Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-Tokyo-Jakarta

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2022, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

JFK-Tokyo-Jakarta

I have a choice of flying JFK-HND or JFK-BOS-Narita. The flight to HND is on a 777 and the flight from Boston to Narita is on a 787. Either would be in business. Seatguru shows the 777 as a 2/3/2 layout while the 787 shows a 2/2/2. Both are listed as seats with 74" of pitch (I am tall at 6'4"). Is one of these a better choice specific to the seat??? Narita would be more convenient due to the connection to Jakarta. I am open to other airlines but a multi city (allowing a stop over for a few days in Tokyo) round trip is pricing at less than $3k which seems very reasonable.

Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2022, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The seats are basically the same.

These days you can't go between HND and NRT as the Japanese borders are still closed. So if your plans are anytime soon, you need to arrive in to Narita to make the connection to Jakarta.
milypan likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

The trip is next March. Presuming the seats are the same we will fly to HND for a couple of nights as it should be cherry blossom season. The flight to Jakarta is out of Narita and the return we can do from Narita to BOS which is easier than transiting to HND. Just wanted to make sure we would not be disappointed in the seats.

Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by flightmedic
The trip is next March. Presuming the seats are the same we will fly to HND for a couple of nights as it should be cherry blossom season. The flight to Jakarta is out of Narita and the return we can do from Narita to BOS which is easier than transiting to HND. Just wanted to make sure we would not be disappointed in the seats.

Thanks
Cherry blossom season in Tokyo/Kyoto is very late March, last week or so. Kyoto usually a bit later than Tokyo.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Presuming the business class seats are the same whether we fly JFK-HND or BOS-NRT am I correct that the BOS-NRT may be more logical? I ask this as my plan is to spend about 3 days in Tokyo but the unknown is when will Japan be open for tourists. If I fly BOS-NRT with the plan to stay for a few days. I'm thinking that it should be easy to change my connection from NRT to Jakarta if we can't stay in Tokyo. My concern is that if I fly JFK-HND and tourism is not allowed, this flight will also not be allowed as I have to transit through NRT to get to Jakarta. So...........are the business seats really the same from BOS vs JFK?? Any downside to booking on Orbitz?? On Orbitz I can do JFK-BOS-NRT-CGK and return CGK-NRT-BOS-JFK. On the JAL website the option of flying through Boston does not come up and calling JAL appears to be a nightmare. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
If you are strictly talking about the US-Japan segment, then yes the seats are the same with a different layout. You can do a dummy booking search on JAL and it will tell you the seat name of the aircraft. Both routes should say “Sky Suite” (as opposed to Sky Suite II or Sky Suite III).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.