Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catering Quantity in F

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2022, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Catering Quantity in F

I am shortly flying F for this first time with JAL and was debating whether to go with the Japanese or Western set menu.

From experience, how many sets of each does JAL cater per flight? I see that there's an option to pre-order a particular set, is there a risk of one or the other running out if I decide inflight?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 11:51 am

I don’t know the quantities, however I’ve read on other reviews best to pre order to avoid any disappointment. If you like Japanese food, strongly recommend the Japanese option. From memory the western meal is normally/often filet steak.

Enjoy you trip
Old Sep 18, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I am shortly flying F for this first time with JAL and was debating whether to go with the Japanese or Western set menu.

From experience, how many sets of each does JAL cater per flight? I see that there's an option to pre-order a particular set, is there a risk of one or the other running out if I decide inflight?
Unrelated to quantities, but this may help you decide which meal you want , and then preorder it. https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/service/first/meal/
PresRDC likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

I usually never pre order, and I have always gotten what I wanted. They are pretty well catered. But of course pre ordering can secure peace of mind. My last pre order was when they first introduced the Japanese meal in collaboration with Kagurazaka Ishikawa.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 5:32 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I usually never pre order, and I have always gotten what I wanted. They are pretty well catered. But of course pre ordering can secure peace of mind. My last pre order was when they first introduced the Japanese meal in collaboration with Kagurazaka Ishikawa.
Unless you are flying with a few other Diamond Metal card passengers/VIPs, chances of you not getting your meal choice without pre-ordering is almost zero. But for those of us with plastic cards, I am not sure
Old Sep 18, 2022, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

I guess I should just make up my mind and pre-order then.

Am having a tough time choosing so was originally thinking of deciding on the spot.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
Unless you are flying with a few other Diamond Metal card passengers/VIPs, chances of you not getting your meal choice without pre-ordering is almost zero. But for those of us with plastic cards, I am not sure
It is not BA, there are more meals than passengers. But the majority of my F flying has been with plastic cards as the metal one only came shortly before the pandemic....
Old Sep 18, 2022, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Unless you are seriously enamored with truly authentic Japanese food, pre-order. I did give the Japanese menu a try, found it wasn't for me, and ended up having that as my only option on a subsequent flight.

Though I often enjoy sushi, my unaccustomed palette was overwhelmed by a seaweed note that I didn't find enjoyable, and was not expected based on the otherwise appetizing description.

So potent and all encompassing, in fact, hours later the ice cream tasted faintly of the sea.

Even the western meal will have a decidedly Japanese spin, particularly the appetizers, so it'll be a distinct experience, and you can still order the Japanese set plate from the wonderful "anytime" menu if you want more adventure.

Last edited by Ghoulish; Sep 18, 2022 at 10:53 pm
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I flew back in July and went with the Japanese menu. Absolutely amazing and the best food I’ve had in air. Note that I love seafood. I wanted to try something that I probably wouldn’t have anywhere outside Japan and I got it. The western menu look nice but most of it I’ve had already at a nice steakhouse

My flight only had one other person so they allowed me to add caviar and a couple of western apps as well to try.
dw, percysmith and reggiekush like this.

Last edited by Cthunder86; Sep 19, 2022 at 9:56 am
Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
I am not sure if this is the common practice, when my family flew JAL F this summer, both my boys had the western meal, they got both fish and the steak, 2 plates each....we had a full F cabin...of course I had to help them a bit...
PresRDC likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:10 pm

I recommend the Japanese meal, the catering on JAL is excellent and much better than ANA imo.

Are you flying into Japan or out of Japan? Flying ex-Japan they serve wagyu beef in the western menu. I was able to sample this also because they had extra loaded in the flight (I recommend asking halfway through the flight to see if they have any extra) and it was the best steak I’ve ever had in a plane.

entering japan the beef is usually prime or lower and much lower quality compared to ex-Japan, and something you can feel ok about skipping.

also if there’s an appetizer or dessert you want to sample from the western menu don’t be afraid to ask them
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:45 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
If you like Japanese food, I would also strongly suggest the Japanese meal. Ex-JFK, it was probably the best meal I have ever had on a plane, and one that probably would not be replicated elsewhere in the air (other than maybe on NH?). Whereas there are certainly some other airlines where you may get a somewhat similar western meal in F.

Other suggestion is that if you get the Japanese meal in F and are then connecting in J to another Asian destination, don’t order the Japanese meal on the connecting flight- you will only be disappointed ;-)
knit-in and GWFan like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by dw
If you like Japanese food, I would also strongly suggest the Japanese meal. Ex-JFK, it was probably the best meal I have ever had on a plane, and one that probably would not be replicated elsewhere in the air (other than on NH). Whereas there are certainly some other airlines where you may get a somewhat similar western meal in F.
Couldn't agree more.

I'd even go as far to say that even if you don't like Japanese food, go with the Japanese meal (so diverse and enough dishes where you're bound to find something you're going to like). If you go with the Western meal and then see what others are getting with their Japanese meal, you're gonna regret that decision, until your next flight when you can have the Japanese meal served.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the all the feedback.

I've flown NH F a few times and went with their Japanese meal every time. For some reason this time with JL couldn't seem to make up my mind.
In the end, decided to pre-order just in case... Seems like it may not be an issue, but would hate to kick myself once I'm on the plane.

EDIT: was wondering if JAL would allow picking the Japanese meal, but also have the Western caviar starter as well?
fmkgb likes this.

Last edited by pentiumvi; Sep 24, 2022 at 5:35 pm
Old Oct 2, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
EDIT: was wondering if JAL would allow picking the Japanese meal, but also have the Western caviar starter as well?
That's exactly what I did in December, no issues.
Flying LHR-HND this week so will report back if I'm successful doing that this time as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.