Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL BKK to HND Seat Selection in J / Biz - Row 1 and 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:10 am
Original Poster

As noted elsewhere in forum, JAL operates a 3 class aircraft between BKK - HND - BKK but it puts J passengers in the F cabin / F seats in Row 1 and Row 2.
But sometimes, after a ticket is booked, the website does not allow those Row 1 and Row 2 seats to be selected, even though the website shows them empty if doing a new booking.
Any hints or insights on selecting those? Tried calling but long wait times.
PS: FWIW it is an AS award ticket.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by thaitraveller
As noted elsewhere in forum, JAL operates a 3 class aircraft between BKK - HND - BKK but it puts J passengers in the F cabin / F seats in Row 1 and Row 2.
But sometimes, after a ticket is booked, the website does not allow those Row 1 and Row 2 seats to be selected, even though the website shows them empty if doing a new booking.
Maybe because they expect to change the aircraft assignment?
Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Good thought. They allow seat selection in other rows... I think this aircraft is pretty consistent on this round so I understand.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Good thought. They allow seat selection in other rows... I think this aircraft is pretty consistent on this round so I understand.
It is the regular aircraft, but the fact that only this section is not available for a selected flight and only for that small section does make it quite possible that there will be an aircraft change.

Other options could be that they have VIPs that they need the seats for, or that they don't expect to need space. Though the last one would be a change from how it has been managed so far.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Interesting that the website would allow u to select if u purchase a new ticket.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
I assume you're referring to the 77W, which actually is a 4-class aircraft (F/J/PE/Y).
Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Do you have to be OWE maybe? I did select those seats (row 2 I think) on BKK-HND but not sure if it's restricted or not. Row 5 in business class does seem to have a OWE restriction for advance selection.

Try the JL call center, they can override seat selection restrictions sometimes.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

I thought about that. I am OWE Ruby. Tried to add the flight to my JAL account but their website is baffling. Very dial up 2001.
I do note it is actually a 4 class aircraft also!
Will try calling. Very limited calling hours with JAL. Now do you call the Thai center or back to the USA.... hmmmm.
I note that JAL does not take Twitter message.
Time to break this out and reread.
Amazon Amazon
Old Jan 15, 2022, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought about that. I am OWE Ruby. Tried to add the flight to my JAL account but their website is baffling. Very dial up 2001.
Will try calling. Very limited calling hours with JAL. Now do you call the Thai center or back to the USA.... hmmmm.
https://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Demons-T.../dp/0809039435
If it is just a status issue, then Ruby will not get you anywhere. Calling will not help in that case, as JAL is not going to override it. You may be lucky that they are available at on line check in, or if you ask at the check-in counter at the airport.

I was a bit confused when you said "sometimes the seats are not available for selection", if you can select on some flights, but not others, then a number of reasons I was trying to guess above. If you can't select on any flights, then just a matter of not having the frequent status or booking class required to pick those seats.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond

I booked F on JFK-HND and J on HND-JFK for the summer with both flights on the 777-300 (hoping Japan will reopen to tourists by then). On the return flight, I tried selecting a seat in the front J mini cabin and was told that JAL holds the seats in the mini cabin and the first row or two in the larger cabin for those with JAL status.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
https://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Demons-T.../dp/0809039435
OWE stands for OneWorld Emerald. : D It's the highest status level in the alliance. It goes Ruby (as you state you have), Sapphire, which is the status with business lounge access, and then Emerald which gets First lounges and on JL opens restricted seating.

Originally Posted by xjaehyun
I booked F on JFK-HND and J on HND-JFK for the summer with both flights on the 777-300 (hoping Japan will reopen to tourists by then). On the return flight, I tried selecting a seat in the front J mini cabin and was told that JAL holds the seats in the mini cabin and the first row or two in the larger cabin for those with JAL status.
It's not only JL status members, I'm AA Executive Platinum which is OneWorld Emerald and I can select any of the restricted seats, both domestic and international (assuming I've paid for the class of service). I can also call in to the call center and get a non-status companion moved into restricted seats with me even if on a different reservation (again assuming they have also paid for the class of service). JL treats OWE quite similarly to their own Diamonds in many aspects.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.