Search

Narita Airport Lounge Closure

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:04 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

such sadness.
So no problem entering, even though quite busy, but jesus, you can’t custom make the sushi combo anymore!

First they take away the unlimited sushi (3 max so had to line up every time), which is maybe not unreasonable, but now they take away the custom combo? Come on guys. That’s going to create so much waste - I like salmon and tuna, but I don’t really eat egg, so that’s going straight into the garbage. what the.

[edit] visually indicating the problem with this arrangement. and i was lucky because it’s tuna and salmon today ... i don’t even really enjoy squid, so the day it’s tuna, squid and egg. i basically will throw out 66%

i guess that means i’ll eat less, which is probably the intent here. but i really like their sushi!!
are you sure you cannot just tell them no egg and get the rest of the combo as is?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak

are you sure you cannot just tell them no egg and get the rest of the combo as is?
Allergies....
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Allergies....
exactly
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

exactly
I am genuinely opposed to playing the allergies card when there are none, it is the slippery slope of the emotional support animals. However, I do think JAL's policy is absurd here.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:12 pm

I am genuinely opposed to playing the allergies card when there are none, it is the slippery slope of the emotional support animals. However, I do think JAL's policy is absurd here.
you don’t need to say you have allergy. Just tell them you don’t eat egg and they should be able to just leave out the egg piece. My guess they don’t want people asking for 5 pieces of tuna at once. Do they really have problem leaving out the egg?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you don’t need to say you have allergy. Just tell them you don’t eat egg and they should be able to just leave out the egg piece. My guess they don’t want people asking for 5 pieces of tuna at once. Do they really have problem leaving out the egg?
The 5 pieces at once option has been gone for years, 3 pieces at a time only But so far you could replace and get 3 of the same, or just remove egg and add tuna.

However Japan is a rules based system, so you may actually face that they say no, standard set only those are the rules Reading the Japanese text, it does say that sushi comes in the above set of 3 only. Where the English is a bit more flexible saying 3 piece sets only. (can't remember the exact wording so am paraphrasing) I can't remember how it was worded in Japanese in the old sushi bar, but the English text is the same as before.
​​​​​​
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Exactly. I didn’t want to do the allergy card here. I also didn’t want to just reject the egg pieces quite yet to show the ridiculousness of it ... I’m back in a couple of weeks, I’ll try just rejecting them then and see what they say.

The 5 pieces at once option has been gone for years, 3 pieces at a time only But so far you could replace and get 3 of the same, or just remove egg and add tuna.

However Japan is a rules based system, so you may actually face that they say no, standard set only those are the rules Reading the Japanese text, it does say that sushi comes in the above set of 3 only. Where the English is a bit more flexible saying 3 piece sets only. (can't remember the exact wording so am paraphrasing) I can't remember how it was worded in Japanese in the old sushi bar, but the English text is the same as before.
​​​​​​
I thought I would have been the only one (or one of the relatively few) asking for custom combos, so i was a bit hesitant to complain - but several people standing in line, most of them Japanese, had similar questions and expressed similar surprise when they couldn’t. So it’s just weird policy on JAL’s part. They should also limit the number of times a customer can ask for a refill, then, because this incentivises complete waste, in my view - not that I’d be in agreement with that, of course.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

Exactly. I didn’t want to do the allergy card here. I also didn’t want to just reject the egg pieces quite yet to show the ridiculousness of it ... I’m back in a couple of weeks, I’ll try just rejecting them then and see what they say.

I thought I would have been the only one (or one of the relatively few) asking for custom combos, so i was a bit hesitant to complain - but several people standing in line, most of them Japanese, had similar questions and expressed similar surprise when they couldn’t. So it’s just weird policy on JAL’s part. They should also limit the number of times a customer can ask for a refill, then, because this incentivises complete waste, in my view - not that I’d be in agreement with that, of course.
Back in the day, I would usually add an extra piece of tuna, but once that was outlawed I don't think I have customised the order. But it has been very common to see people customising, especially Japanese passengers. So I can imagine the surprise. I wonder if the policy will stick...
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:55 am

Back in the day, I would usually add an extra piece of tuna, but once that was outlawed I don't think I have customised the order. But it has been very common to see people customising, especially Japanese passengers. So I can imagine the surprise. I wonder if the policy will stick...
I only ever ordered tuna, or occasionally salmon too. I could care less for the others, frankly - it was just a nice start of the day to have some (relatively nice) toro and such.

I’m certainly going to write a long complaint letter to JAL. As it is Japan, I quite expect them to apologise profusely and agree with me extensively and do precisely nothing about it, but hey. Worth a go.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:42 pm

I don't know if it is just a bad day, but the quality of the sushi has really gone downhill (from a few years ago), and it isn't just the "set" issue.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:46 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
you can skip the egg but that means you'll get 2 pieces instead of 3. (and if You skip teh salmon too, you'll get 1 piece)

surely you can say something about health issues (cholestrol) without going to allergies.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by kaka
you can skip the egg but that means you'll get 2 pieces instead of 3. (and if You skip teh salmon too, you'll get 1 piece)

surely you can say something about health issues (cholestrol) without going to allergies.
I think I figured it out.

I will just eat standing up, at the counter. Tachi-gui style. One piece at a time. :P
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by kaka

I am going to ask for tamago only next time
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:19 am

No one reported but the following are the table menu:

1)pasta plate - mushroom sauce spagetti
2) meat plate - grilled chicken with tomato and anchovy sauce
3) chilli concarne
4) sandwich plate - salad wrap kale and Cesar chicken
5) salad plate
6) tirimisu

the 2 ramen bowls as described jal tokotsu and the yuzu and salt
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by londonexpert
No one reported but the following are the table menu:

1)pasta plate - mushroom sauce spagetti
2) meat plate - grilled chicken with tomato and anchovy sauce
3) chilli concarne
4) sandwich plate - salad wrap kale and Cesar chicken
5) salad plate
6) tirimisu

the 2 ramen bowls as described jal tokotsu and the yuzu and salt
No one reported because the entire menu is on jal website

https://www.jal.co.jp/inter/service/...t/nrt_food.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.