, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by koi
Is it just me or 40k jpy visa card to compensate for broken seat in f seems really low... As an introvert, being told that I have to call fa everytime I want to adjust seat, would be nightmare...
Are you being serious right now? Engaging with the crew for service requests presents a problem for you??
Old May 29, 2023, 6:26 am
koi

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Are you being serious right now? Engaging with the crew for service requests presents a problem for you??
Considering the time I wake up during a flight and adjust seats, and thinking about the times I have to call them everytime I want to adjust, yeap. Yeah, just thinking about that happening to me gives me an unease feeling. Some people just don't like to interact with strangers. I even hate it when FA's come around to "chat"
Old Jun 4, 2023, 1:28 pm

Programs: Tribe 54 Sweat Lodge 12
skywalkerLAX I know koi claimed to be an "introvert", but I don't want you to get the wrong idea that we're all socially inept--us regular introverts are not. (My friends & I have no prob talking to randos, when we want, and it doesn't make me anxious.)
Old Jun 26, 2023, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
I had a similar situation over 2 months ago at this point, my flight was on April 17, 2023. First class IFE didn't work at all the entire 16 hour flight.

I filled out the online application for the JPY Visa Gift card, but never received anything. Did you have to do any other hoops to get this delivered? I tried contacting JAL in their USA Los Angeles office, and they couldn't help me at all. I keep trying to call the JAL Japan offices, but I can never seem to get anyone that speaks English and I am running out of Google Voice credits (and patience) lol.

Any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 1:02 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by NefariousSquirrel
I had a similar situation over 2 months ago at this point, my flight was on April 17, 2023. First class IFE didn't work at all the entire 16 hour flight.

I filled out the online application for the JPY Visa Gift card, but never received anything. Did you have to do any other hoops to get this delivered? I tried contacting JAL in their USA Los Angeles office, and they couldn't help me at all. I keep trying to call the JAL Japan offices, but I can never seem to get anyone that speaks English and I am running out of Google Voice credits (and patience) lol.

Any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated.
Just fill out the web form to contact JAL Japan. Provide your flight info for them to follow up.

https://www.5971.jal.co.jp/rsv/Custo...iceInput_en.do
Old Jun 26, 2023, 1:35 pm

Just fill out the web form to contact JAL Japan. Provide your flight info for them to follow up.
You're amazing, thanks so much!
Old Jun 29, 2023, 7:30 pm
koi

Originally Posted by beamerbenzbentli
skywalkerLAX I know koi claimed to be an "introvert", but I don't want you to get the wrong idea that we're all socially inept--us regular introverts are not. (My friends & I have no prob talking to randos, when we want, and it doesn't make me anxious.)
I don't know if I claimed to be socially inept, I just prefer not talking to random people, like starting a convo with the random person sitting next to you on flights, or in a lounge, especially asking FAs to adjust chairs every time I wanna change my seat position. Sure I'm capable, but it would drain my energy so badly that I'd feel terrible and/or keep the chair in one position so that I don't have to ask. OR I would simply ask FAs to teach me how and give me the tools so that I can do it myself instead of asking them.
If you don't have any problem with that, I really don't know what the definition of introvert is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.