Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award pricing way out of sync with chart

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Award pricing way out of sync with chart

Hey all, I'm trying to book J from NRT/HND to JFK, and while it is giving me availability, the pricing is seriously out of whack with the award chart. It should be 50k, but I'm seeing 153k from NRT, and 160 from HND. Any thoughts on what might be going on here? Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:15 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jzaczyk
Hey all, I'm trying to book J from NRT/HND to JFK, and while it is giving me availability, the pricing is seriously out of whack with the award chart. It should be 50k, but I'm seeing 153k from NRT, and 160 from HND. Any thoughts on what might be going on here? Thanks!
flex award
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:44 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jzaczyk
Welcome to the JAL forum.

Unfortunately this is not a bug. JAL has implemented dynamic award pricing for Y, P, and C awards.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jmb/award_renewal/
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Welcome to the world of dynamic award pricing.
hope you haven’t already transferred any of your points currencies to JMB.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Welcome to dynamic award pricing. I recently looked for business class availability to DFW in October. The required mileage amounts were horrific.They ranged from 178,000 to 226,000 miles -- one way!!

J​​​​ust another reason not to be loyal to JAL (or any airline for that matter). Lately I just book whichever airline best meets my needs for each individual trip. My next two family trips (four of us in paid J and PE) will be on ANA. In years past, I was a die-hard JAL loyalist. No more.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Welcome to dynamic award pricing. I recently looked for business class availability to DFW in October. The required mileage amounts were horrific.They ranged from 178,000 to 226,000 miles -- one way!!

J​​​​ust another reason not to be loyal to JAL (or any airline for that matter). Lately I just book whichever airline best meets my needs for each individual trip. My next two family trips (four of us in paid J and PE) will be on ANA. In years past, I was a die-hard JAL loyalist. No more.
My main spends have been JAL F upgrades, JAL F flights, and partner flights. Which are all still pretty good value with JMB. So I still see good reason to stick to JMB
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Plan early, book early, and you will be ok.
JAL is of course trying to lose the stigma of "no award space available when you need to use miles" by doing dynamic award pricing.
Just look at those dates with "horrendous mileage price" as dates that are technically not available with miles, but JAL is giving you an opportunity to still use miles if you MUST use miles to travel. It is an allure.
So, plan early, book early, when the mileage is still low/reasonable, and you will be ok.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:18 pm

Is there a dramatic change recently?

I remember one month ago check Alaska website YVR-NRT J is available nearly every day, now it's all gone till the schedule ends with none left

check other routes NRT-SEA NRT-LAX is same thing

Originally Posted by JALPak
Welcome to the JAL forum.

Unfortunately this is not a bug. JAL has implemented dynamic award pricing for Y, P, and C awards.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jmb/award_renewal/
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ecgz88
Is there a dramatic change recently?

I remember one month ago check Alaska website YVR-NRT J is available nearly every day, now it's all gone till the schedule ends with none left

check other routes NRT-SEA NRT-LAX is same thing
Apart from newly opened routes, or routes that gets F added, finding premium cabin availability nearly every day is almost certainly a mistake in the system or a sudden spike that is like to disappear again.

You did not look at Seattle just when it was released? That would have had a boom of availability, but once booked it would follow the more normal availability.
ecgz88 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.