Wiki Posts
Search

No PNR on codeshare?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
No PNR on codeshare?

I just had a strange, and first for me, incident. I booked a codeshare (AA marketed, JL operated) flight for next year. I called AA to get the JL PNR, but the agent said there was only what we could surmise is a placeholder because it is 5 digits long (PNR is always 6 digit alpha numeric). Has anyone else ever encountered this? Could it be that I just need to wait for JL to assign a PNR?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: Enrich
You mean your AA PNR is 5 digit instead of 6 digit?

Generally, the PNR you got from AA booking/reservation is recognizable by JL system. There is no need to ask for JL specific PNR.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
And if you want to use the PNR to assign seats, that is basically not possible for an AA codeshare on JL metal. They have not fixed that quirk yet. And by they, I do mean the combined effort of AA and JL to make the systems communicate.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:42 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
And if you want to use the PNR to assign seats, that is basically not possible for an AA codeshare on JL metal. They have not fixed that quirk yet. And by they, I do mean the combined effort of AA and JL to make the systems communicate.
You sure it's a quirk and not a feature?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
I want the JL PNR so I can check in online with them/have it in case a JL agent asks for it at the airport. I know seat assignment is done through the marketing airline.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
You sure it's a quirk and not a feature?
Long standing quirk?

Originally Posted by sidthesquid
I want the JL PNR so I can check in online with them/have it in case a JL agent asks for it at the airport. I know seat assignment is done through the marketing airline.
JAL never seems to ask for the PNR. For OLCI, I think you need to start from the AA site, that will then direct you to JAL
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by sidthesquid
(PNR is always 6 digit alpha numeric)
Some systems do actually generate only 5 digit references, but not Amadeus, which JL are now in.

Could it be that I just need to wait for JL to assign a PNR?
There should be one already, or the AA PNR should update to show the JL operated flights as unconfirmed.

Try calling JL, giving them your AA ticket number, and asking them to find your JL operating PNR.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
2 ways.
1. try finding the JAL PNR on the AA ticket receipt here. should be written there. . https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

2. Actually, there's a much easier way to do this. Take your AA confirmation code to the Qantas manage booking site. Input your PNR and last name there to look up the booking. Once it pulls up, the Qantas site will show a different booking # at the top of the page. THIS is your JAL PNR. Grab that and pop it into JAL's manage booking site. not 100%, but it should work.
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by Tokyoite; Apr 12, 2019 at 11:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.