Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Weather-related cancellation on JL and provision of accommodation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Just a question to pre-inform myself as it is possible that one of my domestic flights on JL will be cancelled due to weather (typhoon to be precise). JL website has HND and NRT listed for possible flight cancellation on 28 July.

Do JL normally arrange for accommodation if they cancel a domestic flight in the evening and there is no other flight available to the destination that day, and you are not a local?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Current estimate is that the typhoon will hit Tokyo late in the day the 28th, if you have an early flight you are probably OK.

Not sure what they will do, if you are seen as originating passenger they might not do much. I have never been offered accommodation then again they know my address though I never asked either. Same with NH who would not know my address. For both carries I booked on the Japan websites directly
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

It's an evening departure so unless the typhoon weakens or goes off the expected course, my flight is likely to be impacted.

I may have to make a flexible hotel booking in Tokyo in case it is needed, and cancel it if I don't need it.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:36 pm

JAL will not pay for anything when it is weather related. They might help you look up for a hotel if you can't do it by yourself.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The typhoon should be closest to Tokyo around 5pm by current estimates. It is going to make landfall around the Izu peninsula,, so probably Tokyo effects will be limited. But of course the inbound routing for the plane will also matter.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:35 am
Original Poster

It's the destination (ITM) weather that is also of some concerns. According to TAF the crosswind component is currently looking workable for both, however, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I was looking potentially at Shinkansen but it might fare worse given it has to go through Tokai with even worse forecast than Tokyo or Osaka, and Shinkansen tends to be delayed, suspended or cancelled above certain wind speed and/or rainfall (there are set limits and the forecast appears to be worse than the cancellation level in parts of Tokai).
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I am due to fly back to London Saturday late morming and currently everything looks like normal. No sign of any Typhoon if I look out of my my IC hotel room
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I am due to fly back to London Saturday late morming and currently everything looks like normal. No sign of any Typhoon if I look out of my my IC hotel room
It will take a while for the typhoon to reach Honshu yet because it's moving north-ish pretty slowly at around 20 mph.

You should still be OK this morning (that is, 28th).
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
My international flight has been delayed by 13 hours (overnight) because of the typhoon. Will JAL cover the costs of an additional night's accommodation? The call center told me they don't have a policy for weather related delays. Am I better off just going to the airport and seeing what they can offer?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:53 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by heartface
My international flight has been delayed by 13 hours (overnight) because of the typhoon. Will JAL cover the costs of an additional night's accommodation? The call center told me they don't have a policy for weather related delays. Am I better off just going to the airport and seeing what they can offer?
that’s what travel insurance is for. Airlines are not responsible for weather related delays.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by JALPak

that’s what travel insurance is for. Airlines are not responsible for weather related delays.
Airlines do have a duty of care for travellers stuck overseas when there is a travel delay (including weather related) but this may vary from region to region. In Europe airlines will generally provide meal vouchers and hotel accommodation on a best efforts basis should the delay be overnight. In my case this is indeed an overnight delay.

Not seeking assistance from the airline in the first instance may result in a delay or refusal of a travel insurance claim, hence my question.

For future reference, based on your answer, am I to take it that Japan Airlines does not provide customer assistance for weather related delays?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that the only region where airlines will generally provide hotels for weather related cancellations is the EU, based on EU261.

You don't mention where you are flying from, should that be Europe, then Eu261 will kick in, as it applies to non EU airlines departing the EU. And then duty of care according to this will be applicable.

But broadly speaking, otherwise JAL will not provide hotels for typhoon related delays/cancellations.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by heartface
Airlines do have a duty of care for travellers stuck overseas when there is a travel delay (including weather related) but this may vary from region to region. In Europe airlines will generally provide meal vouchers and hotel accommodation on a best efforts basis should the delay be overnight. In my case this is indeed an overnight delay. Others, of course, provide this as a customer service gesture based on class of service or status. Thus, a high status F passenger might get a hotel room under all circumstances even though the carrier has no obligation to provide one.

Not seeking assistance from the airline in the first instance may result in a delay or refusal of a travel insurance claim, hence my question.

For future reference, based on your answer, am I to take it that Japan Airlines does not provide customer assistance for weather related delays?
Air carriers only have a duty of care where it is either required by law or they contractually agree to it. EU carriers, departures from the EU, and under some circumstances departures from Turkey and Israel, all carry some form of this. EC 261/2004 is the most comprehensive.

Presuming that this is not an EU departure, JL is only obligated to provide accmmodations and meals for matters within its control e.g., mechanicals but not weather.

That would be for your travel insurance. Make sure you do know what is covered, what you need to prove coverage, and how much you can spend. Many typical US plans provide a set dollar amount after a set number of hours, leaving you free to spend as you please. Others are stickier.

Last edited by Often1; Oct 1, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:36 pm

Thanks for the replies. It was an intra-Asia flight. JL confirmed that they can assist with booking accommodation but will not cover any costs for weather related delays, which is fair enough. My travel insurance company has now approved the claim. Lesson here: travel delay insurance is a must during typhoon season (especially this year).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.