BA to JAL transit at HND - baggage

Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

BA to JAL transit at HND - baggage

Hello
I have a flight LHR - HND with BA, then a separate flight HND-BKK with JAL. The flights are on separate PNRs and BA has a very strict policy of not checking through bags if on separate PNRs.
Due to restrictions entering Japan, this may restrict me to hand luggage only, which is far from ideal. Suppose I were to check a bag with BA from LHR to HND, and the bag arrives on the conveyor belt at HND, is there any way that a JAL agent would be able to collect said bag and check it on to the next flight? Or what exactly would happen with the bag?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Voda_boy
Hello
I have a flight LHR - HND with BA, then a separate flight HND-BKK with JAL. The flights are on separate PNRs and BA has a very strict policy of not checking through bags if on separate PNRs.
Due to restrictions entering Japan, this may restrict me to hand luggage only, which is far from ideal. Suppose I were to check a bag with BA from LHR to HND, and the bag arrives on the conveyor belt at HND, is there any way that a JAL agent would be able to collect said bag and check it on to the next flight? Or what exactly would happen with the bag?
BA would very likely refuse to check you in with luggage, as you do not fulfill the criteria to enter Japan.

Your choices are, fly with carry on only, get the flights on a single PNR (BA and JL can be issued together) or switch the LHR to HND flight to a customer friendly airline....
Voda_boy likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 8:27 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
BA would very likely refuse to check you in with luggage, as you do not fulfill the criteria to enter Japan.

Your choices are, fly with carry on only, get the flights on a single PNR (BA and JL can be issued together) or switch the LHR to HND flight to a customer friendly airline....
or just fly JL or an airline that will interline on separate PNRs all the way
Voda_boy likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
or just fly JL or an airline that will interline on separate PNRs all the way
That's kind of the "switch LHR to HND to a customer friendly airline" lol
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or find a more direct route to Thailand from UK.
Why BA and then JL with avios? In these times that route/ticketing makes it hard (late March 2022 from other posts)

A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:04 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That's kind of the "switch LHR to HND to a customer friendly airline" lol
oh yea lol or just fly via another hub

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.