Wiki Posts
Search

Question about HND overnight

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2020, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton
Question about HND overnight

I am thinking about booking a JAL ticket US - HND - CHINA, assuming JAL's schedule resumes to some form of normality. The challenge is the US to HND flight will land in the afternoon and we still need to stay in HND overnight when the connecting flight to China resumes. So my question is can international passenger stays in HND international terminal overnight? Is there a transit hotel without leaving customs and border control? We stayed in a HND transit hotel before. But that hotel is in the check in area if I remember correctly.
Old May 31, 2020, 2:48 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gogomustangs
I am thinking about booking a JAL ticket US - HND - CHINA, assuming JAL's schedule resumes to some form of normality. The challenge is the US to HND flight will land in the afternoon and we still need to stay in HND overnight when the connecting flight to China resumes. So my question is can international passenger stays in HND international terminal overnight? Is there a transit hotel without leaving customs and border control? We stayed in a HND transit hotel before. But that hotel is in the check in area if I remember correctly.
There is a transit hotel, The Royal Park, at HND but their rooms in the departure/transit area are closed until June 30. Some of their rooms are in the transit area while others are in the public area (outside customs and border control).
Old May 31, 2020, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Even if the transit hotel is not open air side, you can still stay at the terminal overnight, it is open 24/7. During the state of emergency, the food options were rather limited, but I am guessing now that it might start ease a bit.
Old May 31, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gogomustangs
I am assuming this is post the Japan restrictions lifting. As of now, you are not allowed to stay in Japan overnight, you must transit the same day without "entering" Japan, even once JL publishes a more robust China schedule.
Old May 31, 2020, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by porphyra
I am assuming this is post the Japan restrictions lifting. As of now, you are not allowed to stay in Japan overnight, you must transit the same day without "entering" Japan, even once JL publishes a more robust China schedule.
Do you have a link for that? I have seen nothing that would prevent you from staying airside overnight in Haneda. Narita is a problem, as the terminal closes overnight, and an overnight connection would not be allowed. But for Haneda we are discussing here, I have not seen, read, or heard anything that would indicate that an overnight transit will not be allowed.
Old May 31, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Do you have a link for that? I have seen nothing that would prevent you from staying airside overnight in Haneda. Narita is a problem, as the terminal closes overnight, and an overnight connection would not be allowed. But for Haneda we are discussing here, I have not seen, read, or heard anything that would indicate that an overnight transit will not be allowed.
Sorry you are correct. I assume OP wanted to stay at a hotel or otherwise that would require a trip outside the secure area. I haven't seen any notice to indicate this isn't allowed nor have I seen any anecdotes of whether people are successfully able to stay overnight, or not, for that matter.

Sounds like a very long and uncomfortable layover but doable for the OP. NRT is definitely out of the question.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Hi - I'd like to revive this thread for a related question. I am looking at a booking that potentially has a 6-hour layover in HND, and I wanted to see if anyone knows the current situation with transiting through Japan. I would originate in SE Asia and final destination would be USA. From what I read online right now, I definitely can't "enter" Japan, but is sterile transit still allowed if one is not connected to Japan (citizen, permanent resident, etc.)? Hoping so, because the only alternative will be DPS>DOH>IAD, because it seems Qatar does allow sterile transit. Thank you.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matthew_DC
Hi - I'd like to revive this thread for a related question. I am looking at a booking that potentially has a 6-hour layover in HND, and I wanted to see if anyone knows the current situation with transiting through Japan. I would originate in SE Asia and final destination would be USA. From what I read online right now, I definitely can't "enter" Japan, but is sterile transit still allowed if one is not connected to Japan (citizen, permanent resident, etc.)? Hoping so, because the only alternative will be DPS>DOH>IAD, because it seems Qatar does allow sterile transit. Thank you.
Japan does still allow for airside transit. No overnight transit in Narita, no changing of airports between Haneda and Narita. Also, passengers should not cut their transit very close, as inbound testing procedures for people entering Japan can hold up disembarkation. Though I have not heard of an actual case. (just generally speaking, not calling 6 hours cutting it close)
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Thank you very much, CPH-Flyer.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: United 1P
Has anyone done overnight connection at HND lately? A friend of mine was thinking about booking LAX-HND-TPE on JAL with overnight connection at HND. To be safe, she called JAL customer support first to see if this doable. Somehow the customer support told her that this was not allowed, and that she would be denied when checking in at LAX. She didn't ask the reason as she just assumed the customer support should know well. I don't see the reason why this won't work as I cannot find any rule published by Japanese government to disallow this during the pandemic. Maybe my friend just happened to talk to an inexperienced customer support? I'd like to find out anyone who have done such connection recently.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not seen anything that would block it from the government regulations as long as it is within 24 hours. Airlines are getting more cautious on separate tickets, so that could be a driver if this is a split ticket.

​​​​​​I might try to see what a second agent says, and be sure ask with specific flight information, JL15 to JLXX on specific dates. The more specific the question, the more specific the answer.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 10:02 am

The Transit Hotel (airside) in Haneda appears to be closed. Anyone has a clue on when it is likely to reopen?

JL is really timing its international connections quite poorly in times of COVID, especially for northeast asian cities to USA via Tokyo.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ma930407
The Transit Hotel (airside) in Haneda appears to be closed. Anyone has a clue on when it is likely to reopen?

JL is really timing its international connections quite poorly in times of COVID, especially for northeast asian cities to USA via Tokyo.
I doubt the transit hotel will reopen until traffic starts to rebound in a real way. Easily in to April May timing before it reopens would be my guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.