Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (Ł15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Very disappointing. When and where was this?
Two occurrences to different destinations in the last 2 weeks. One departing from ABZ and the other from LHR at the F check-in desks.

CS have given me incorrect information previously, so I wouldn't rule out them being wrong, but given the lack of anything concrete saying that BA-BA bookings is allowed, I've nothing to present to the agent at check-in to say otherwise.
I can only assume that this is BA policy now
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My BA-BA luggae was interlined at AMS this morning. I had 2 separate PNRs and told the check in agent I was flying through to ORD and she asked me who the 2nd flight was with. When I said BA and showed her my boarding pass, she checked it to ORD....
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by camdentown
Why don't airlines generally sell all fares via other airlines? If I can book it on the web, why can't I also buy it via my airline- at least just so the bookings can be linked. It seems very odd that they seem to sell high priced tickets via other airlines but won't sell normal ones - what difference does it make to them?
This is surely the best argument to use a travel agent for all multi-airline bookings?
They can, providing they have a ticketing interline agreement.

However, an airline can restrict the ticket stock on which a fare may be issued to the ticket stock of a specified carrier. For instance, CX might only allow its cheapest fares to be issued on CX stock. A TA can decide whose ticket paper to use whereas an airline always uses its own paper.

Secondly an airline can control the distribution of its fares. In this case, CX does not actually publish any public fares on BKK-HKG except in the B, Y and J booking classes. They may well have negotiated fares and private fares in the other booking codes, available to select agents or particular customers, or available through their own booking channels, but BA will only see the public tariff.

Finally, BA has a policy of not issuing stand alone tickets containing purely non-BA sectors, except for tickets only containing AA, EI, and IB numbered flights.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Calchas
They can, providing they have a ticketing interline agreement.

However, an airline can restrict the ticket stock on which a fare may be issued to the ticket stock of a specified carrier. For instance, CX might only allow its cheapest fares to be issued on CX stock. A TA can decide whose ticket paper to use whereas an airline always uses its own paper.

Secondly an airline can control the distribution of its fares. In this case, CX does not actually publish any public fares on BKK-HKG except in the B, Y and J booking classes. They may well have negotiated fares and private fares in the other booking codes, available to select agents or particular customers, or available through their own booking channels, but BA will only see the public tariff.

Finally, BA has a policy of not issuing stand alone tickets containing purely non-BA sectors, except for tickets only containing AA, EI, and IB numbered flights.
Many thanks Calchas for the useful information and explanations. I didn't know most of this. It does explain a lot of things I've experienced in the past and found rather odd!
So with the new not-though checking of bags, it seems using travel agent has a number of advantages.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Just as a general query, what is the likelihood that BA will reverse this decision?

Not looking for sarcasm, just factual answers if possible...need to work out whether to pad my connection time in December at KUL.

M
As I was looking at hotels in KUL I remembered this thread. Luckily I have 4 hours connection time for DPS-KUL/KUL-LHR. But it is going to add hassle, had kind of hoped it wasn't also an issue for MH>BA, but seems it is.

Unfortunately QR pricing (ex-LON) for LHR-KUL/DPS-LHR is not appealing vs. Avios + GUF and I'm not keen on cash fares anyway as TPs before November will be wasted.

Irritating...
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
As I was looking at hotels in KUL I remembered this thread. Luckily I have 4 hours connection time for DPS-KUL/KUL-LHR. But it is going to add hassle, had kind of hoped it wasn't also an issue for MH>BA, but seems it is.

Unfortunately QR pricing (ex-LON) for LHR-KUL/DPS-LHR is not appealing vs. Avios + GUF and I'm not keen on cash fares anyway as TPs before November will be wasted.

Irritating...
As mentioned in earlier posts it's not a problem for MH>BA. I've recently flown both SIN>KUL>LHR and CGK>KUL>LHR with MH for the first sector and BA for the second with the bags interlined no problem.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
This is MH's check through policy which says MH to OneWorld on separate tickets is ok. Whether they follow the policy, YMMV.

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/e...n/counter.html
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

Irritating...
I'm flying LHR-KUL-SGN-REP.

I have 110mins between landing at KUL and departing, albeit arriving on BA and departing with MH. Obviously, at the time of booking, I wasn't concerned.

However now, I'm investigating into a VIP Service who will rush me through all the complicated and potentially slow bits of the transfer!

M
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by rjn21
This is MH's check through policy which says MH to OneWorld on separate tickets is ok. Whether they follow the policy, YMMV.

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/e...n/counter.html
Thanks to jonrross and rjn21, seems the other examples of MH not doing this in the MH forum are inaccurate. Great to have the definitive MH statement
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Just adding another data point, this reported from my partner who flew BA in F from JFK-LHR then onwards on BA on a separate PNR: the agent at the check-in counter was unable to check his bag all the way through, but he was sent to another desk where it was done. He was happy, as it meant less schlepping and more CCR time.

So BA-BA can be done at JFK, just not everyone there is currently capable of doing it.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC SILVER
Pleased to report interlining of bags today at MCO.
Ex Dub ticket booked through AA MCO-JFK (BA)-LHR the DUB flight scheduled for March next yr. LHR-NCL booked with avois. Lovely lady at MCO had no problem interlining bags on separate PNR's.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by verian
Pleased to report interlining of bags today at MCO.
Ex Dub ticket booked through AA MCO-JFK (BA)-LHR the DUB flight scheduled for March next yr. LHR-NCL booked with avois. Lovely lady at MCO had no problem interlining bags on separate PNR's.
Exactly as it should be . AA hasn't changed its policy - it's BA that has.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
My wife and I booked a separate EDI-LHR to connect to our LHR-SAN, both of which were prior to this "enhancement." All BA metal. Anyone have a data point for this out if EDI?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Anyone have any experience of this at NCE? Will be flying out of there tomorrow morning before connecting to GIG on a separate booking.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
QR Staff in DXB very obliging in checking through baggage without question from DXB-DOH-BRU-LHR with the final leg from BRU-LHR being separately ticketed on BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.