Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Special Meal Request in Business Class Same Quality as Regular?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

My wife and I are traveling to and from Japan from Los Angeles in Business Class on JAL next month. We both have special meal requirements and are wondering if we order special meals will we be getting "business class quality" meals with the same level of amenities and preparation as we would get from selecting from available choices in business class...or if we order a special meal if we'll end up getting the same kind of special meal that would be served in economy classes?

Anyone have any experience ordering special meals in business class on JAL that could provide any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: JAL, KrisFlyer
I've only had the special meals in economy, but JAL's were the only ones that weren't absolute garbage (I'm looking at you, United). They're usually outstanding, IMO. I would assume the ones in BC are excellent.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DillPickles
I've only had the special meals in economy, but JAL's were the only ones that weren't absolute garbage (I'm looking at you, United). They're usually outstanding, IMO. I would assume the ones in BC are excellent.
Thanks DillPickles! (Now I need a pickle...) I expect the food to be generally good but am excited about the possibility of BC level food / service even if selecting a special meal. Fingers crossed!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:31 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
What kind of special meal? You may be disappointed with vegetarian tho, a recent trip report (LAX-KIX) has only the following with VLML type

These are the main meal.

That's it.

Second Meal

Basically all cold dishes, the economy ones seem better based on google search.

I don't think Japanese carriers caters to vegetarian meals well, even NH F offering looks bland. You'll still get good service but FA can't do much with whatever is catered. If the food disappoints, you can always order additional light snacks but be mindful they may not fit your dietary criteria. Check the regular menu online too.
DDurm likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the photos. Were this the business class vegetarian meals?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:48 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by rickpoet
Thanks for the photos. Were this the business class vegetarian meals?
I think that's the special meal: western vegetarian that you call to reserve.

There should also be an option in the regular menu that's vegetarian, but that would be limited to just the main course and one light snack.
rickpoet likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
The regular Biz menu also uses terms like "Suitable for 'light vegetarian'..." so take it with a grain of salt. I've had the special dietary meals in Y and it's been a crapshot. I remember one time for a "snack" I was given a small roast beef sandwich and I remember feeling all the surrounding eyes glaring at me for the hefty sandwich I got. However, on another occasion I was just given a single banana.
rickpoet and flyingislove like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:29 am

For F JFK-Tokyo RT, would you order vegetarian special meals or just use the regular menu, hoping it has enough vegetarian items?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by richarddd
For F JFK-Tokyo RT, would you order vegetarian special meals or just use the regular menu, hoping it has enough vegetarian items?
There's shouldn't be any hoping involved. Full menus are available in advance of your flight, if there aren't enough items of interest to you, then you can request a special meal.

I do find that the quality of the regular meals greatly exceed the quality of special meals in JAL's premium cabins.
rickpoet and richarddd like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks Beltway2a...that last sentence is the basic info I was looking for here.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
There's shouldn't be any hoping involved. Full menus are available in advance of your flight, if there aren't enough items of interest to you, then you can request a special meal.

I do find that the quality of the regular meals greatly exceed the quality of special meals in JAL's premium cabins.
Will they let you pick and choose items from different parts of the menu?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Will they let you pick and choose items from different parts of the menu?
They're normally pretty good about that, from my experiences, as long as they have the food readily available and not in short supply.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:36 pm

Any recent experiences with first class vegetarian meals?

From JFK-NRT ordering from the regular menu was fine, since they had a nice pasta and a vegetarian noodle dish. However, from HND-JFK the menu seems to have only one dish, a hummus light meal, and no vegetarian noodle dish. Am I misreading https://www.jal.co.jp/inter/service/...912_202002.pdf ?

If I order the special vegetarian meal, can I order something from the regular menu?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Unfortunately, I completely agree. There were sufficient vegetarian items on the regular menu JFK-NRT in F and the quality was perfectly acceptable. I ordered the vegetarian special meal HND-JFK in F and it was underwhelming, at best. I asked the FA for an item from the regular menu (both orally and pointing to the menu) and she giggled, but then did not bring the item.

We just finished lunch service, so perhaps the next meal will be better.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Unfortunately, I completely agree. There were sufficient vegetarian items on the regular menu JFK-NRT in F and the quality was perfectly acceptable. I ordered the vegetarian special meal HND-JFK in F and it was underwhelming, at best. I asked the FA for an item from the regular menu (both orally and pointing to the menu) and she giggled, but then did not bring the item.

We just finished lunch service, so perhaps the next meal will be better.
I have seen in both JAL and ANA tha the flight attendants are pretty strict on not serving anything that does not live up to the requirements of the special meal you ordered. I once sat next to a lady in Y that had ordered a vegan meal, and when they came with the HD ice cream, she asked if she could have one, and it was a flat out "No it is not vegan, the dessert is already on your tray"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.