Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expiring miles (Best partner availability)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Expiring miles (Best partner availability)

Hey folks, so I went through alot of trouble a couple years to ago to move a good amount of Marriott miles over to JAL in anticipation of the Olympics. Obviously that didn't happen (twice). I don't have any immediate plans to visit Japan and I'm now running up on a deadline to use these mile--and Im have a heck of a time finding partner availability. For instance, I see no AA, LATAM, BA availability on days/routes that have typically been exposed in previous years (JFK/MIA to GRU/GIG). So I have three questions:

- Has anyone had any recent success booking BIZ class awards on AA/LATAM/BA?
- What other partner awards (real...not phantom) would anyone recommend taking advantage. Totally open to QATAR, for instance..
- re: expiring miles. Does a booking keep them from expiring or is an actual flight necessary?

Suggestion appreciated...

Last edited by Oprime; Mar 28, 2022 at 12:24 pm
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I have found a fair bit of Qatar award seats over time. I have not looked recently though.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I have found a fair bit of Qatar award seats over time. I have not looked recently though.
Good to know. Do you know if booking an award stops the clock on expiration or does that actual flight have to happen before JAL miles expire?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Oprime
Good to know. Do you know if booking an award stops the clock on expiration or does that actual flight have to happen before JAL miles expire?
You just have to book before the miles expire. But if you cancel after the miles have expired, then the miles will not be reinstated.
whkento likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You just have to book before the miles expire. But if you cancel after the miles have expired, then the miles will not be reinstated.
Got it. Much obliged.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I have approx 30k expiring JAL miles end of this month, last time I redeemed on JAL back in 2018 I found good value in redeeming on Emirates in F and J.

For what type of awards does JAL still offer good value? I reside in US but travel to UK and UAE frequently, for example UK to DXB is just under 7000 miles in traveling distance, will this require 45k miles in total in coach and 80k in Business? If so that is not such good value, they used to have a much better chart before.

Also is it possible to merge family members accounts to better use miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.