Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL to start selling extra legroom seats in Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:25 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

https://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/202011/005849.html
Details of Optional Fee-Based Seat Selection Service
  1. Start Date
    November 10 (16:30 Japan Standard Time)
  2. Eligible Ticket
    JAL International Ticket (Ticket numbers starting with 131)
  3. Applicable Route
    International flights operated by JAL and departing on/after December 3
    (Excluding routes to/from Canada - planned to be offered once relevant approvals are received)
  4. Applicable Class of Travel
    Economy Class
  5. Fees (Per Passenger/Per Segment - excluding infants traveling without a seat)
    Note: For flights departing outside of Japan, specific amounts in the local currency will apply.

Flights from Japan to North America, Europe, Hawaii, Australia and India: JPY10,000
    Flights from Japan to South East Asia: JPY6,000
    Flights from Japan to East Asia, Guam, Manila, Vladivostok: JPY4,000

FLY ON members and oneworld elites will still be able to get these seats for free, so will those who are booked under the Y fare bucket but it is not clear whether elite's travel companion will be able to get these seats for free. In order to qualify for this fee based selection, your original fare will need to be eligible for advanced seat selection.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
it is not clear whether elite's travel companion will be able to get these seats for free.
The PR in Japanese says 1 companion of an elite can select these seats for free:

JMBダイヤモンド・JGCプレミア・JMBサファイア・JMBクリスタル会員・JALグローバルクラブ会 員・ワンワールドステイタス会員のお客さま、およびその同行者さま(1名)は、現行どおり無料でご指定いた だけるため、ご購入は不要です。
https://press.jal.co.jp/ja/release/202011/005848.html
Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kentauta
The PR in Japanese says 1 companion of an elite can select these seats for free:

Ah good to know.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I wonder if this portends a future shrinkage for the regular economy cabin pitch?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Unhappy

Originally Posted by kentauta

Originally Posted by JALPak
Ah good to know.
very strange... while the Japanese version does include the “+1 companion of the status holder” , the English does not, which one is right? I’m trying to book an exit row for my companion on the same reservation and was told to pay when I called in the US reservation line.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by flyer89
very strange... while the Japanese version does include the “+1 companion of the status holder” , the English does not, which one is right? I’m trying to book an exit row for my companion on the same reservation and was told to pay when I called in the US reservation line.
Normally, I would expect the Japanese version to the most accurate one. Though see. S here the system is backing the English version up. Unless you are trying to pick a seat that is not free to your status level?
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Normally, I would expect the Japanese version to the most accurate one. Though see. S here the system is backing the English version up. Unless you are trying to pick a seat that is not free to your status level?
Actually no, the weird thing, when I go into the reservation to pick the seat, under my name, this snippet shows up, which seem to backed the Japanese version. However, when I called in the JAL US call center to request the exit row for my companion, on the same reservation, same flights, I was told that there would be a charge for my companion. I'm OWE so the status is correct.

Old Jan 2, 2021, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Maybe they did not actually check the system, and just told you what they thought was correct.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 8:29 pm

Yeah, maybe I'll just give them a call on Monday. I would expect Japan Airlines to know their own rules quite well... since it's a cultural thing and that's why I love visiting Japan so much and can't wait to go there in May (wishing the border would be open by then...)
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer89
Yeah, maybe I'll just give them a call on Monday. I would expect Japan Airlines to know their own rules quite well... since it's a cultural thing and that's why I love visiting Japan so much and can't wait to go there in May (wishing the border would be open by then...)
Normally they would know pretty well, but I'd expect that to be more the case for the Japan call centers than the US ones.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA, JAL, Delta
Is paid extra legroom available on an award ticket in economy?

According to the JAL website a paid extra legroom seat is available (if seat open of course) on the following booking class on a JAL issue ticket starting with 131:Passengers who have reservation with below booking class : Economy class (B/H/K/M/L/V/S/Q/N/O/T)
What is the booking code for an award ticket booked in economy with JAL mileage? In other words, can we pay for extra legroom on an economy award ticket?
Many thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrengland
According to the JAL website a paid extra legroom seat is available (if seat open of course) on the following booking class on a JAL issue ticket starting with 131:Passengers who have reservation with below booking class : Economy class (B/H/K/M/L/V/S/Q/N/O/T)
What is the booking code for an award ticket booked in economy with JAL mileage? In other words, can we pay for extra legroom on an economy award ticket?
Many thanks.
I have never booked an economy award, but the mentioned booking classes are all revenue. JAL should be following the Oneworld standard, making economy class awards booking class X.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I have never booked an economy award, but the mentioned booking classes are all revenue. JAL should be following the Oneworld standard, making economy class awards booking class X.
X is discounted business class
Old Feb 27, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: BA, JAL, Delta
If the listed booking classes (B/H/K/M/L/V/S/Q/N/O/T) are indeed all revenue then I suppose that means award tickets are not eligible for paid extra legroom seats.
Thanks for the reply!
Old Feb 27, 2021, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrengland
If the listed booking classes (B/H/K/M/L/V/S/Q/N/O/T) are indeed all revenue then I suppose that means award tickets are not eligible for paid extra legroom seats.
Thanks for the reply!
Double check what booking class T is first

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.