FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   JAL Does Not Participate in Pre-Check? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1867555-jal-does-not-participate-pre-check.html)

Art234 Sep 18, 2017 10:05 am

JAL Does Not Participate in Pre-Check?

So my research indicates that JAL does not participate in Pre-Check, meaning it won't appear on my boarding pass. Is there any way to get it on a flight from JFK? Does showing the Global Entry ID at the checkpoint do anything?

I just hate going through the "chamber"....

Thanks

JALPak Sep 18, 2017 10:20 am

It doesn't participate in precheck so no it won't be on your JL boarding pass.

lcpteck Sep 18, 2017 10:21 am

That's right, it doesn't participate, period.

jix Sep 18, 2017 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Art234 (Post 28829744)
So my research indicates that JAL does not participate in Pre-Check, meaning it won't appear on my boarding pass. Is there any way to get it on a flight from JFK? Does showing the Global Entry ID at the checkpoint do anything?

I just hate going through the "chamber"....

Thanks

No, fly in F/J there is supposedly a special lane for premium passengers at JFK T1. Although it's not too bad of a wait at security, I've taken both JL departures and it's about 10-15 minutes wait at most.

HKQT Sep 20, 2017 2:52 pm

I called JAL today and gave them my known #. They inputted into the system. Not sure what that will do (if any).

I have an upcoming flight from JFK to SIN.....

CPH-Flyer Sep 20, 2017 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by HKQT (Post 28839706)
I called JAL today and gave them my known #. They inputted into the system. Not sure what that will do (if any).

It will not do anything, as JAL is not participating in pre check

Often1 Sep 20, 2017 7:48 pm

To be very clear. JL does not participate in pre-check. Game over.

You may call and give them your cousin's birthdate and if they are nice, they will enter that in the PNR notes too.

I suspect that JL does this because it gets tons of calls about the issue and the easiest thing to do is to tell callers that they are "inputting the number into the system." Maybe they are.

geronimo Sep 27, 2017 12:56 am

As others have said, it'll achieve nothing. To add insult to injury, you'll join the standard biz/first class line for ID check, which often seems to take longer than the economy line. At that point, any semblance of fast track or premium processing disappears and you're directed to join a security line with all passengers.

For whatever reason, TSA at T1 is consistently worse than the others at JFK, IMHO.

CPH-Flyer Sep 27, 2017 1:41 am

Originally Posted by geronimo (Post 28863500)
As others have said, it'll achieve nothing. To add insult to injury, you'll join the standard biz/first class line for ID check, which often seems to take longer than the economy line. At that point, any semblance of fast track or premium processing disappears and you're directed to join a security line with all passengers.

For whatever reason, TSA at T1 is consistently worse than the others at JFK, IMHO.

If the premium line is consistently slower than standard line, no one is preventing you from using the standard line :)

The times I have departed from T1 with JAL it has been pretty quick and painless though.

geronimo Oct 2, 2017 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 28863552)
If the premium line is consistently slower than standard line, no one is preventing you from using the standard line :)

I fear that you’re conflating two ideas and in danger of misquoting me. Appearing to be slower and actually being so are not the same thing, hence my decision to slum it in the premium line :-)
And consistency only applies to the awfulness of the shouty baggage screeners who enjoy barking commands at passengers. YMMV, and that’s a good thing if it’s less painful than what I’ve experienced.

armagebedar Oct 25, 2017 7:26 pm

Now that ANA participates in Precheck, JAL better step up their game...!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-...-precheck.html

hamburgler Oct 26, 2017 8:43 pm

I suspect JAL will get their new PSS going before thinking about PreCheck...

JALPak Oct 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by hamburgler (Post 28982236)
I suspect JAL will get their new PSS going before thinking about PreCheck...

Exactly. No point of wasting resource to implement it with the existing system. And how many people actually would benefit from this? Last I checked TBIT doesn't even offer PreCheck. So at least 2/9 daily flights won't benefit from it. :p

rustykettel Oct 27, 2017 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 28982253)
Exactly. No point of wasting resource to implement it with the existing system. And how many people actually would benefit from this? Last I checked TBIT doesn't even offer PreCheck. So at least 2/9 daily flights won't benefit from it. :p

Not yet, but enough carrier participate in it, it'll be added outright. As it stands you can enter via T4 Precheck or just use Precheck Lite through TBIT baggage claim security checkpoint.

werDrD Jan 14, 2018 10:17 am

Any chance JAL will join TSA Precheck in 2018? ANA started in Oct 2017.