Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

The first female captain at a commercial airline in Jaoan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

An inspiring story, and a bit scary story that Japan still has a long way to go for females in the work place.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...ain/index.html
AlwaysAisle and bakaneko85 like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I remember reading about this when she became first female captain in Japanese commercial aviation. It is so true that Japan is so behind when it comes to place of female at workplace, that is one thing I get frustrated when coming to Japan for work.

Currently there are about 5000 pilots working in Japanese airlines, out of it about 50 are female and there are only 5 female captain in Japanese commercial aviation. Recently there were speaking engagement in Tokyo for women interested in career in aviation, guest speakers included female captains of Delta and United who fly frequently to Japan.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I applaud her for going it all the way. And hopefully she can be a trail blazer for more to follow, but I agree that the Japanese work environment still has very far to go. And while she has helped women getting a toe in the door, looking at the numbers, the foot in the door, and being welcomed inside is still pretty far off.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Holy crap! If she is the only one than I rode on one of her flights this week. It was either between Fukaoka and HND or between Fukaoka and Sapporo. I remember thinking to myself when she did the announcement that it was the first time I could recall ever hearing a female JAL pilot ever. I thought maybe it was just a quirk of timing I hadn't had one until now, kinda sad to see it's for worse reasons :/
Old May 10, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
It's great for her. Too bad that while gender can be overcome, physical disabilities like shortsightedness cannot....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.