Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Flying on JAL 11 and unable to preselect seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios

Hello, I am flying in O inventory cash ticket in economy. JAL says AA has control over seatmap as the ticket stock is AA but AA says they cannot issue seats. Is there any workaround for this?? I have looked at the wiki and there did not appear too be any solutions there.AA says I should be able to select seats 24 hours before check in but I would hate to be stuck in middle row. I am AA platinum if that helps??
Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
See if AA will give you JL’s record locator code, and then go to JL’s web site, find your trip, and select seats.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tai4de2
See if AA will give you JL’s record locator code, and then go to JL’s web site, find your trip, and select seats.
Thanks, I have the JAL locator but cannot choose as JAL says they cannot issue seats once AA is the carrier. I did HUCA so I think getting the seats JAL is a nonstarter and AA says they cannot even see the seatmap??
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
If you are booked on a JL flight number, O does not allow for advance seat selection. If you are on an AA flight number, I am not sure what the rules are.
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 9:54 pm
mjm
Original Member

If in business class, call JAL (it cannot be done online with your ticket) and give them the JAL locator. They will offer you row 8 or 9 now and you can change it from 24 hours prior to departure.
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses .I am in economy. I guess I will have to wait .The funny thing is I would happily pay for 2 seats if I could. The weird thing is that JAL says only AA can issue seats and AA says they cannot even pull up the seatmap. So I guess I will check back in 24 hours before flight and I will see what is left.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tilto007
Thanks for the responses .I am in economy. I guess I will have to wait .The funny thing is I would happily pay for 2 seats if I could. The weird thing is that JAL says only AA can issue seats and AA says they cannot even pull up the seatmap. So I guess I will check back in 24 hours before flight and I will see what is left.
The point that is not entirely clear to me, are you booked on the JL flight number, or AA codeshare?

AA codeshare has always been a bit of a drag. If JL, the cheapest fares just don't allow for advance selection. These days, the flights are quite empty so getting a decent seat is not that difficult.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The point that is not entirely clear to me, are you booked on the JL flight number, or AA codeshare?

AA codeshare has always been a bit of a drag. If JL, the cheapest fares just don't allow for advance selection. These days, the flights are quite empty so getting a decent seat is not that difficult.

We are booked on AA codeshare, The flight is in the middle of March so could conceivable full up??
Old Nov 6, 2021, 5:53 am
mjm
Original Member

We are booked on AA codeshare, The flight is in the middle of March so could conceivable full up??
It will be nearly empty is the safe bet. You can start to worry when they boost it up to daily. As is, not a problem.
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 4:51 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
It could if Japan opens up to tourists and lift the daily quota
Old Nov 6, 2021, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA codeshare has always been a challenge. Some rumours of success by getting the JAL record locator from AA and then contacting JAL. Personally, I have never been able to assign seats on AA codeshare if the TA did not assign them at booking.

Mid March and a couple of weeks could be busy as Japanese companies tend to rotate their expats for fiscal year end. But as mentioned with the present arrival caps, the flights are unlikely to fill up.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
I have the same problem with an AA codeshare on JAL (economy - S fare). AA CS can't see the seatmap. JAL website says it cannot even find any reservation with that reservation number. So, I called in. After waiting for 30 minutes, they finally answered and said that I can't reserve a seat in advance on a codeshare. He wasn't sure I'd be able to do so at online check-in either.

It's ridiculous that, in 2022, JAL's IT can't figure out a way to let people choose a seat.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 3:17 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by BigE
I have the same problem with an AA codeshare on JAL (economy - S fare). AA CS can't see the seatmap. JAL website says it cannot even find any reservation with that reservation number. So, I called in. After waiting for 30 minutes, they finally answered and said that I can't reserve a seat in advance on a codeshare. He wasn't sure I'd be able to do so at online check-in either.

It's ridiculous that, in 2022, JAL's IT can't figure out a way to let people choose a seat.
JAL didn't sell you the ticket. It is AA who needs to handle your request before check-in opens up. Once it's within AA's check-in window, you will be able to complete the check-in process via aa.com.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JALPak
JAL didn't sell you the ticket.
That's not a legit excuse. This problem doesn't exist with any other major carrier that I've flown in the past five years. Have within the past three months flown AA coded flights on BA and UA coded flights on LX, and no such problem.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:51 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not a legit excuse. This problem doesn't exist with any other major carrier that I've flown in the past five years. Have within the past three months flown AA coded flights on BA and UA coded flights on LX, and no such problem.
Exactly. E.g. for UA-marketed, NH-operated flights, both UA and NH can perform seat assignments, even on the lowest fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.