Search

My first experience with JAL Sky Suite

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
My first experience with JAL Sky Suite

Hello

I had a great trip on the 787-8/9 last weeks on the JAL Sky Suite and I agree it is the best Business Class seat that I've been to. It is better than most of the 4-5 star carrier in Asia. The seat looks cramped in the photo but it is so wide in person.

Here are my other thoughts

The monitor screen is huge but the display quality is not HD, and the safety video seems like from the 90s.

I've seen somewhere that they used the white tablecloth, not sure why did they switch to the blue recently.

The pillow is large but for me and others, it is thin like a paper, I need to ask 1 more and I like the PY pillow.

The cabin is warm but not as hot as on NH.

There is no hand and face lotion for such a premium airline/ cabin. The amenities kit is also very average.

I think both Japanese airlines are cutting on the catering. The breakfast is very limited in economy and business has anytime you wish, the food is great and generous but would be bored if repeat the same route. However, it is much better than NH.

For NRT-SYD, the catering is better with a dinner course, however, they still serve in a tray, hopefully, they will remove the tray for lunch and dinner. There is no cheese and fruit service unless you ask them as they are on the anytime menu. This is very different to all other carriers.

Japan is an amazing place for sweet and dessert but both japanese airlines are very weak in term of dessert, just a simple slice of cake in a tiny bowl...

There is a food/drink icon on the magic controller but I cannot order food or drink there, maybe bc of night flight?

Overall it is a great experience and im eventually switching to JMB now.

Last edited by nikkoap92; Nov 1, 2017 at 11:37 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by nikkoap92
There is a food/drink icon on the magic controller but I cannot order food or drink there, maybe bc of night flight?
I've seen other people note that too. Maybe it's not fully implemented?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:30 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mwalsh
The crew can choose to disable it for operational reasons
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Hello

I had a great trip on the 787-8/9 last weeks on the JAL Sky Suite and I agree it is the best Business Class seat that I've been to. It is better than most of the 4-5 star carrier in Asia. The seat looks cramped in the photo but it is so wide in person.

Here are my other thoughts

The monitor screen is huge but the display quality is not HD, and the safety video seems like from the 90s.

I've seen somewhere that they used the white tablecloth, not sure why did they switch to the blue recently.

The pillow is large but for me and others, it is thin like a paper, I need to ask 1 more and I like the PY pillow.

The cabin is warm but not as hot as on NH.

There is no hand and face lotion for such a premium airline/ cabin. The amenities kit is also very average.

I think both Japanese airlines are cutting on the catering. The breakfast is very limited in economy and business has anytime you wish, the food is great and generous but would be bored if repeat the same route. However, it is much better than NH.

For NRT-SYD, the catering is better with a dinner course, however, they still serve in a tray, hopefully, they will remove the tray for lunch and dinner. There is no cheese and fruit service unless you ask them as they are on the anytime menu. This is very different to all other carriers.

Japan is an amazing place for sweet and dessert but both japanese airlines are very weak in term of dessert, just a simple slice of cake in a tiny bowl...

Overall it is a great experience and im eventually switching to JMB now.
I am almost always proactively asked if I want the cheese selection before the dessert. I don't know if I just look like someone that likes cheese. But if they don't offer it just ask when they clear the main course.

The current table cloth has been around since I started having JAL as my main carrier, so it goes back a while.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I am almost always proactively asked if I want the cheese selection before the dessert. I don't know if I just look like someone that likes cheese. But if they don't offer it just ask when they clear the main course.

The current table cloth has been around since I started having JAL as my main carrier, so it goes back a while.
That gives away how long you have been flying with JL They switched to the current one ~3 years ago.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
That gives away how long you have been flying with JL They switched to the current one ~3 years ago.
I became a very regular JAL customer in early 2014. Company moved the buying agreement from ANA at that time. Before that more random. Interestingly enough we always had our Hong Kong flights with JAL.

Which is still not a recent change of table cloth....

​​​​​You still get the odd glass or cutlery with the old business class logo instead of the crane. So the basic design of those must have been around far longer.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:26 pm

I became a very regular JAL customer in early 2014. Company moved the buying agreement from ANA at that time. Before that more random. Interestingly enough we always had our Hong Kong flights with JAL.

Which is still not a recent change of table cloth....

​​​​​You still get the odd glass or cutlery with the old business class logo instead of the crane. So the basic design of those must have been around far longer.
I guess airlines will keep on using the last-gen product until they are broken or became unusable. Or else everytime they change logo or theme, massive stocks would be left to waste (which ofcourse they can sell it to the public)
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALlover
I guess airlines will keep on using the last-gen product until they are broken or became unusable. Or else everytime they change logo or theme, massive stocks would be left to waste (which ofcourse they can sell it to the public)
If they only change the logo, I don't see any reason to do otherwise. But often when airlines do an update they change the base design as well, not just the logo. It is tbh not that often airlines change their logo.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:39 pm

Sure they don't often, its expensive and most airlines won't want to until they need to.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by mwalsh
I've seen the new Sky Suite III which doesn't have the magic control with the screen so maybe they eventually remove this option?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:43 pm

I've seen the new Sky Suite III which doesn't have the magic control with the screen so maybe they eventually remove this option?
SKY SUITE III aren’t used on routes with Any Time You Wish menu.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak
SKY SUITE III aren’t used on routes with Any Time You Wish menu.
Yet.... Haha
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:25 am

Yet.... Haha
Technically it had, just not regularly scheduled. They sub SS7 with a SS2 the other day on LAX
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I agree that the Sky Suite is top notch. I'm no expert, but it's my favorite so far! Staggering to allow the 6 across with direct aisle access afford JL the density to keep the pitch as big as it is. I was looking at the new DL A350 suite, which has a door but you seem right on top of the screen (as your feet go into a cubby that projects into the next row under someone's arm).
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:25 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.