FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   JAL Does Not Participate in Pre-Check? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1867555-jal-does-not-participate-pre-check.html)

CPH-Flyer Jan 14, 2018 10:42 am

Originally Posted by werDrD (Post 29291677)
Any chance JAL will join TSA Precheck in 2018? ANA started in Oct 2017.

They might in the next wave, now that they are done with the PSS transfer.

JALPak Jan 14, 2018 11:51 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29291779)
They might in the next wave, now that they are done with the PSS transfer.

not done yet. Airport system migration is ongoing till March. At least that’s what aviation wire says

CPH-Flyer Jan 14, 2018 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29291966)

not done yet. Airport system migration is ongoing till March. At least that’s what aviation wire says

OK, now that they are approaching the end of PSS transfer. :D

aikinai Jan 15, 2018 6:12 am

I really hope ANA's support incites some urgency in JAL; flying back from the US without pre-check is the worst.

JALPak Jan 15, 2018 6:19 am

Originally Posted by aikinai (Post 29294602)
I really hope ANA's support incites some urgency in JAL; flying back from the US without pre-check is the worst.

Not really, I was at LAX T4 and the pre-check line was longer than the regular priority lines. I don’t mind taking off shoes, etc.

Always Flyin Jan 30, 2018 10:09 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29294625)

Not really, I was at LAX T4 and the pre-check line was longer than the regular priority lines. I don’t mind taking off shoes, etc.

Really?

And you don't mind taking your electronics and Kippy Bag out of your carry-on? You don't mind taking your light coat off? You don't mind taking everything out of your pockets? And you don't mind placing yourself in the surrender position while they bombard your entire body with millimeter waves?

Well, I DO care.

knit-in Jan 30, 2018 11:08 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 28863552)
If the premium line is consistently slower than standard line, no one is preventing you from using the standard line :)

The times I have departed from T1 with JAL it has been pretty quick and painless though.

Are these the late morning departures from JFK? Evening rush is crazy at T1 with departures to Europe.

CPH-Flyer Jan 30, 2018 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in (Post 29358313)
Are these the late morning departures from JFK? Evening rush is crazy at T1 with departures to Europe.

Yes, I have generally been on the morning JAL departure from JFK.

Often1 Jan 30, 2018 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin (Post 29358037)
Really?

And you don't mind taking your electronics and Kippy Bag out of your carry-on? You don't mind taking your light coat off? You don't mind taking everything out of your pockets? And you don't mind placing yourself in the surrender position while they bombard your entire body with millimeter waves?

Well, I DO care.

The fallacy is the notion that the length of the line matters. It is the length of time it takes to make it through the checkpoint that matters. As a rule of thumb, Pre-Check processes approximately 7 passengers in the time it takes for the steerage line to handle 1. Unless the Pre-Check line is 7 times longer than the regular, there is a benefit to Pre-Check above and beyond the hassle factor of laptops, 3-1-1 bag and jacket.

knit-in Jan 30, 2018 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29359608)
Yes, I have generally been on the morning JAL departure from JFK.

Good to know. I'm on the 11 am to NRT in a few weeks. My first time ever on a pre- 6pm departure from T1.

travelerguru Feb 17, 2018 9:42 am

Got a quick question about the JAL boarding pass TSA Precheck issue... If I am traveling on JAL, but they are the first leg of a three leg itinerary will the TSA pre be printed on my AA boarding passes? I am guessing not, but does anyone know for certain? I am only flying JAL into Tokyo and then transiting to an AA flight landing in Dallas. But since JAL is the first airline I suspect my TSA pre will not be printed on my AA boarding passes either. In addition in case someone asks, all flights were booked directly with AA. My last few flights are with AA also in the US. Can someone confirm?

rustykettel Feb 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by travelerguru (Post 29427537)
Got a quick question about the JAL boarding pass TSA Precheck issue... If I am traveling on JAL, but they are the first leg of a three leg itinerary will the TSA pre be printed on my AA boarding passes? I am guessing not, but does anyone know for certain? I am only flying JAL into Tokyo and then transiting to an AA flight landing in Dallas. But since JAL is the first airline I suspect my TSA pre will not be printed on my AA boarding passes either. In addition in case someone asks, all flights were booked directly with AA. My last few flights are with AA also in the US. Can someone confirm?

Just make sure your TTN is on your AA reservation. It won't be printed on your JAL printed boarding passes but it should be on your AA printed ones (such as reprinted at an AA kiosk or AA's website or in the app). Since you're flying AA from Tokyo and Precheck is meaningless at Japanese transit security, just ask the AA gate agent there to reprint your onward boarding passes.

I've had no issues getting Precheck on participating carriers' sectors even if the first flight was on JAL Worked for both AA and Alaska.

travelerguru Feb 18, 2018 5:03 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 29428066)

Just make sure your TTN is on your AA reservation. It won't be printed on your JAL printed boarding passes but it should be on your AA printed ones (such as reprinted at an AA kiosk or AA's website or in the app). Since you're flying AA from Tokyo and Precheck is meaningless at Japanese transit security, just ask the AA gate agent there to reprint your onward boarding passes.

I've had no issues getting Precheck on participating carriers' sectors even if the first flight was on JAL Worked for both AA and Alaska.

My KTN is in my AA account, it was typed in after I got the number. What I am mainly concerned is that because JAL is not part of the Precheck that their system will not even be able to print the AA tickets with the Pre-check on it. But yes, I had considered if it was not to go to the AA desk in Tokyo at the gate and ask them to reprint my boarding pass which will hopefully then have it. App boarding passing would also carry the precheck? I have never used my phone as a boarding pass. Not even sure how to access that part. But it is good to know that you have never had any issues getting non-participating carriers' to print participating carriers precheck status on those portions.

aikinai Feb 18, 2018 6:58 am

I think what rustykettel was saying is that there's never a problem getting pre-check boarding passes from pre-check participating carriers. JAL will definitely not print pre-check on any of your boarding passes. You will have to get a boarding pass from American to get pre-check on it. But I can confirm I do that all the time and have also never had a problem. If you're behind security, it doesn't matter anyway; if you have to leave and go back though security, just stop by the pre-check participating carriers desk and get a new boarding pass before re-entering.

Often1 Feb 18, 2018 7:37 am

Originally Posted by travelerguru (Post 29429932)
My KTN is in my AA account, it was typed in after I got the number. What I am mainly concerned is that because JAL is not part of the Precheck that their system will not even be able to print the AA tickets with the Pre-check on it. But yes, I had considered if it was not to go to the AA desk in Tokyo at the gate and ask them to reprint my boarding pass which will hopefully then have it. App boarding passing would also carry the precheck? I have never used my phone as a boarding pass. Not even sure how to access that part. But it is good to know that you have never had any issues getting non-participating carriers' to print participating carriers precheck status on those portions.

JL is not a participating Pre-Check carrier. Period. JL cannot issue BP's to any passenger for any flight which are Pre-Check eligible. Period.

If you are connecting from JL to a Pre-Check carrier such as AA, you will need to obtain a new BP from the onward carrier, such as AA, in order to be considered for and to obtain Pre-Check.

This may be doable online if you OLCI through AA, at a kiosk at your connection airport, at an AA counter, or customer service desk. But, to be clear, Pre-Check will be available if you obtain your AA BP from an AA channel.