Search

JAL or BA claim ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:04 am
Gho
Original Poster

Programs: Ba, Iberia, icelandair
JAL or BA claim ?

I was booked with JAL on one ticket LHR-HEL-NAR/HAN-ITM (so London to Osaka). This was booked direct with JAL.

Outbound, after check-in, the LHR - HEL flight opertaed by BA was showing as being 40 minutes late. The ticketed route was a one-hour layover in HEL.

I proactively sought out BA staff (who were excellent) who re-booked me on ANA route LHR-HAN-ITM. This arrived at ITM 5 hours later than my original flight.

All well and good, but I understand that I can claim for the late flight under EU rules. 600 Euros.

Question - who do I go to JAL or BA ? (I understand they are One-World alliance so does it matter?)

Thanks

gho
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Generally, it would be the operating carrier of the delayed flight. So BA.

Did you ask about the reason for the delay? Not all delays are applicable for compensation. E.g. the last few days in Heathrow have been very windy, and there has been a fair number of delays caused by ATC limitations, and these would not be covered by compensation. You don't need to know the reason to make a claim, but if you know, it is possible to understand if it is a lost cause from the outset.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Can you provide the actual routing? Some of the airport codes don't look right.

NAR - you mean Narita NRT or Nare NAR?
HAN - you mean Haneda HND or Hanoi HAN?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:12 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Was it the flight on Nov16? Had you kept your original flights, you would have made your connections and arrived on time. MTC at HEL from BA to JL is only 40 min. The flight arrived at 16:29. Most likely JL would have held the flight for you.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
Was it the flight on Nov16? Had you kept your original flights, you would have made your connections and arrived on time. MTC at HEL from BA to JL is only 40 min. The flight arrived at 16:29. Most likely JL would have held the flight for you.
You would need to now they airport well to know what is possible, a colleague of mine made it from Finnair to JL in Helsinki with 15 minutes in between flights due to a delay. For a future case my recommendation would be to wait it out for even tighter connections than OP's. But people who are mainly used to the mess of connecting in Heathrow will probably have less confidence in the options.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:00 am
Gho
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
Can you provide the actual routing? Some of the airport codes don't look right.

NAR - you mean Narita NRT or Nare NAR?
HAN - you mean Haneda HND or Hanoi HAN?
NAR is indeed Narita and HAN is Haneda.

Apologies for the confusion, I'm not that au-fait with the full airport codes - note to self for the future.

gho
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:03 am
Gho
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You would need to now they airport well to know what is possible, a colleague of mine made it from Finnair to JL in Helsinki with 15 minutes in between flights due to a delay. For a future case my recommendation would be to wait it out for even tighter connections than OP's. But people who are mainly used to the mess of connecting in Heathrow will probably have less confidence in the options.
Indeed this may have been the case, but BA staff themselves insisted on the re-route. In these circumstances I would put myself under the advice of the professionals who deal with this stuff every day. And they recommended claiming for the delay. (But, not who to claim from - hence the original post).

Thanks for replies.

gho
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:12 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I've never been to HEL but I know it's a fairly small airport with a short MCT. Yea OP definitely should have waited it out, especially given the rerouted NH flight was scheduled to depart 8+ hours after the estimated departure time of his delayed flight.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gho
Indeed this may have been the case, but BA staff themselves insisted on the re-route. In these circumstances I would put myself under the advice of the professionals who deal with this stuff every day. And they recommended claiming for the delay. (But, not who to claim from - hence the original post).

Thanks for replies.

gho
In the end the is no perfect choice, until the benefit of hindsight kicks in. So as long as you were happy with the connection offered that is probably the main thing.

If you go to the BA forum, there is a very detailed thread about claiming EU261 compensation from BA. If it is your first claim, that thread will be helpful. And people are generally good at passing helpful advice for claims handling with BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.