Wiki Posts
Search

Through Check In on 2 separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
Through Check In on 2 separate tickets

Planning to book NRT-SFO in Biz with AS miles. Due to unavailability of award space on BKK-NRT, I’m planning on buying a JL commercial ticket in biz for this segment. Will JL allow me to through check in all the way to SFO at BKK and get my boarding pass for NRT-SFO? Especially with Japan’s stringent entry requirements, I don’t wish to mess with immigration protocols and reclaiming bags at NRT
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kaushik123
Planning to book NRT-SFO in Biz with AS miles. Due to unavailability of award space on BKK-NRT, I’m planning on buying a JL commercial ticket in biz for this segment. Will JL allow me to through check in all the way to SFO at BKK and get my boarding pass for NRT-SFO? Especially with Japan’s stringent entry requirements, I don’t wish to mess with immigration protocols and reclaiming bags at NRT
JAL will check your luggage through no problems there.

Before you fix the plan, check pricing for a Tokyo Bangkok one way flight. It might surprise you. Even a return does not come cheap these days, pricing ex Tokyo is not a cheap market.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AS, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm doing this exact same thing, except I snagged 1st for the NRT-SFO leg. I booked JAL Premium Economy for BKK-NRT as it was almost the same as Economy (~$800 -- ouch).
For more info on transiting in Tokyo, there is a lengthy thread in the Japan destination forum that covers this in detail.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...dition-53.html
Old Oct 8, 2023, 6:50 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
JAL will check your luggage through no problems there.
Would this also apply to an overnight (19 hr.) connection and separate tickets? My itinerary is BOS-NRT (overnight) NRT-KUL.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Gerbs
Would this also apply to an overnight (19 hr.) connection and separate tickets? My itinerary is BOS-NRT (overnight) NRT-KUL.
To my knowledge yes they will keep the luggage overnight in Narita, but the terminal will close so you'll have to to landside as you can't stay airside overnight.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
To my knowledge yes they will keep the luggage overnight in Narita, but the terminal will close so you'll have to to landside as you can't stay airside overnight.
Perfect - will have a carry-on to bring to the overnight accommodation.
Bestter likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 7:40 pm

We successfully through checked our bags on two separate tickets at Itami, one on JAL and one on Alaska Airlines.
artificialard likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 1:07 am

Successfully checked through JL -> B6 (jetblue) in Tokyo a few days ago (separate tickets). Escaped the B6 checked bag fee
percysmith likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 11:02 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

I will be flying BOS-NRT on a ticket boked with JAL and have a second ticket I purchased with AA miles for NRT-ITM (two hour layover). Anyone has any experience or opinion on whether JAL will let me link these in BOS? I am a bit anvious about the window being only two-hours.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planes&trains
I will be flying BOS-NRT on a ticket boked with JAL and have a second ticket I purchased with AA miles for NRT-ITM (two hour layover). Anyone has any experience or opinion on whether JAL will let me link these in BOS? I am a bit anvious about the window being only two-hours.
They will give you both boarding passes in Boston, and if you have any luggage check it in as domestic connection. But you will still have to reclaim luggage in Narita, and check it in for the domestic flight. Cut off for domestic flights is basically scanning your boarding pass at security 20 minutes before departure.

Even if checked through the risk is your own, and the flight is the last JAL flight of the day. JAL may rebook you for free, but have no obligation to do so. They will not put you up for the night, or pay for the shinkansen if you miss it.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 3:18 pm

They will give you both boarding passes in Boston, and if you have any luggage check it in as domestic connection. But you will still have to reclaim luggage in Narita, and check it in for the domestic flight. Cut off for domestic flights is basically scanning your boarding pass at security 20 minutes before departure.

Even if checked through the risk is your own, and the flight is the last JAL flight of the day. JAL may rebook you for free, but have no obligation to do so. They will not put you up for the night, or pay for the shinkansen if you miss it.
Thank you for the comprehensive repsonse. Looks like I pushed my luck here. I would have to go into Tokyo to catch the train and that just adds more work, so I guess I may have to do the Hilton NRT for the night in the worst case.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:22 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Thank you for the comprehensive repsonse. Looks like I pushed my luck here. I would have to go into Tokyo to catch the train and that just adds more work, so I guess I may have to do the Hilton NRT for the night in the worst case.
Actually the worst case is Hilton for the night and a new ticket to get to Osaka as JAL is not obligated to rebook.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Actually the worst case is Hilton for the night and a new ticket to get to Osaka as JAL is not obligated to rebook.
Good point. I will book another ticket for the next morning and just cancel it if I make the connection.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Looks like there is a JetStar flight at 745pm. WIll get a throwaway ticket as I would rather make it to ITM that night.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like there is a JetStar flight at 745pm. WIll get a throwaway ticket as I would rather make it to ITM that night.
JetStar departs from T3, which is a 10 minute or so walk from T2 where JAL arrives. The cut off for luggage drop is 30 minutes before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.