Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Itinerary change by JAL - Hotel compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (demoted with Amex waiver increase) and 1 MM

Forgive me if there is a thread about this.

I have a business class ticket booked on JAL from SYD to JFK with transfer in HND in August. In June, JAL changed the schedule of the HND to JFK leg to depart before my arrival from SYD. I understand the Royal Park is closed. Australia is a BLUE nation, I have US citizenship. I will get a PCR test within 72 hours of my departure, I and have all vaccines necessary to enter Japan.

MY QUESTIONS:
Do I have recourse to JAL for compensation for the cost of a hotel since they changed my itinerary causing me to have to stay overnight in Tokyo?
What is the proper channel to address this request? The U.S. phone number (800) 525-3663 either goes unanswered or is busy.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:29 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jgers1j
Forgive me if there is a thread about this.

I have a business class ticket booked on JAL from SYD to JFK with transfer in HND in August. In June, JAL changed the schedule of the HND to JFK leg to depart before my arrival from SYD. I understand the Royal Park is closed. Australia is a BLUE nation, I have US citizenship. I will get a PCR test within 72 hours of my departure, I and have all vaccines necessary to enter Japan.

MY QUESTIONS:
Do I have recourse to JAL for compensation for the cost of a hotel since they changed my itinerary causing me to have to stay overnight in Tokyo?
What is the proper channel to address this request? The U.S. phone number (800) 525-3663 either goes unanswered or is busy.
As of right now, I don’t think you are allowed to enter Japan. Your only option is to stay airside if you stick with your current reservation.
dw and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:05 pm

I'm in same kind of situation...i have JFK-HND-DEL
JFK-HND is on JL003 which they seem to suspend every month. My flight is Oct 20th, so waiting to see if they will suspend again or not.
Do we have any case on getting JAL to compensate?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
As of right now, I don’t think you are allowed to enter Japan. Your only option is to stay airside if you stick with your current reservation.
Indeed, entering Japan currently requires a visa for US passport holders. There is currently no visa type available that would be applicable for this situation.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (demoted with Amex waiver increase) and 1 MM
Thanks to all who responded. I agree I cannot enter Japan. It is shocking the tone deafness of JAL to force me into this itinerary. Is this par for the course?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jgers1j
Thanks to all who responded. I agree I cannot enter Japan. It is shocking the tone deafness of JAL to force me into this itinerary. Is this par for the course?
I guess you were originally booked on JL4, and when the August schedule was updated it was cancelled, and you were moved to JL6 the following day?

Unfortunately, JL4/3 has not operated throughout the pandemic. They way JAL manages the covid reductions in flights is that they announced the reductions in blocks of 3-4 months, if you look beyond that period you can book the full prepandemic schedule. If/when a flight gets cancelled, it does mean a need to transfer passenger to other flights with longer connections. And sometimes even that the connection is not possible anymore.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:30 pm

Oct Schedule is announced and JL 3/4 are suspended. Lets see if the transit hotel opens or Japan allows normal tourist visa by then
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
What is weird is that for an airline that will send you multiple messages and emails about all sorts of things, there will be silence about your valid situation
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hau cheng
What is weird is that for an airline that will send you multiple messages and emails about all sorts of things, there will be silence about your valid situation
The update for October was published on the 21st, meaning communication starts to tick out to all passengers affected. Probably as the system assigns new connections and routings to the bookings.

If you are booked through a TA or another airline the coms on the change should come from them.
dw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.