Search

Airport upgrade award on AA codeshare?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:40 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Airport upgrade award on AA codeshare?

I’m considering using the Airport Upgrade for an upcoming flight (https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/jal_up_today.html#info). That page notes only that the upgrade is valid on “JAL international flights” and that “codeshare flights operated by partner flights” are excluded.

However, are AA- or other partner-coded flights on JL metal eligible? The page above specifies that “For other conditions of use, JMB JAL International Upgrade Awards Rules will apply“ which would imply no, but this conflicts with the rule above.

Please share if you have any experience with this sort of situation.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:47 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by armagebedar
I’m considering using the Airport Upgrade for an upcoming flight (https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/jal_up_today.html#info). That page notes only that the upgrade is valid on “JAL international flights” and that “codeshare flights operated by partner flights” are excluded.

However, are AA- or other partner-coded flights on JL metal eligible? The page above specifies that “For other conditions of use, JMB JAL International Upgrade Awards Rules will apply“ which would imply no, but this conflicts with the rule above.

Please share if you have any experience with this sort of situation.
you can only upgrade JL codes flights with miles. The only way to upgrade AA codes flights is same day Y to PY cash upgrade.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Have you actually tried to do this on a codeshare flight and been turned down?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:48 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Thanks for the reply. Have you actually tried to do this on a codeshare flight and been turned down?
the T&C has clearly excluded AA coded flights. Look at the bottom of the page, standard upgrade T&C also applies to airport upgrade.

Upgrade awards are not available on codeshare flights operated by other airlines or on codeshare flights operated by JAL but bearing a flight number of another airline.
JL staffs are well aware of this

Mileage upgrade for AA coded JL flights?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, but I’m aware of what the rules say, and in my opinion they are ambiguous on this matter.

I’d prefer to hear from someone who has actually tried this (the airport upgrade on the day of departure, not one in advance).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thanks, but I’m aware of what the rules say, and in my opinion they are ambiguous on this matter.

I’d prefer to hear from someone who has actually tried this (the airport upgrade on the day of departure, not one in advance).
The rules are absolutely clear, I do wonder where you see the ambiguity...

I have not tried with an AA codeshare, but the flow is always that they will check your booking, and see if it meet the requirements. I can't imagine that a JAL staff member will come to a different conclusion than the written rules. But please try, and report back on what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.