Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance for overnight transfer at SYD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2022, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JAL JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum

Sorry for the cross post here. I'm flying MEL - > SYD -> HND this week with MEL->SYD on QF, then SYD->HND on JL where JL has been upgraded to J along with my status that gives me 3 x 32kg baggage allowance.

Looking at the QF website it seems to indicate that I am limited to 23kg x 2 allowance as OWE status. Normally I would assume that I'll get the allowance for the international leg, but since it's a 14 hour overnight transit in SYD don't think my bags will go all the way through to HND from MEL. Anyone have any experience on how QF deals with an overnight in SYD in terms of the baggage allowance? Tried seeking some insights from folks on the QF forum but they suggested I ask here instead. Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
How was your JL flight upgraded to J? JMB miles I assume?

It does state that "If you are connecting between a flight operated by another airline and a JAL-operated flight, the free baggage allowance for the upgraded class will not be applicable to the flight sector operated by the other airline."

So, if it is a JMB mileage upgrade, the QF allowance will be that of the original ticket.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks CPH-Flyer. How about the additional baggage allowance for the JMB status?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Comet21
Thanks CPH-Flyer. How about the additional baggage allowance for the JMB status?
Oneworld rules will apply. So extra allowance, but not the JAL specific uplift of weight per piece.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Oneworld rules will apply. So extra allowance, but not the JAL specific uplift of weight per piece.
Thanks for the response. Guess I’ll be on the safe side and split the weight. Frustrating that QF equivalent status gets 32kg per bag when OW status only gets 23kg. Will report back either way after the flight.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Comet21
Thanks for the response. Guess I’ll be on the safe side and split the weight. Frustrating that QF equivalent status gets 32kg per bag when OW status only gets 23kg. Will report back either way after the flight.
Then comes the question, how does QF handle OW members on the 23 to 32kg? JAL will treat OW members as their own their own members on JL flights, meaning they would generally get the 32kg, above and beyond. But what does QF do for non-QF frequent flyers on QF flights?
Old Jul 30, 2022, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Then comes the question, how does QF handle OW members on the 23 to 32kg? JAL will treat OW members as their own their own members on JL flights, meaning they would generally get the 32kg, above and beyond. But what does QF do for non-QF frequent flyers on QF flights?
As suspected, was only given 23kg per bag so had to separate the bags when they give 32kg to their frequent flyers. Should have taken the direct flight. Oh well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.