FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   JAL Does Not Participate in Pre-Check? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1867555-jal-does-not-participate-pre-check.html)

Art234 Sep 18, 2017 10:05 am

JAL Does Not Participate in Pre-Check?

So my research indicates that JAL does not participate in Pre-Check, meaning it won't appear on my boarding pass. Is there any way to get it on a flight from JFK? Does showing the Global Entry ID at the checkpoint do anything?

I just hate going through the "chamber"....

Thanks

JALPak Sep 18, 2017 10:20 am

It doesn't participate in precheck so no it won't be on your JL boarding pass.

lcpteck Sep 18, 2017 10:21 am

That's right, it doesn't participate, period.

jix Sep 18, 2017 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Art234 (Post 28829744)
So my research indicates that JAL does not participate in Pre-Check, meaning it won't appear on my boarding pass. Is there any way to get it on a flight from JFK? Does showing the Global Entry ID at the checkpoint do anything?

I just hate going through the "chamber"....

Thanks

No, fly in F/J there is supposedly a special lane for premium passengers at JFK T1. Although it's not too bad of a wait at security, I've taken both JL departures and it's about 10-15 minutes wait at most.

HKQT Sep 20, 2017 2:52 pm

I called JAL today and gave them my known #. They inputted into the system. Not sure what that will do (if any).

I have an upcoming flight from JFK to SIN.....

CPH-Flyer Sep 20, 2017 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by HKQT (Post 28839706)
I called JAL today and gave them my known #. They inputted into the system. Not sure what that will do (if any).

It will not do anything, as JAL is not participating in pre check

Often1 Sep 20, 2017 7:48 pm

To be very clear. JL does not participate in pre-check. Game over.

You may call and give them your cousin's birthdate and if they are nice, they will enter that in the PNR notes too.

I suspect that JL does this because it gets tons of calls about the issue and the easiest thing to do is to tell callers that they are "inputting the number into the system." Maybe they are.

geronimo Sep 27, 2017 12:56 am

As others have said, it'll achieve nothing. To add insult to injury, you'll join the standard biz/first class line for ID check, which often seems to take longer than the economy line. At that point, any semblance of fast track or premium processing disappears and you're directed to join a security line with all passengers.

For whatever reason, TSA at T1 is consistently worse than the others at JFK, IMHO.

CPH-Flyer Sep 27, 2017 1:41 am

Originally Posted by geronimo (Post 28863500)
As others have said, it'll achieve nothing. To add insult to injury, you'll join the standard biz/first class line for ID check, which often seems to take longer than the economy line. At that point, any semblance of fast track or premium processing disappears and you're directed to join a security line with all passengers.

For whatever reason, TSA at T1 is consistently worse than the others at JFK, IMHO.

If the premium line is consistently slower than standard line, no one is preventing you from using the standard line :)

The times I have departed from T1 with JAL it has been pretty quick and painless though.

geronimo Oct 2, 2017 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 28863552)
If the premium line is consistently slower than standard line, no one is preventing you from using the standard line :)

I fear that you’re conflating two ideas and in danger of misquoting me. Appearing to be slower and actually being so are not the same thing, hence my decision to slum it in the premium line :-)
And consistency only applies to the awfulness of the shouty baggage screeners who enjoy barking commands at passengers. YMMV, and that’s a good thing if it’s less painful than what I’ve experienced.

armagebedar Oct 25, 2017 7:26 pm

Now that ANA participates in Precheck, JAL better step up their game...!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-...-precheck.html

hamburgler Oct 26, 2017 8:43 pm

I suspect JAL will get their new PSS going before thinking about PreCheck...

JALPak Oct 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by hamburgler (Post 28982236)
I suspect JAL will get their new PSS going before thinking about PreCheck...

Exactly. No point of wasting resource to implement it with the existing system. And how many people actually would benefit from this? Last I checked TBIT doesn't even offer PreCheck. So at least 2/9 daily flights won't benefit from it. :p

rustykettel Oct 27, 2017 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 28982253)
Exactly. No point of wasting resource to implement it with the existing system. And how many people actually would benefit from this? Last I checked TBIT doesn't even offer PreCheck. So at least 2/9 daily flights won't benefit from it. :p

Not yet, but enough carrier participate in it, it'll be added outright. As it stands you can enter via T4 Precheck or just use Precheck Lite through TBIT baggage claim security checkpoint.

werDrD Jan 14, 2018 10:17 am

Any chance JAL will join TSA Precheck in 2018? ANA started in Oct 2017.

CPH-Flyer Jan 14, 2018 10:42 am

Originally Posted by werDrD (Post 29291677)
Any chance JAL will join TSA Precheck in 2018? ANA started in Oct 2017.

They might in the next wave, now that they are done with the PSS transfer.

JALPak Jan 14, 2018 11:51 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29291779)
They might in the next wave, now that they are done with the PSS transfer.

not done yet. Airport system migration is ongoing till March. At least that’s what aviation wire says

CPH-Flyer Jan 14, 2018 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29291966)

not done yet. Airport system migration is ongoing till March. At least that’s what aviation wire says

OK, now that they are approaching the end of PSS transfer. :D

aikinai Jan 15, 2018 6:12 am

I really hope ANA's support incites some urgency in JAL; flying back from the US without pre-check is the worst.

JALPak Jan 15, 2018 6:19 am

Originally Posted by aikinai (Post 29294602)
I really hope ANA's support incites some urgency in JAL; flying back from the US without pre-check is the worst.

Not really, I was at LAX T4 and the pre-check line was longer than the regular priority lines. I don’t mind taking off shoes, etc.

Always Flyin Jan 30, 2018 10:09 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29294625)

Not really, I was at LAX T4 and the pre-check line was longer than the regular priority lines. I don’t mind taking off shoes, etc.

Really?

And you don't mind taking your electronics and Kippy Bag out of your carry-on? You don't mind taking your light coat off? You don't mind taking everything out of your pockets? And you don't mind placing yourself in the surrender position while they bombard your entire body with millimeter waves?

Well, I DO care.

knit-in Jan 30, 2018 11:08 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 28863552)

The times I have departed from T1 with JAL it has been pretty quick and painless though.

Are these the late morning departures from JFK? Evening rush is crazy at T1 with departures to Europe.

CPH-Flyer Jan 30, 2018 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in (Post 29358313)
Are these the late morning departures from JFK? Evening rush is crazy at T1 with departures to Europe.

Yes, I have generally been on the morning JAL departure from JFK.

Often1 Jan 30, 2018 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin (Post 29358037)
Really?

And you don't mind taking your electronics and Kippy Bag out of your carry-on? You don't mind taking your light coat off? You don't mind taking everything out of your pockets? And you don't mind placing yourself in the surrender position while they bombard your entire body with millimeter waves?

Well, I DO care.

The fallacy is the notion that the length of the line matters. It is the length of time it takes to make it through the checkpoint that matters. As a rule of thumb, Pre-Check processes approximately 7 passengers in the time it takes for the steerage line to handle 1. Unless the Pre-Check line is 7 times longer than the regular, there is a benefit to Pre-Check above and beyond the hassle factor of laptops, 3-1-1 bag and jacket.

knit-in Jan 30, 2018 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29359608)
Yes, I have generally been on the morning JAL departure from JFK.

Good to know. I'm on the 11 am to NRT in a few weeks. My first time ever on a pre- 6pm departure from T1.

travelerguru Feb 17, 2018 9:42 am

Got a quick question about the JAL boarding pass TSA Precheck issue... If I am traveling on JAL, but they are the first leg of a three leg itinerary will the TSA pre be printed on my AA boarding passes? I am guessing not, but does anyone know for certain? I am only flying JAL into Tokyo and then transiting to an AA flight landing in Dallas. But since JAL is the first airline I suspect my TSA pre will not be printed on my AA boarding passes either. In addition in case someone asks, all flights were booked directly with AA. My last few flights are with AA also in the US. Can someone confirm?

rustykettel Feb 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by travelerguru (Post 29427537)
Got a quick question about the JAL boarding pass TSA Precheck issue... If I am traveling on JAL, but they are the first leg of a three leg itinerary will the TSA pre be printed on my AA boarding passes? I am guessing not, but does anyone know for certain? I am only flying JAL into Tokyo and then transiting to an AA flight landing in Dallas. But since JAL is the first airline I suspect my TSA pre will not be printed on my AA boarding passes either. In addition in case someone asks, all flights were booked directly with AA. My last few flights are with AA also in the US. Can someone confirm?

Just make sure your TTN is on your AA reservation. It won't be printed on your JAL printed boarding passes but it should be on your AA printed ones (such as reprinted at an AA kiosk or AA's website or in the app). Since you're flying AA from Tokyo and Precheck is meaningless at Japanese transit security, just ask the AA gate agent there to reprint your onward boarding passes.

I've had no issues getting Precheck on participating carriers' sectors even if the first flight was on JAL Worked for both AA and Alaska.

travelerguru Feb 18, 2018 5:03 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 29428066)

Just make sure your TTN is on your AA reservation. It won't be printed on your JAL printed boarding passes but it should be on your AA printed ones (such as reprinted at an AA kiosk or AA's website or in the app). Since you're flying AA from Tokyo and Precheck is meaningless at Japanese transit security, just ask the AA gate agent there to reprint your onward boarding passes.

I've had no issues getting Precheck on participating carriers' sectors even if the first flight was on JAL Worked for both AA and Alaska.

My KTN is in my AA account, it was typed in after I got the number. What I am mainly concerned is that because JAL is not part of the Precheck that their system will not even be able to print the AA tickets with the Pre-check on it. But yes, I had considered if it was not to go to the AA desk in Tokyo at the gate and ask them to reprint my boarding pass which will hopefully then have it. App boarding passing would also carry the precheck? I have never used my phone as a boarding pass. Not even sure how to access that part. But it is good to know that you have never had any issues getting non-participating carriers' to print participating carriers precheck status on those portions.

aikinai Feb 18, 2018 6:58 am

I think what rustykettel was saying is that there's never a problem getting pre-check boarding passes from pre-check participating carriers. JAL will definitely not print pre-check on any of your boarding passes. You will have to get a boarding pass from American to get pre-check on it. But I can confirm I do that all the time and have also never had a problem. If you're behind security, it doesn't matter anyway; if you have to leave and go back though security, just stop by the pre-check participating carriers desk and get a new boarding pass before re-entering.

Often1 Feb 18, 2018 7:37 am

Originally Posted by travelerguru (Post 29429932)
My KTN is in my AA account, it was typed in after I got the number. What I am mainly concerned is that because JAL is not part of the Precheck that their system will not even be able to print the AA tickets with the Pre-check on it. But yes, I had considered if it was not to go to the AA desk in Tokyo at the gate and ask them to reprint my boarding pass which will hopefully then have it. App boarding passing would also carry the precheck? I have never used my phone as a boarding pass. Not even sure how to access that part. But it is good to know that you have never had any issues getting non-participating carriers' to print participating carriers precheck status on those portions.

JL is not a participating Pre-Check carrier. Period. JL cannot issue BP's to any passenger for any flight which are Pre-Check eligible. Period.

If you are connecting from JL to a Pre-Check carrier such as AA, you will need to obtain a new BP from the onward carrier, such as AA, in order to be considered for and to obtain Pre-Check.

This may be doable online if you OLCI through AA, at a kiosk at your connection airport, at an AA counter, or customer service desk. But, to be clear, Pre-Check will be available if you obtain your AA BP from an AA channel.

travelerguru Feb 19, 2018 9:17 am

Ok, then I misread the first message. That means JL will not bring Precheck on my AA boarding passes either so I will have to get them at the gate in Tokyo for the transfer I have in Dallas. What a pain in butt. The whole system is a joke.

What is OLCI?

rustykettel Feb 19, 2018 10:24 am

Originally Posted by travelerguru (Post 29434020)
Ok, then I misread the first message. That means JL will not bring Precheck on my AA boarding passes either so I will have to get them at the gate in Tokyo for the transfer I have in Dallas. What a pain in butt. The whole system is a joke.

What is OLCI?

Online check-in-- checking in via the airlines' website.

It's a bit more because JAL is currently not participating, but I would expect that eventually they will as more and more non-US carriers join.

I've found asking a GA to reprint a boarding pass takes just a couple moments, and usually not much of a wait. You can also go to a AA check in counter at DFW. You'll be on the landslide there anyways due to International arrival but the line would probably be longer than the Tokyo gate podium. ;)

Also, welcome to Flyertalk! I missed that initially in the mobile version.

aikinai Feb 19, 2018 5:30 pm

I'm pretty sure I've made exactly that transfer in Dallas and you're going to walk right by an American desk after you pass customs (where you will recheck your bag if you have one). When I've been, the desk was not busy and you can just walk up and say you'd like to print another boarding pass. It should take less than a minute.

I've never tried printing it at the American desk before I even leave Tokyo. I'm curious if that works.

travelerguru Feb 19, 2018 7:50 pm

I planned to get the reprinted boarding pass in Tokyo not in Dallas. As my flight transfer in Tokyo is on JAL, and then AA from Tokyo to Dallas and then another AA flight from Dallas to another city. I am assuming I can get the reprinted boarding pass in Tokyo, and I will try it and post back here afterwards yeah or nay. If I cannot then I will do what you said in Terminal D just after customs where I drop my bag back off with customs and then find the AA desk to get the new boarding pass. I am assuming that the gate in Tokyo should be able to do it because at that point it is AA not JAL. But I will let you all know in a couple of weeks.

aikinai Feb 19, 2018 7:52 pm

Oh okay, I didn't realize your Tokyo flight was on AA. Yeah, that sounds like it would work fine then.

Barkinpark Feb 20, 2018 7:43 pm

One trick I used was to buy a fully refundable ticket for departure on the same day on a TSA PreCheck-OK airline. Once you are done with TSA, cancel your ticket. It sounds dumb but it works.

knit-in Feb 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Flew the 11;05 am to NRT last wednesday. Security at JFK was a breeze. That time of the day is a stark contrast from the usual Terminal 1 chaos in the evening.

travelerguru Feb 23, 2018 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Barkinpark (Post 29440351)
One trick I used was to buy a fully refundable ticket for departure on the same day on a TSA PreCheck-OK airline. Once you are done with TSA, cancel your ticket. It sounds dumb but it works.

Yeah but that would require a lot of research also because it's a bit of a pain and some questions asked if you check into Terminal A but actually your flight is in Terminal F. At a place like LAX where there is yet to be a inside security system at many terminals that ticket could raise red flags.

Barkinpark Feb 26, 2018 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by travelerguru (Post 29452195)
Yeah but that would require a lot of research also because it's a bit of a pain and some questions asked if you check into Terminal A but actually your flight is in Terminal F. At a place like LAX where there is yet to be a inside security system at many terminals that ticket could raise red flags.

I learned this trick from numerous blogger posts. Seems have to have been working for years. I do this when I need to use TBIT. The TSA Pre-check agent checking my ID at LAX T4 (AA) told me that he has seen customers use T4 Pre-check for TBIT flights. TBIT lines are horrible--no Pre-check lane at all, and premium lanes only on one side of the terminal. It's an extra 5 to 7-min walk from TBIT to T4 with luggage, but one saves at least 20 min (if not 30ish min) with Pre-check.

In fact, the LAX website explicitly states that passengers with a same-day boarding pass can use TSA lines at any terminal.

I don't know if this works at a different airport, but certainly does at LAX.

travelerguru Mar 16, 2018 8:37 am

UPDATE and RESULT for JAL FLIGHTS and TSA PRECHECK on BOARDING PASSES at NARITA!

For everyone transiting through Narita here is the scoop...

Indeed at the JAL desk in Taiwan TSA precheck was NOT printed on my AA boarding passes as expected. Once I arrived in Narita I approached the JAL transfer desk, but I already had a boarding pass so there was nothing they could do. So on to the AA lounge as I was flying business class. They can and did reprint my other two two boarding passes and both had the TSA precheck mark in the upper left hand side of the boarding pass. Problem solved! And I will saw at DWF there was NO ONE at the Global Entry machines! It was completely empty! It took me somewhere around 30-40 minutes from airplane door to security checkpoint to get to my transit gate. And there was virtually no one at the security checkpoint.

There is a small possibility that even if you are not flying business class the AA lounge at Narita may be able to help at the lounge, if not, you will need to wait until you get to the gate to change your boarding pass. In addition at least at DFW after you get through immigration and customs there is a whole line of AA ticket counters before you give your bags back to the transfer people for your transit flight. They surely can reprint your boarding pass. That was in Teriminal D. Note also that in Narita the gate area is small, VERY small and very disorganized, shocking actually for Japan. It was completely chaotic. There were no signs up for boarding 5 minutes before boarding was to begin, everyone was standing around as there are no seats which complicates the problem more. When they finally put the signs up it was a mad dash to line up in the correct line. What a CF.

Note one very important thing, on my way back, I curve side checked my bags in the US. They can only print ONE boarding pass, and only for domestic flights I think, which means if you have transit flights like I did then you will need to get your transit boarding pass at the gate. And the bad thing is that you have to wait until your flight is up on the boards and the staff for your flight has arrived to get that printed. And they, at least for me, could not print out an international boarding pass from JAL at an AA gate. As my flight from NRT was to Taipei on JAL. Same issue going in reverse. So in Dallas at the AA lounge I had them print it out, but they warned me that some boarding passes were not printing for international airlines, Cathay Pacific was mentioned and Korean Air was mentioned. So best NOT to curve side check your bags leaving the USA and transiting. I won't do that again as I had to talk to three different people at different airports to get all three of my boarding passes. Lessen learned.