Wiki Posts
Search

JAL to adopt dynamic award pricing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:04 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Did not read the details, do you then at least earn miles if you pay that much? Or still just considered an award ticket.
just an award lol but his is the max amount so I assume this is for the case when flight is or JL expects it to be 99% full? If I am paying this amount for an award, might as well redeem amazon gift cards and sell them for cash LOL

now we know why JL ended the diamond benefit for opening an award seat by paying just paying double of standard miles
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak

just an award lol but his is the max amount so I assume this is for the case when flight is or JL expects it to be 99% full? If I am paying this amount for an award, might as well redeem amazon gift cards and sell them for cash LOL

now we know why JL ended the diamond benefit for opening an award seat by paying just paying double of standard miles
It will be interesting to see how the pricing plays out once it goes live.

I guess that is clear why that went away. They should at least give a discount on the dynamic pricing based on status level.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:18 pm

It will be interesting to see how the pricing plays out once it goes live.

I guess that is clear why that went away. They should at least give a discount on the dynamic pricing based on status level.
I am interested to see if the dynamic pricing is the same for everyone. If they are smart, they can implement price discrimination based on your travel habit and even search history e.g. this potential freeloader is trying to redeem a ticket to Japan to do a domestic run? Let’s charge him a fortune
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:40 am

By the way, anyone noticed PY redemption rates are listed for SAN and SEA but not for YVR? Does this mean SEA and SAN may get PY service at some point?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:07 am

I am hoping JL will change how awards will be released with award ticket PLUS. Hopefully at 330 days out, only PLUS awards are released at the price of standard + 1 mile to give JMB members the first dip....I know...it’s wishful thinking
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Massive JL award devaluation ("JAL Plus")

Surprised not to see a thread on this already.

Re: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jmb/award_renewal/

Not only are waitlists going away and mileage pricing is going to be inflated up to 6 fold over for some (likely most, given current trends) dates, but the biggest devaluation of all is that there will be no more int'l awards transiting Japan at all (JL seems to be trying to change itself from a true airline that offers int'l flights via Japan to a point-to-point LCC, by no longer ticketing [award] flights from A to Z via Japan at all): those will now need to be booked as two separate awards, and thus end up costing considerably higher. Only way around it seems to be to book other OneWorld airlines.

Seems that the most logical way to book JL flights connecting via Japan now will be via other OW airline FFPs, while the most logical way to use JL miles will be for other OW airline flights.

How strong is the opposition of to this massive devaluation by JL's FFs?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:25 am

Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Thanks!

Am I late to the party, just seeing this now (due to JAL e-mail notice). That's why I saw no current thread on this.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
I've already started moving away from JAL, due to some bad customer service experiences I had last year. This change in the award redemption rules just reinforces my decision. Not being able to change award reservations is a major issue for me. I now choose airlines based on whoever provides the best value in terms of price, convenience, and product. All of my international flights are in paid J or PY. Next month I am taking my family (4 people) on (gasp) UA, because their business fare was the same as JAL economy! (And JAL business was twice as much.)
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I've already started moving away from JAL, due to some bad customer service experiences I had last year. This change in the award redemption rules just reinforces my decision. Not being able to change award reservations is a major issue for me. I now choose airlines based on whoever provides the best value in terms of price, convenience, and product. All of my international flights are in paid J or PY. Next month I am taking my family (4 people) on (gasp) UA, because their business fare was the same as JAL economy! (And JAL business was twice as much.)
Originating in Japan? I mostly find United's business class pricing from Japan to be fully aligned with ANA business class pricing. And then more or less in line with JAL pricing. But if you have a good tip on booking from Japan, I'd be interested to know.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: JGC premier
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
As much as I’m unhappy with the devaluation, bad customer service experience is one thing that I would not associate with JAL. ever. And also the reason that I would never take a UA flight- I just want to be treated humanely, not as self loading cargo that can be dragged down the aisle and thrown off in case of overbooking..
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by bakaneko85

As much as I’m unhappy with the devaluation, bad customer service experience is one thing that I would not associate with JAL. ever. And also the reason that I would never take a UA flight- I just want to be treated humanely, not as self loading cargo that can be dragged down the aisle and thrown off in case of overbooking..
bad customer service happens everywhere. The JAL staff at LAX refused to deliver my boarding pass to the First Class Lounge and asked me to walk to the Business Class Lounge to get my boarding passes today. It’s only a few mins but it makes no sense for me to go there and walk back, and I had a meeting to attend and I had to wait till check-in is closed before I could get the boarding pass. The QF staff told me one of the staffs will deliver the boarding pass but the other wouldn’t. It happened to be the one wouldn’t on duty today. At the end I just got my boarding passes at the gate.

this is no big deal but it is the little things like this that separate the great from the good. And based on JL standard, this is “bad” customer service
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bad customer service happens everywhere. The JAL staff at LAX refused to deliver my boarding pass to the First Class Lounge and asked me to walk to the Business Class Lounge to get my boarding passes today. It’s only a few mins but it makes no sense for me to go there and walk back, and I had a meeting to attend and I had to wait till check-in is closed before I could get the boarding pass. The QF staff told me one of the staffs will deliver the boarding pass but the other wouldn’t. It happened to be the one wouldn’t on duty today. At the end I just got my boarding passes at the gate.

this is no big deal but it is the little things like this that separate the great from the good. And based on JL standard, this is “bad” customer service
Really?? I have always found the QF staff and JAL staff in the LAX lounge to be exceedingly helpful in these matters. So yeah, sending someone to the J lounge to get the boarding pass is a pretty big step down from their usual service.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:56 pm

Really?? I have always found the QF staff and JAL staff in the LAX lounge to be exceedingly helpful in these matters. So yeah, sending someone to the J lounge to get the boarding pass is a pretty big step down from their usual service.
yup, the failure is on JL side this time as the QF has been extremely helpful in the past. He said it’s just this one staff who wouldn’t do it. I wanted to find out who she is but too bad she’s not there when I got to the business lounge.

but then if you are using miles mainly to redeem Y/P/C JL flights, then service level wouldn’t even be factored in and I agree there’s no point of staying with JMB as others have better earn/burn rate. Upgrade award is a different scenario though and would require you to stay with JMB.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originating in Japan? I mostly find United's business class pricing from Japan to be fully aligned with ANA business class pricing. And then more or less in line with JAL pricing.
It's a regional route, not TPAC. On TPAC routes, my experience is the same as yours -- JL, AA, UA, and NH all tend to have the same fares. On TPAC you'll probably never see me on UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.