FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   BA to JAL transit at HND - baggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/2067149-ba-jal-transit-hnd-baggage.html)

Voda_boy Jan 30, 2022 1:10 pm

BA to JAL transit at HND - baggage

Hello
I have a flight LHR - HND with BA, then a separate flight HND-BKK with JAL. The flights are on separate PNRs and BA has a very strict policy of not checking through bags if on separate PNRs.
Due to restrictions entering Japan, this may restrict me to hand luggage only, which is far from ideal. Suppose I were to check a bag with BA from LHR to HND, and the bag arrives on the conveyor belt at HND, is there any way that a JAL agent would be able to collect said bag and check it on to the next flight? Or what exactly would happen with the bag?

CPH-Flyer Jan 30, 2022 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Voda_boy (Post 33949011)
Hello
I have a flight LHR - HND with BA, then a separate flight HND-BKK with JAL. The flights are on separate PNRs and BA has a very strict policy of not checking through bags if on separate PNRs.
Due to restrictions entering Japan, this may restrict me to hand luggage only, which is far from ideal. Suppose I were to check a bag with BA from LHR to HND, and the bag arrives on the conveyor belt at HND, is there any way that a JAL agent would be able to collect said bag and check it on to the next flight? Or what exactly would happen with the bag?

BA would very likely refuse to check you in with luggage, as you do not fulfill the criteria to enter Japan.

Your choices are, fly with carry on only, get the flights on a single PNR (BA and JL can be issued together) or switch the LHR to HND flight to a customer friendly airline....

JALPak Jan 30, 2022 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 33949760)
BA would very likely refuse to check you in with luggage, as you do not fulfill the criteria to enter Japan.

Your choices are, fly with carry on only, get the flights on a single PNR (BA and JL can be issued together) or switch the LHR to HND flight to a customer friendly airline....

or just fly JL or an airline that will interline on separate PNRs all the way

CPH-Flyer Jan 30, 2022 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 33949928)
or just fly JL or an airline that will interline on separate PNRs all the way

That's kind of the "switch LHR to HND to a customer friendly airline" lol

Mwenenzi Jan 30, 2022 9:18 pm

Or find a more direct route to Thailand from UK.
Why BA and then JL with avios? In these times that route/ticketing makes it hard (late March 2022 from other posts)

A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

JALPak Jan 30, 2022 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 33950009)
That's kind of the "switch LHR to HND to a customer friendly airline" lol

oh yea lol or just fly via another hub